Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who supports right to choose

Are you Pro Life  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Pro Life

• for Pro Life
    • for pro choice
    • pro choice only for extreme cases ie Mothers in danger of death

At five weeks the baby is the size of a sesame seed. at 6 weeks the size of a lentil (About 1/4 inch). 7 weeks around the size of a blueberry...

Are you talking gestational age or fetal age? Because there is a difference of approximately 2 weeks. One is measured from conception and the other is measured from the first date of the mother's last period.

Gestational...the age that most sites use when showing the growth of the fetus and the progress of the pregnancy.

Gestational...the age that most sites use when showing the growth of the fetus and the progress of the pregnancy.

I have found the websites to be about 50/50 on gestational vs. fetal age.

So when you say 5 weeks you're talking about 3 weeks fetal age?

If life starts at conception then the age would be the same...? Yes when I say 5 weeks I guees it means 3 weeks to you which I don't quite understand...

all of the web sites that I went to for my pregnancy calendar used the same age...?

If life starts at conception then the age would be the same...? Yes when I say 5 weeks I guees it means 3 weeks to you which I don't quite understand...

Conception doesn't happen on the first date of the mother's last period. She releases the egg and is fertile approximately 14 days into her cycle, at which time conception, if it is going to happen, takes place. So when someone measures pregnancy from the first date of your last period, they're not measuring from Day 1 of the baby's life. They're pre-dating the baby's life by 2 weeks.

Does that make sense?

yes I understand...I just always go by that same dating...so then most women find out they are pregnant when the baby is only 2-4 weeks old...so when prolifers say heartbeat starts at 6 weeks (or whatever it is) do they mean the pregnancy is 8 weeks along or the actual fetus is 8 weeks old (which will mean 10 weeks pregnant)?

yes I understand...I just always go by that same dating...so then most women find out they are pregnant when the baby is only 2-4 weeks old...so when prolifers say heartbeat starts at 6 weeks (or whatever it is) do they mean the pregnancy is 8 weeks along or the actual fetus is 8 weeks old (which will mean 10 weeks pregnant)?

The heart starts beating at 21 days after conception, or roughly a week after the mother's first missed period. That's usually about the time a mother finds out she's pregnant.

The heart starts beating at 6 weeks...so the fetus would be 4 weeks old

The heart starts beating at 6 weeks...so the fetus would be 4 weeks old

Real Alternatives - free, caring and completely confidential pregnancy support services.

Fetal development: What happens during the first trimester? - MayoClinic.com

Pre-Natal Information

Pregnancy Forum - Fetal Heart Rate

The heart begins to beat at 18-21 days after conception, 3 weeks fetal, 5 weeks gestational.

wow I was off by 5-6 days! Kill me! I was just going by what my doctor told me....since I was just pregnant. Whatever, I really cannot stomach to discuss this anymore tonight.

wow I was off by 5-6 days! Kill me!

Just responding to your correction of what I said; trying to present the facts, not slay you.

gadget: "Which is why I say, WE DO NOT KNOW!!! It could be at 8 or 9 weeks as the one article I posted believes, it could be at 20 weeks as one of your articles believes, or it could be at some other time. One of the articles you posted even said it's sometime after birth (do you really believe that could be the case)?"

Interesting that you admit that "we do not know" yet you have persisted in posting links that claim to know.

Interesting also that you claim that this is not a "religious" issue, that it is a "scientific" issue. It is quite obvious that one's belief on this issue is inextricably intertwined with one's religious beliefs.

It is understandable why you back away from the religious aspects of the argument. You can't win your case if it is solely based on religious beliefs. With science, it is far more easily debatable. And if one is willing to use extremely biased propaganda and questionable pictoral resources, it becomes even easier to make the case that babies are human beings that feel pain and have all the rights of a fully developed person.

But when pushed against the proverbial wall, even you admit that "we don't know."

All of this, all the discussion, all the links, all the outrageous comparisons to slavery, all the emotional baggage that each and every one of us bears, whether religion-based or not, points to the one fact that we all should know and admit - this is an issue that neither you or I should be deciding for each other. This is an issue that is far too complicated and far too personal to reduce it to a simple case of right and wrong. There are occasions when even you would probably admit, if you were being truthful, that an abortion is the only viable and reasonable action to be taken.

All this arguing scientific, religious, philosophical and sometimes just simply emotional issues just prove exactly what the pro-choice proponents believe. Women HAVE the right to choose - no matter what you say, no matter what the government says. We have that right. It is our religion that comes into play. It is our scientific research that we are able to interpret, and our emotional and philosophical opinoins that count when we have to make a choice. Yours count when they apply to you.

Beautifully said. Finally someone else to weigh in...I was starting to feel abandoned :cursing: lol.

Sorry, I mean to be here for you, but sometimes I really tire of exchanging barbs with gadget.

On the other hand, I just can't let certain of her posts go by without some rebuttal.

You actually do not need my help though. You're handling the thing beautifully!