Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital Angeles (Tijuana) - CLOSING?

I had a call from my rep with BeLiteWeight this afternoon. She said that they received notice this morning that Hospital Angeles in Tijuana will be closing. Has anyone else heard this?

She said that the hospital was raising their rates drastically, even for those already on the schedule, and so BLW was rescheduling all of the patients they had booked there.

I'm disappointed because this hospital is where I felt most comfortable having my surgery done in March. Now I will have to choose another?

Edited by Okiebon

I spoke with someone at Hospital Angeles after I posted this.

She said that the hospital was not closing, but that "the cost for weight loss is increasing fairly significantly." This applies to Dr. Corvala as well, according to the lady I spoke with. Although apparently Dr. Corvala's patients that are already on his schedule will not be charged the hospital's new rates.

Unfortunately, for those of us who had decided on Dr. Rodriguez and Hospital Angeles, the hospital plans to charge the higher rates to his patients that are already on the hospital's schedule. (For those who don't know, Dr. Rodriguez has his main practice in Juarez and works out of Tijuana one week per month.)

At least this is the story I've pieced together from what I've been told.

I feel like I should be upset with someone, but who?

Did BLW tell me the truth when they said the hospital was closing, or was it the lady with Hospital Angeles? Or was the hospital's closing all just an honest misunderstanding by someone?

Is it fair of Hospital Angeles to increase the rates that Dr. Rodriguez was to be charged for patients already on the schedule?

Is it admirable that Dr. Rodriguez rescheduled dozens of surgeries so that he wasn't "passing the cost on to his patients"? Or is it not admirable that he didn't absorb the additional cost on those cases, since his patients had already paid deposits based on the contracted price we had with him, and thereby prevent the inconvenience of all these patients having to reschedule hotels, airline reservations, etc?

I'm frustrated, confused, and tired of trying to make the "right" decisions.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You know Rocky1, I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything you've posted. I'm glad to see you have a positive opinion of the Juarez hospitals. I would prefer Tijuana over Juarez, of course, but it may have to be Juarez for me.

I contacted both doctors late this afternoon to check into the two possibilities you suggested. Hopefully something will work out. It has to. I'm willing to be flexible on the hospital because I agree with what you said, but I will have my surgery done by either Dr. R or Dr. C.

I had my MGB (mini gastric bypass) surgery at INT Hospital in Tijuana with dr. Ponce de leon and have never regretted it for a moment.

Though small, INT was spotless, the staff caring, friendly, and excellent, and PDL and his team top rate.

I was to have a Sleeve done but once inside, PDL discovered I had a tumour in the lowest part of my stomach, and couldn't do the sleeve.

Having done 4-5 Bariatric surgeries/day for 18 years, PDL decided that instead of sewing me up and sending me back to Canada to have the tumour taken care of, he removed it, changed course, and performed the MGB instead and am I grateful he did.

The tumour came back from pathology (before I left with photos for my doctor here) as benign ectopic pancreatic tissue...I was growing a second pancreas in my stomach ( which explains the infrequent jabbing ache I felt at times down there but was chalked up to diverticulosis...NOT!)

I'm now 8 months post surgery, and down 127 lbs. I'm 4 lbs from my own established goal weight of 189 lbs (at 6'1" that's "Normal" on that much maligned BMI scale), and run 25 miles/week.

I no longer have Type 2 diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, or GERD. The 15 pills I took per day? History! Gonzo! See Ya!

I can't say enough good about INT Hospital or Dr PDL and his team. They gave me my life back at the old age of 58.

All smiles when I slip on my 32" waist jeans while holding up the 48" ones I wore last spring. post-217717-14213849102854_thumb.jpg post-217717-1421384929554_thumb.jpg post-217717-14213849423144_thumb.jpg

Is it admirable that Dr. Rodriguez rescheduled dozens of surgeries so that he wasn't "passing the cost on to his patients"? Or is it not admirable that he didn't absorb the additional cost on those cases, since his patients had already paid deposits based on the contracted price we had with him, and thereby prevent the inconvenience of all these patients having to reschedule hotels, airline reservations, etc?

I need to add that Dr Rodriguez did offer a discount to affected patients to help compensate them for the inconvenience. I felt that was pretty fair of him to do.

@Brians147 Wow, you look TERRIFIC! And very, very happy. Congratulations on your success! I'm so glad that your tumor was benign!

I'm planning to have the Mini Gastric Bypass as well. It is wonderful to hear from someone who's had the procedure.

Did your surgeon say why he opted to do the MGB over an RNY gastric bypass? I'm always curious to hear what made someone select the MGB since it isn't as widely known.

Great point about the discount.

I already checked, and the hospital stay in Juarez would be the same number of days that it was going to be in Tijuana.

Thank you!!

The MGB has less malabsorption problems than the RNY. The stomach that is detachedin the MGB remains in you so it continues to supply needed fluids for digestion which now takes place in my intestines. My blood work is perfect with no malabsorption so it's wirking.

Thank you for contacting me. It's so good to talk with someone who's already had the procedure.

Do you still absorb fats? I've heard that a benefit of the RNY is that the body doesn't absorb nearly as many fats. Since you don't have the malabsorption issues, I wonder how that translates to fat absorption levels?

What was your recovery like? And your return to work time?

I apologize. I spoke with my rep from BeLiteWeight this afternoon about my concerns, and it seems that there was a misunderstanding - on MY part. The hospital did not tell them that they would be closing. What was said was that after being informed of the increased costs, there was speculation that closing the hospital might be the next step.

I'm terribly embarrassed about of all of this but I want to make sure I set the record straight.

Again, my apologies for any confusion or inconvenience my misunderstanding has caused.

I'm going to start a new thread to make sure everyone sees that this was all a big mistake on my part.

I am scheduled with Be lite weight on 3/20/15. Originally at Hospital Angeles in TJ.

I was also called and asked to change over to Juarez at the Star Medica hospital. I was told that hospital Angeles is in debt and increasing the fees to compensate.

I agreed to go to Juarez because I want to stick with Dr. Rod & Dr. Elmo, also the hospital looks to be great!

Please let me know what you choose to do.

Best of Luck to US ALL!

@vsgSarah3

I've decided to go to Juarez as well. We'll be there at the same time!! :)

I'll send you a message soon and introduce myself, if that's ok?

@@Okiebon

Yes, please that would be great.

Hospital Angeles is not closing. I chose dr Corvala at hospital angeles in TJ. I like that fact the surgery is in a full scale real hospital with 100 plus beds and an ER and not a clinic they call a "bariatric hospital." that gives me more piece of mind if something goes wrong and I like being able to recover in a real hospital where the nurses will help me with the recovery process versus being all alone say in the TJ marriot after having a surgery. Dr. Corvala is also the most experienced surgeon in TJ who as taught many of the other surgeons. I'm paying 6500 for the package which appears to be more than the other surgeons in TJ but I believe you get what you pay for and don't want to go cheap on such a serious surgery that could mess one up for life it is botched. Dr corvala and hospital angeles offer the best quality to price ratio in north america in my opinion but i will be able to give a more accurate assessment after I have the surgery. note they just raised their price to 7500.