Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know the skin doesnt pop back into shape but I was curious if there was a time frame that you did notice firming. Trying to determine time frames to get plastics done after I hit goal.

Some of the looseness is better a year later. It's not better by much, but it is a bit firmer. I don't know that it makes a difference in terms of plastic surgery but I figured I could at least respond to your question based on my experience.

My surgeon told me the earliest I should think about plastics is 18 months after surgery. That's the earliest point when weight is stable and you have a sense of how much your skin is going to bounce back. It was a 15-second exchange at most, so I don't know more than that. I'm just 3 weeks post-RNY so I filed it away for future reference.

My surgeon said to wait 2 years post MGB to get plastic surgery.

Has anyone lost 100 pounds and not been able to afford the skin surgery? I won't and I want to know how bad it will look.

Lynne Anne,

It depends on how heavy you were, what shape you were in, and also on your age. I have lost 131 pounds, am 54 and not in very good shape! So it isn't very pretty. I can't afford plastics either, and I'm scared of the pain. As far as I go, the butt is my worst, sorry tmi! It's okay, unless you want to wear a bikini or revealing clothes. Short sleeves are kind of uncomfortable for my wings. But this is just me, and you might heal better, depends also on the condition of your skin. I was told working out helps.

Lynne Anne,

It depends on how heavy you were, what shape you were in, and also on your age. I have lost 131 pounds, am 54 and not in very good shape! So it isn't very pretty. I can't afford plastics either, and I'm scared of the pain. As far as I go, the butt is my worst, sorry tmi! It's okay, unless you want to wear a bikini or revealing clothes. Short sleeves are kind of uncomfortable for my wings. But this is just me, and you might heal better, depends also on the condition of your skin. I was told working out helps.

Thanks for your reply, I am 56. I am NOT in shape! I am currently 247 and pre-op I see my surgeon Wednesday. I have alot of stretch marks on my abdomen already so I'm worried about hanging skin there. I really want the surgery but I want to go in with my eyes open.

Thanks for your reply, I am 56. I am NOT in shape! I am currently 247 and pre-op I see my surgeon Wednesday. I have alot of stretch marks on my abdomen already so I'm worried about hanging skin there. I really want the surgery but I want to go in with my eyes open.

Hi @lynneanne. I'm also 56 and was not in shape either. I've lost 150 lbs. and I have alot of loose skin. Having said that, between body shapers, and certain clothing styles...no sleeveless, no shorts or dresses above the knee, I look just fine. As far as more intimate situations, I can only give you my experience and for me, my fella also has a band and is still about 40 lbs. from his goal weight so neither of us fixates on the things that are far from perfect. We simply enjoy the intimacy. Hope that helps you some. Oh and one more thing. The loose skin is worth the weight loss. I've never felt that being overweight was in any way advantageous over the skin issues.

I am 41and was overweight my entire life unless WLS. I have excess skin and would love plastics but it is not in my immediate future. I am in shape now and while I do have excess skin from 39 years of obesity, it is livable and continues to improve. I highly recommend you weight train during this process. This was yesterday:

post-161802-14221645070163_thumb.jpg

Wow Erp you look great. Straight up guns!

Make your skin as happy and healthy as you can. It's your largest organ in your body. Lots of Water, high quality food and Protein, no hot tubs or tanning and take cool showers for a year and get muscle behind the skin with weight training. Genetics plays into this, some things you can't control. But give yourself every chance possible to let your body shrink your skin naturally. There isn't a magic product out there which will shrink it. Healthy and hydration is your best bet. And then you evaluate after a year. Yes I have lose skin going into month four, but who knows down the road. And I have invested in compression gear for the gym and dates. There is Spanx for guys. ;-) Healthy beats vanity, and the other benefits blow the lose skin problem away (see previous comments in "sex, oh my god sex" in the men's forum) ;-)

Lynne Anne,

They sell a product right in the drug store in a little bottle, called BIO-OIL. It does help get rid of scars and also helps some with stretch marks. A little goes a long way. And a good moisturizing lotion also is a good idea. I'm sorry if I scared you. I really do feel so much better now and the skin is easier to deal with vs. health issues.

Maggie0210

Lynne Anne,

They sell a product right in the drug store in a little bottle, called BIO-OIL. It does help get rid of scars and also helps some with stretch marks. A little goes a long way. And a good moisturizing lotion also is a good idea. I'm sorry if I scared you. I really do feel so much better now and the skin is easier to deal with vs. health issues.

Maggie0210

Maggie0210, I appreciate everything you have told me. All you advice is so valuable and I can not thank you enough for sharing it with me. I will try to find Bio-Oil.