Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeding my family?

Hi all! I am preop (surgery is scheduled for 3/2). I'm wondering if anyone has ideas/tips on what to cook for your family postop. I'm mostly concerned with the first month or 2 while I'm on liquids and soft mushy foods. Was cooking agonizing for you at that time? Thanks in advance! :-)

You could do Soups in the crock pot and chilis. Creamy Tomato Soup and grilled cheese (for them). Black bean soups with guac and grilled fajitas (for them). Shrimp bisque, soft grilled chicken thighs over Cesar salad with grilled bread (for them). I did an egg drop Soup with soft eggs, and peas and potstickers and sauteed broccoli and shrimp (for them). Split pea soup with ham and chopped salad (for them). Get where in going with this?.....

honestly I refrained from cooking for that first month post op. Knowing I was going to be on liquids and mushy foods I did not want to be tempted.

I made sure I had meals prepared and frozen before I actually started the pre op liquid diet. I knew it would be difficult once that started. Thank goodness my family was super supportive. In fact my husband would refrain from eating in front of me which I had to tell him many many times how ridiculous that was. He finally understood that it did not bother me at all. Post surgery I had no appetite for the first 8 weeks.

Thanks! I like the idea of prepping ahead. I also like the idea of cooking something I can eat with whatever I'm making for them. I'd better get to it! :-)

I cook 2-3x a day and it doesn't bother me at all. I cook whole, natural foods, that are healthy. It always smells amazing but I stay away and eat what I'm allowed. Makes me feel more normal to have my regular routine. After surgery you just don't have the same desires as before and the head game isn't as difficult. I enjoy helping my little family learn good habits and nutrition and I'll join them with tiny portions soon! ;)

In fact my husband would refrain from eating in front of me which I had to tell him many many times how ridiculous that was. He finally understood that it did not bother me at all. Post surgery I had no appetite for the first 8 weeks.

I am looking forward to my husband figuring this out as well. I'm three weeks post-op and he's still tiptoeing around me about eating anything he thinks I will be jealous of. I keep saying I don't care and it doesn't bother me and I have no interest in it myself, but he's apparently a slow learner. ;)

I cooked regular meals for them. When I was on liquids for 2 weeks, I just had my Tomato juice or broth while they ate their meals. Then during my next two weeks while I was on mashed food, I would do the same. My surgery was even a few weeks before father's day. I was still on liquids at the time. We went together to Golden Corral. They ate the buffet. I took my Gatorade and fish crackers with me. We sat together and enjoyed the company.

It got easier later, after I was able to start trying regular food to see what I tolerated.

Im a single parent, and my daughter is only 8, not old enough to really cook much for herself. I cooked for her everyday, and for me it wasn't much of an issue. I cooked normal for her and made myself Soup or whatever else I was tolerating that day. The first few weeks while you're healing seems to drag on forever waiting for the freedom to eat a more diverse diet, but once it's past it seems like it flew by. Just take it one day at a time and do what you can. Remember, outside of infants, other family members are usually capable of making themselves a sandwich or heating up leftovers for themselves. If you can't handle it to cook for them, ask for help.

Thanks for the input! I know it's only a couple of weeks, but I enjoy cooking for my family! :-) I hope I feel like most of you and it won't bother me!

I used the pre-surgery time to fill the freezer with things they could heat and eat, or bake and eat. I knew I wouldn't want to cook for a while after.

Now, three months post surgery, I make dinner as usual, though I am making better meals than I used to (lower carb, more veggie choices, leaner proteins) and I don't eat everything I serve, and I don't eat as much, of course

The other night, I made chili dogs and tater tots. (As an example of a not-so-healthy meal). But I used all-beef hot dogs, turkey chili (low fat), and also served salad. They ate everything; I ate one hot dog, with chili and a sprinkling of cheese (no bun) and salad. No tots.

Pretty much anything I would make for my family, I can eat myself. They eat more bread and carbs that I do, but there's still plenty on the table for me to enjoy.

I prepped meals for while I would be away and for a week after. But now I love being in the kitchen and cooking for the family because I have always been a fanatic cook but 1) I'm not hungry 2) I can plan what I will cook because I'm not driven by my own cravings 3) there's always leftovers to portion up for people!