Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who supports right to choose

Are you Pro Life  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Pro Life

• for Pro Life
    • for pro choice
    • pro choice only for extreme cases ie Mothers in danger of death

I was under the impression that the IUD was another form of birth control which worked by causing the fertilized egg to not adhere to the walls of the womb - in short, a kind of abortion. This is what a Catholic doc told me when I was casting about for a safer alternative to the Pill - at the time I was a smoker and was entering into my 30s.

This is also correct information.

Thanks for the info re the IUD. Fortunately for me, that ship has sailed a long time ago! I went through menopause when I was comparatively young - about 41 or 42 - and in this took after my mum (heredity did play a role - mum went through hers when she was 39, just 6 weeks after she had her last baby).

Menopause was a very positive experience for me. I didn't have to worry about getting pregnant, nor were there those painful menstrual cramps to deal with. It was for this reason that I did not go on HRT until about 5 years post menopause.

I'm anxiously awaiting menopause! I asked my gyn to do a hysterectomy but she won't.

Didn't you get pregnant while on the pill (if I remember correctly?)? There's that break-through ovulation for ya'!

I'm anxiously awaiting menopause! I asked my gyn to do a hysterectomy but she won't.

Not to wish fibroids on anyone, but that's why I had a hysterectomy (my tubes are still intact). I always had very painful cramps followed by a solid week of :). It was such a blessing not to face that again.

Thankfully, we had already had our children and weren't planning on any additions. I know this can be heartbreaking for someone younger, but if you're not planning on any more children, and you have very painful/heavy periods, the surgery really is worth it. I've had no complications. Only :tt1:.

Didn't you get pregnant while on the pill (if I remember correctly?)? There's that break-through ovulation for ya'!

Nope, I was using the diaphragm and spermicide at the time. Mine was very well fitted. It was like a suction cup once in place.

Menopause was fabulous for me and for my mum. As for her, there were no side-effects. One period 6 weeks after she gave birth to my kid bro and then it was as though "a tap had been turned off" - her words. I did have some hot flashes but because I was building aircraft at the time my bosses were convinced that I was working hard. LOL The other men would gather round me whenever I was deep into a hot flash in order to gawk. I would warn them that they would be going through this soon enough via their wives. In the Canadian winter, these were most useful but in the summer they were intolerable! My husband missed being able to cuddle with me, and I became a fan of natural fabrics. LOL

Not to wish fibroids on anyone, but that's why I had a hysterectomy (my tubes are still intact). I always had very painful cramps followed by a solid week of :). It was such a blessing not to face that again.

Thankfully, we had already had our children and weren't planning on any additions. I know this can be heartbreaking for someone younger, but if you're not planning on any more children, and you have very painful/heavy periods, the surgery really is worth it. I've had no complications. Only :tt1:.

I wish. My period is a full week long and I get it every 25 days. I feel like I'm bleeding almost 1/3 of my life! Plus bloating, cramps, clotting, and overall blech. And I sure would like to not have to worry about getting pregnant anymore!

I keep trying to talk her into it. Fibroids run in my family and I have a tendency towards cysts as well. Sigh.

Nope, I was using the diaphragm and spermicide at the time. Mine was very well fitted. It was like a suction cup once in place.

Ahhh. Sorry I mis-remembered. It's hard to keep track of everyone and their history. My aunt (the one who didn't like babies) had two diaphragm babies due to a tilted uterus. Then she got her tubes tied. I wish I had had that done the last time they were "in there" (during my last c-section).

I wish. My period is a full week long and I get it every 25 days. I feel like I'm bleeding almost 1/3 of my life! Plus bloating, cramps, clotting, and overall blech. And I sure would like to not have to worry about getting pregnant anymore!

I keep trying to talk her into it. Fibroids run in my family and I have a tendency towards cysts as well. Sigh.

I could have written your post. Are you absolutely sure there's no fibroids to speak of...:)

I had my tubes tied the day after my last was born, just a few years before my hysterectomy. That ended up being kind of a waste, but, oh well. It was nice not to have to worry with contraceptives.

How did your aunt, the one who wasn't crazy about babies, deal with her pair of diaphragm kids?

I could have written your post. Are you absolutely sure there's no fibroids to speak of...:)

I was ecstatic when she told me she thought I had a fibroid (I know, weird, but . . .). The follow-up ultrasound 3 months later showed nothing but a small cyst. I might push her more next time, but only if she could do a vaginal one (I don't want to be opened up again). Of course, now I'm changing insurance and she doesn't take my new one, so I'd have to pay out of pocket.

How did your aunt, the one who wasn't crazy about babies, deal with her pair of diaphragm kids?

Well, she's very small so she didn't have good pregnancies. 2 c-sections. The doctor said her hips were so narrow that she would never be able to deliver, so they didn't even bother letting her go into labor.

From what I understand, my uncle took care of the babies as infants (changing, feeding, holding, etc.). She is a brilliant woman but, surprisingly, is somewhat "afraid" of babies. She would never hold my kids as infants, but now that they're older she gets along with them great. I think the lack of logic in infants is what put her off -- you can't talk to them or logically figure out what's going on.

