Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I am on my pre op liver shrinking diet. I am craving a glass of milk. Is that alright?! I promise to drink skim!

Thank you! :)

I would say yes...at least one option for my pre-op included milk with fortified milk powder. I would say any low-cal, low-fat item is fine...I ate green veggies with zero-cal dressing and pickles everyday during my pre-op just to let myself chew something!

The point of the diet is to reduce calories and "liver food". When you are in a calorie deficit, the body burns glycogen (a type of carbohydrate) stored in the liver first, then fat stored in the liver, then body fat. You starve the liver of carbohydrate to make glycogen, and fat, the liver will shrink.

Anyways, the moral of the story is make sure your are under calorie goal, and your food is low carb, low fat, and low cal. An occasional glass of skim milk will not ruin anything.

Drink it now cause you never know. I drank lots of skim milk before my surgery. Then, for reasons unknown after, I could not tolerate it. I tried, but it just quite agree with me. Guess I suddenly became lactose intolerant. (Even with skim) So now I drink Smart Balance Lactose free, fat free milk and it's OK.

I know, I know.... long story and who cares........Just saying ya never know what little crazy things might change. ;)

The dietitian I'm working with is having me drink Fairlife milk with sugar free carnation instant Breakfast. It's pretty good. The combo is 18 grams of Protein in one cup!

@@Samantha&Sunshine do guidelines from your surgeon cover milk? I see a lot of people telling you it is fine, but what really matters is what your surgeon/dietitian think, not strangers on the internet. My doctor absolutely did NOT allow milk on the pre-op diet. It has a lot of carbs. If the guidelines you were given do not cover milk, your surgeon may not care, but if I were you I would probably check in and ask.

Like Bufflehead said, this is a question for your surgeon.

Personally I never had any calorie or carb restrictions. I drink milk almost everyday both pre and postop....use it to mix my Protein powders. REAL milk, not soy or almond. I did have a bit of lactose intolerance for about 4 months postop and I drank Lactaid. But that resolved and I was able to go back to regular milk. And for me, I drink 1% milk and use 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee.

But again, everyone has a different plan, so check with your doc.

Edited by Kindle

My nutritionist prefers that we keep our sugars under 5g per serving and I'm sort of a carb junkie, so I tend to go lower carb as much as possible. To that end, I've tried the following, which are more milk-like than almond milk or soy milk:

I think these are billed more as "beverages" rather than milk, which is always scary. That's like "cheese product"...ick! These do seem to taste okay, but appear watery like fat free milk. I use Carbmaster or Lucerne to make pudding and sometimes in my coffee. I've never drank either straight up. They are great for the low sugar/calories and higher Protein.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

post-237998-14216063453617_thumb.jpg

These are my diet restrictions. I am going to ask my surgeon's office tomorrow. But I figured since it was Saturday night, who better to ask than this forum. ????

Interestingly, I have seen TV programs from the UK where patients drink literally nothing but milk on their pre-op diet, for the purpose of shrinking/preparing their liver for surgery. Often the surgeon comments that "the liver looks good, they must have followed their milk diet". So even if your surgeon prefers you not to have it for whatever reason, it's obviously not going to harm your pre-op preparation.