Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who supports right to choose

Are you Pro Life  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Pro Life

• for Pro Life
    • for pro choice
    • pro choice only for extreme cases ie Mothers in danger of death

God put the responsibility on the parents to teach and train up their children in the way they should go. If you fail to do this, and leave them to learn about Him from others, then you are disobeying Him.

If you believed in him .

Mindy

What your doctor told you was basically correct, if not technically accurate. That being said, you didn't need to avoid sex for three months -- only during the times you were fertile! I remember the 6 weeks of doctor-proscribed abstinence after delivery were the hardest thing about pregnancy (we didn't make it the entire 6 weeks after either baby). Too bad you didn't have the information about only avoiding sex surrounding ovulation to avoid 3 months of frustration :hurray:. At the very least, you could have used a condom.

Thank you gadget, for looking that up. I was pretty sure that he told me that after the sperm met the egg, it could get washed out of you. I specifically asked him if it was like the earliest abortion anyone can get, and he said technically, yes.That was 17 years ago. I believe it was when that drug was new to us.

I just looked up on a google search of depo provera and read alot about how this form of birth control aborts a baby. Therefore, if you are prolife and using it, you may want to reconsider. All sites confirmed it. Except the planned parent site and a few abortion clinics. They posted that the provera kept the sperm from reaching the egg. (but I believe that they have an agenda, and therefore kept out the part that the egg and the sperm meet and the wall becomes thin and the fertilized embryo can not attach to it and is washed out of the woman.)

I think it is a little extreme to think that hormonal birth control is an early form of abortion. As long as birth control is taken exactly as prescribed, there is VERY little chance of causing a pregnancy. It is very reliable. Advising people to avoid it and use something else like a condom or something very unreliable is more likely to cause an unwanted pregnancy. I think it is very irresponsible for prolifers to be saying this.

I did not look up any info on depro provera. I took what my dr. told me as truth.

If there's one thing I learned being a breast cancer patient and watching my husband die of esophageal cancer and just being an intelligent person is to be your own advocate for your health. No doctor is ever going to care about you or your health like you do. As many posters can tell you on this and other forums - many doctors are wrong. So I do my own research and ask a lot of questions and I'm sure some of my doctors aren't used to being questioned. Too bad. If you take everything your doctor says as the truth you are jeopardizing your health. What he told you didn't even sound reasonable.

I'll give you an example. I get copies of all test results. When I had an upper GI before my WLS it said I had esophagitis. I had had an endoscopy about 3 years earlier that didn't show this. So I was suspicious. I went to my family doctor and told him that while I think an upper GI can show reflux and hiatal hernias it doesn't seem to me that it would be a very good diagnostic tool for esophagitis which is inflammation in the lining of the esophagus. He agreed that an endoscopy is a better test - so he ordered one. And guess what? No esophagitis. That diagnosis might have disqualified me from WLS but because I am a proactive patient I followed up.

Any type of hormonal birth control can make the uterus inhospitable to a fertilized egg. But it is VERY unlikely that there would even be a fertilized egg in the first place, especially with Depo Provera. It is very irresposible for prolifers to be telling women this.

I think it is a little extreme to think that hormonal birth control is an early form of abortion. As long as birth control is taken exactly as prescribed, there is VERY little chance of causing a pregnancy. It is very reliable. Advising people to avoid it and use something else like a condom or something very unreliable is more likely to cause an unwanted pregnancy. I think it is very irresponsible for prolifers to be saying this.

I totally agree with you Carrie

Mindy

I was under the impression that the IUD was another form of birth control which worked by causing the fertilized egg to not adhere to the walls of the womb - in short, a kind of abortion. This is what a Catholic doc told me when I was casting about for a safer alternative to the Pill - at the time I was a smoker and was entering into my 30s.

She sure didn't approve of the IUD on moral grounds. She practically chased me out of her office after I innocently asked about it. I personally didn't think that it would work for me as I suffered from very bad menstrual cramps and I had read that the IUD could aggravate those.