That being said, once past the infant stage, she is a great mother.

"I might push her more next time, but only if she could do a vaginal one (I don't want to be opened up again)."

Even though it's been several years ago, mine was done vaginally. I recovered very quickly, and was able to take a group of cub scouts to resident camp six weeks later.

The only thing was more poor belly button was getting a workout. First, my tubal ligation was through my naval, then my gall bladder was removed through my naval, then they used my naval as one of the openings for my hysterectomy. I should have had a zipper installed. :)

That's too bad about the insurance though.

Edited by kiz

If there's one thing I learned being a breast cancer patient and watching my husband die of esophageal cancer and just being an intelligent person is to be your own advocate for your health. No doctor is ever going to care about you or your health like you do. As many posters can tell you on this and other forums - many doctors are wrong. So I do my own research and ask a lot of questions and I'm sure some of my doctors aren't used to being questioned. Too bad. If you take everything your doctor says as the truth you are jeopardizing your health. What he told you didn't even sound reasonable.

I'll give you an example. I get copies of all test results. When I had an upper GI before my WLS it said I had esophagitis. I had had an endoscopy about 3 years earlier that didn't show this. So I was suspicious. I went to my family doctor and told him that while I think an upper GI can show reflux and hiatal hernias it doesn't seem to me that it would be a very good diagnostic tool for esophagitis which is inflammation in the lining of the esophagus. He agreed that an endoscopy is a better test - so he ordered one. And guess what? No esophagitis. That diagnosis might have disqualified me from WLS but because I am a proactive patient I followed up.

I like what you said about being involved in your own healthcare. Drs. are only human, too. But in this case with the provera, he was correct after all. But I agree about being proactive in your care. Very important

They almost did a full hysterectomy when I had the c-section to rescue my son. They had the kit out and everything, but they decided to try to save my uterus...we'll see if their hard work paid off if I get pregnant and carry the baby :) fingers crossed hopefully we'll start trying for our second baby soon :tt1:

I agree with this post. Know-it-all Pattygreen's extreme approach, that of acting as her God's hall monitor, certainly is alienating and turns people off.

I prefer not to call people names. If you are turned off by my opinions and comments, you know where the ignore button is. I, personally, like to hear all points of views on isssues, and I don't get angry when I don't agree with what you have to say.

It seems to be predicated on the punitive, old testament approach.

Thou shalt not commit murder is not just omething from the old testament. Even Jesus idn the New Testament reafirmed this. Even people today follow this law in every country.

Of course, I have already mentioned that it is characteristic of many teens to indulge in risk-taking behaviour. They are not capable of drawing a line between the act and the consequences; this is, as much as anything, due to developments in their specific psychology. They are growing up and learning and a certain degree of rebelliousness is part of the learning process.

Who said I didn't agree with that?

Pattygreen seems to derive some kind of perverse joy in irritating us by telling us what she - oops! God wants us to do. As to why, who the hell knows? She does not hang out with her co-religionists on the Christian threads. I know; I have checked.

What's it to you where I post?

Thank you so much. My husband was deployed to Iraq 2 weeks after the birth of our son. We got the daddy doll before he left so that he could get his scent on it for our son. My husband came home for his R and R just in time for our sons surgeries and then he had to turn around and go back. A few weeks later his best friend lost his life to the war and a month after that my husband was shot leaving shrapnel in his hand. They took him to the "hospital" there are put on a bandaid and sent him back out to fight. My husband is my hero. We are high school sweethearts and he is the only man I have ever had concentual sex with. I love him and our son so much. I am very lucky to have such a strong man for a husband :). He's been a great cheerleader through this LapBand process! He's great. Thank you for looking at our pictures! I am very proud of how far our son has come :tt1: While I do believe in abortions...if they would have told me that my son would be born with these problems and that I could terminate...I wouldn't, in a million years. When I was pregnant I said no to the Amnio (They said it's a good thing I did because I probably would have gone into preterm labor and lost him) because it wouldn't have changed the way I felt for my baby. I wouldn't have aborted because the baby would have downs. I almost lost my life giving birth to my son who was technically born dead and I would do it all over again to see his wonderful smile! But not every woman would have felt this way...a lot of women would have seen him as deformed and may have aborted him...and they should have the right to do so...if that is what they feel would be right for them and their baby.

rodriguezequal ,

I too looked at your myspace page and pix. You have a beautiful family and your son is a beautiful little boy. I had twins 4 months premature I was 23 weeks along when I delieverd, and they were 1 lb and 2 lbs. it was a very scary time for us. and my small twin was left with mild CP, learning disabilities, eye issues ect. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. They are 23 now, and while she still has her issues she is a beautiful young woman.

You and your husband are very lucky to have him.

While I believe in abortion, but not as a means for birth control. and I believe it should only be legal up to 12 weeks. Later for for medical reasons, health of mother.

We knew that there was problems with my pregnancy and had the option to try and abort one, But we choose not to, Drs wanted us to. But I stayed on bed rest for most of the pregnancy until it became a health issue for me.

Again you boy is beautiful!!!