Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time on pre-op diet.. will I fail with sleeve?

I haven't done that great on the pre-op diet. I have two more NUT visits. I've lost about 10 pounds total since September..

Am I going to fail at the sleeve? I know what to do, and how to do it. I exercise a lot.. but I find myself eating things I'm not supposed to.. does this mean I can even succeed with the sleeve?

Well, eventually you will be able to "eat things you're not supposed to" with sleeve, so it is possible to fail. You won't, however, be able to eat massive quantities of things you're not supposed to. For instance, you might be able to eat a piece or two of pizza, but not the whole thing. Now, is a piece or two of pizza once in a while going to derail your whole weight loss journey? No. But if you are eating pizza every day instead of high-Protein, healthy options, then yes, you can stop losing and even gain weight. The sleeve is just a tool to help you eat less. But if you don't fix other aspects of your eating, then it won't be fully effective for you.

No one is perfect and everyone will eat some "bad" stuff from time to time. But it's important to reflect on why you are eating things you shouldn't and try to address those behaviors as well.

It may. This is as much a mental issue as it is a physical one. If your food addiction is so great that you cannot follow your nutritionist instructions, perhaps counseling is needed. This is not a magic cure all. You have to eat right and follow a healthy eating plan. The pre-op diet in addition to preparing your body for surgery is also to help you prepare mentally.

the 10 day Pre-op diet while working just about gave me a nervous breakdown. Was incredibly moody, stiff muscles, and constantly hungry. For the 6-month preop I lost 10 pounds and then gained most of it back when I fell off the wagon. I'm now 1 week post-op and doing great. Do I have some cravings? Absolutely. Do I go to the store and see "trigger" foods that make my mouth Water, certainly. But It's been a quick lesson in the difference between head and stomach hunger, and getting used to just having to "take it slow"

I think the main part of the pre-op is just trying to make you aware of what you will need to do after surgery. My surgeon didn't require a set amount of weight to be taken off. but I tried as I could. I slowly weeded out carbs, junk food, carbonation, etc. And now I'm six weeks out and its been a breeze. Its a total different experience than pre-op. You can't eat as much, you don't want to eat either. I'm speaking personally mind you.

I only lost 20 lbs pre-op, but after surgery, I'm getting close to 60 lbs.

I'm only just shy of 2 weeks out, but I wouldn't totally judge your inability to lose weight before you've had surgical intervention. I don't know you or how you think you'd fail...i think that's the important part. If you're a compulsive binger, for instance, the surgery could be dangerous for you until you get that under control. But if you're just struggling with making the right food choices all the time, you'll probably be fine.

Excellent time for some soul-searching, though. Right? :)

I struggled with the pre-op diet. I had two weeks of only liquids, no food whatsoever. I only lost like 6 lbs. I'm two months one week post op now and am down 60 lbs. Get your mind right and get determined and you will do awesome things ???? good luck!

I'm just on the 6 month required nutrition plan. It has definitely been eye opening. I notice that I am a very emotional eater and eating definitely affects my moods.. I just keep messing up, although I am staying the course. I've always been good with exercise, I actually exercise a lot.. its just the portions..

and then.. my nutritionist advised that I should go for the RNY.. which threw me for a loop because I've been planning the sleeve the whole time.

I'm just wondering if this will make a difference, because I'm terrified I go through all this and end up back at at square one in a few years. I want this weight gone.. but I'm just always hungry! Massive appetite.. but learning to question whether i'm really hungry, or am I just bored.. or emotional.. or PMSing..

and of course all the stress from getting ready for th surgery doesn't help either!

It is helpful to see people who struggled that have been successful though.

Now I just need to decide.. do I go the full monty with the RNY or stick with the sleeve.