I was looking in the new In Touch magazine and they have an article in there about the Octuplet mom. They said something about her website and then they polled people: Nadya was accepting donations on her website. Would you give her money? 1 % said Absolutely, 5% said Maybe and the other 94% said never...I fall in the never area...lol Just thought I would share :)

Thanks for sharing; I find these statistics to be fascinating.

I had the Paragard and it lessened my cramps. I loved having an IUD. I didn't have to think about it or anything.

Your approach to this issue is rooted in a rigid religious dogma that is not shared by the majority of Americans who support a woman's right to choose to have an abortion or give birth and keep the baby or put it up for adoption. That is why so called prolifers like you will never win this battle and make abortion criminal. Instead, if you are really interested in making a difference and reducing the number of abortions and not just throwing everyone in jail in a fire and brimstone retribution way, then you need to use your energy to promote sensible sex education and birth control because not everyone believes in God. Or that they should abstain from sex outside of marriage. That is a religious belief not one that is held by government of the people....If people have jobs, health insurance, access to birth control and good health care - abortions go down. When they don't - abortions go up. Right now this country has the biggest gap between the rich and everyone else since 1928. Real wages have dropped. All these trying and hard economic times create desperate women. Helping to solve these problems reduces abortion. And teenage girls who think they will just have sex and if they get pregnant will get an abortion won't think any differently if it is illegal. There will always be someone who knows someone who knows this lady....and the result of that will be a dead teenager and her fetus. I don't want that. Do you? Do you think the teen who takes or sells drugs thinks about jail because it is a crime? If that were the case, our drug problem would be solved. Same with criminalizing abortion. You just want punishment instead of solutions which is why your extreme and radical religious approach will never work to change any laws.

I agree with this post. Know-it-all Pattygreen's extreme approach, that of acting as her God's hall monitor, certainly is alienating and turns people off. It seems to be predicated on the punitive, old testament approach. Of course, I have already mentioned that it is characteristic of many teens to indulge in risk-taking behaviour. They are not capable of drawing a line between the act and the consequences; this is, as much as anything, due to developments in their specific psychology. They are growing up and learning and a certain degree of rebelliousness is part of the learning process.

Pattygreen seems to derive some kind of perverse joy in irritating us by telling us what she - oops! God wants us to do. As to why, who the hell knows? She does not hang out with her co-religionists on the Christian threads. I know; I have checked.

I had the Paragard and it lessened my cramps. I loved having an IUD. I didn't have to think about it or anything.

Thanks for the info re the IUD. Fortunately for me, that ship has sailed a long time ago! I went through menopause when I was comparatively young - about 41 or 42 - and in this took after my mum (heredity did play a role - mum went through hers when she was 39, just 6 weeks after she had her last baby).

Menopause was a very positive experience for me. I didn't have to worry about getting pregnant, nor were there those painful menstrual cramps to deal with. It was for this reason that I did not go on HRT until about 5 years post menopause.

Break-through ovulation is not uncommon when using hormonal birth control. That's why women can get pregnant using it, circumventing both the original intent (prevention of fertilization) and the secondary fall-back (making the womb inhospitable to the fertilized egg). The numbers are generally considered to be below 10% (break-through ovulation), the quantity of which are fertilized from those is unknown. The numbers increase pretty quickly when one or more pill is missed (if the pill is the method used) during the month.

Why would we want to hide information from women? I thought we were all for correct medical information being provided? This isn't irresponsible at all. It's factual.

If there's one thing I learned being a breast cancer patient and watching my husband die of esophageal cancer and just being an intelligent person is to be your own advocate for your health. No doctor is ever going to care about you or your health like you do. As many posters can tell you on this and other forums - many doctors are wrong. So I do my own research and ask a lot of questions and I'm sure some of my doctors aren't used to being questioned. Too bad. If you take everything your doctor says as the truth you are jeopardizing your health. What he told you didn't even sound reasonable.

I agree completely. That being said, what he told her was basically accurate, albeit a bit of a strange way to word it, but she didn't have the internet to do the research when it happened (it was too long ago). Have you ever researched the link between breast cancer and abortion? Just curious.