Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the downside?

For me the downsides would be that if I eat to quickly I barf, I can't sit down and eat a meal like a normal person, I can't have too much sugar or I get sick, and I can't chug Water. I also get randomly barfy over food that usually doesn't make me sick, I need to use a straw or I can't really drink a lot, and I am reminded everyday that I gave up 80% of my stomach so that I could be thin. I don't get to enjoy Nachos during football games, I have to be insanely careful about what I eat on dates (it is less than sexy to be puking in the parking lot) and despite all of this, I still have to watch what I eat and weigh myself every single day so that I don't gain weight. For the rest of my life I am going to have to be just as careful about what I ate as I used to be, I am never going to get to really sit down and pig out on a good meal again, and the hair I lost the first few months after surgery may never grow back to the thick lustrous mane of fantastic hair that it was before.

Despite this, every single day of the year I would have the sleeve surgery all over again. The only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I read through all of these posts before surgery and I kept reading "I regret I didn't do it sooner" so the first few weeks after surgery when I was sick and miserable and couldn't eat anything I thought all of those jokers were lying. Nope, they weren't lying. My life has dramatically improved, and while there are major drawbacks, I wouldn't trade in my sleeve for any of them or all of them combined.

It won't be a pleasant surgery, recovery won't be fun, you will feel like crap, you will be cranky, and you will miss your old pal food...but in the end, it will be worth it.

Good luck!

For me NONE, not one downside. I had no nausea or gas pains after surgery. I have never thrown up and there is no food that makes me sick. Sleeve of steele!!!

For me? GERD. Can't think of any other downside....pretty darn happy with it otherwise.

For me NONE, not one downside. I had no nausea or gas pains after surgery. I have never thrown up and there is no food that makes me sick. Sleeve of steele!!!

This was me. Zero complications, walked in recovery. No gas, no nausea, no vomiting, no Constipation. I have tolerated every food I've tried. I was put on omeprazole in the hospital. As I started back on regular foods I occasionally felt a little acid. My doctor increased my prescription and now everything is fine.

Think positive. There is no need to borrow trouble.

Downside - It's gonna cost you a bundle $$$$$$ .............on all new clothes, ..... :P

Downside - It's gonna cost you a bundle $$$$$$ .............on all new clothes, ..... :P

YES! Yesterday I tried on a $200 Anna Scholtz dress that no longer fits. :( I'm going to handwash it and try to sell it.

YES! Yesterday I tried on a $200 Anna Scholtz dress that no longer fits. :( I'm going to handwash it and try to sell it.

I know what you mean.....however it's probably the first time in my life I didn't care that the pants I bought last month, which are still like new......no longer fit....... :lol:

All of your answers are quiet exciting! I'm on my journey just saw the doc yesterday for the first time and I can't wait to get it done.

Watching other people eat whatever they want in front of me. Like pizza for my kids or wings it gets my sad face on. I asked my 9 year old for a bite, she crossed her arms and told me no it could hurt you. Then she told on me to her dad my husband. Lol. I'm watched like a hawk. Someone is always making sure I don't mess up. I guess they don't want to see me with more problems.

Love reading these! Getting my courage up! Thanks.

I'm one of the lucky ones whose recovery was only briefly unpleasant. For me the downside is that I had to give away my favorite clothes. The good news is that I have found some new favorites.

Thank you all so much for the honest and support. I had the lap band for almost 3 years and just had it removed 2 mo ago. Many of the issues regarding Gerd and learning to change your relationship with food are things I have already been through.

I like a few in here had a pretty easy recovery. Very nauseated the first few hours after surgery but no gas pains, no vomiting, was off pain meds the day I left the hospital.

One thing that I was never told is take chap stick!!! My mouth was so dry and horrible after surgery that chap stick was my life saver until I could drink.

I've had zero complications. I am 4 months out and I think I have only gotten sick 2 times from over eating in the beginning (I learned my lesson) the stalls are a bit discouraging but u learn to just live with them and they pass. I struggle with my Water intake. Really have to work hard to get it in. Also I had to adjust to the no drinking with your meals. That's been the hardest thing for me. Good luck to you!!