Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise curiosity

I think I asked before or I know there's probably a million of these post but here goes.

I have been seeing the scale move and I feel like I has to do with muscle gain. I lift 3 times a week and do zumba 2 times a week. I feel like I need to add cardio. Opinions?

Also if your a runner how did you start out. I think I should add running to my routine but I dred it because I feel like I'll get bored. Or as weird as it sounds I fear of getting tired quick and not being able to do it.

just started running. I am actually liking it and am singing up for a few races. I see a marathon in my future. cardio is king. do it! when was your surgery? with wls you will have muscle loss. lifting helps reduce that... keep up the great work. if your knees hurt, do elliptical machine first. I had to drop 80 pounds before I felt comfortable running.

just started running. I am actually liking it and am singing up for a few races. I see a marathon in my future. cardio is king. do it! when was your surgery? with wls you will have muscle loss. lifting helps reduce that... keep up the great work. if your knees hurt, do elliptical machine first. I had to drop 80 pounds before I felt comfortable running.

I'm 11 weeks post op. I like how my legs look now but my upper half just doesn't match so I definitely need some cardio. I'm just I guess I'm scared to start.

I'm 2 months post and I have a personal trainer 2 x wk and on 2 other days I just get on a treadmill and walk for 30 minutes or I'll change it up by doing an elliptical bike for 30 min. I think it helps. Your Zumba class should be giving you a good bit of cardio. Just try to do 30 minutes of cardio per day on average. I admit that I don't get that everyday, but I lost 16 lbs last month so I must be doing something right, at least last month. We'll see what happens next month. Hang in there. Maybe add another Zumba class per week.

Start slow, I'd say with the Treadmill or Elliptical machine. I did the Elliptical machine last night and wow it was hard. The Treadmill is nothing. I'll be fine in a week or so.

The best tip I can give you is to make sure you have comfy shoes for walking/running. It's not uncommon to go through a pair of shoes a month if your getting to it. I know prior to my surgery, I was walking 12 miles a day, 7 days a week. I went through two pairs of shoes in a month. If your shoes aren't comfy, look out for the blisters and they hurt!!!

The most important thing about starting to run, after good shoes, is start SLOW. You have to walk before you can run. Break it up into intervals. You probably have a decent cardio base from the zumba. You will probably be able to jog a little bit. Start the treadmill at a low speed walking and increase it to a slow jog. Seriously if that's 4mph, do that. jog as long as you can until you HAVE to stop. then slow it down to a walk again and recover. When you're recovered enough, crank it back up and jog again. do this repetitively, and soon, you will be jogging non-stop. The only way to fail is not to try. or to hurt yourself. thats why you need to start slow.

I feel that Zumba is cardio. I did Zumba last night and my heart rate was 200 at one point. But I also do kick boxing and do the elliptical as well as weight training. I do the cardio first makes me feel like I accomplished something lol

Try the couch to 5k app, it starts you out very slowly getting used to running. You start out walking 5 min, run for 30 sec, walk for 2 min, run for 60 sec... Each day you can repeat the same level, and move to the next when you are comfortable. You can do this on a treadmill or outside. You listen to music and it will tell u walk now, get ready to run for 30 sec, etc.

It really helps you ease into it and track your progress.

Hth

Tonya

I would absolutely add cardio. That is a must for me. I started out about a year ago and just jumped on the treadmill with my couch 2 5k app, and the rest has been history. Since then I've run multiple 5k's 10k's and a 1/2 marathon. I'm currently training for a full marathon in May. I highly recommend it. But if running is not your thing, then definitely something else.

As Livvsmum says Couch to 5k! I did it a year ago and thought I would DIE during the run intervals. I have never in my life been a runner! Flash forward and I am winning my age division in 5-10k's and an 8 mile trail run this past weekend. Also have completed several 200 mile relays and a half marathon. Training for a full marathon in May.