Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight sad but starting over. Help advice and support needed.

Hi. I was banded july 2013 and was really successful. I lost 170 lbs in just over 11 months and felt incredible. I embraced exercise in a huge way and lived and totally loved my life. I then choose to have a full TT. I had lots of stretch marks and an over hang. Had my band fully deflated for my op. Not sure but they may of left in a cc or two. I got necrosis (when the flesh dies around the incisions) was in agony. Had to have further surgery and a wound vac. My recovery took months instead of weeks. I was informed inadequate diet was to blame for my healing difficulties 4 weeks post op and I was to eat more. So I did. And gained 30lbs over 4 months. I was on a total exercise ban until my scars fully healed as they kept reopening. I was depressed still am and sadly turned to food. I've had 2 refills the first did nothing the second made me too tight so I had most of it taken out again. I feel totally lost. I found it so easy originally and now I can't even seem to make good food choices. I am exercising again now but my fitness is really poor in comparison to before. I'm starting to feel pretty defeated and desperate. If you can help in any way I'd really appreciate it. I know I have to muster my own motivation etc but even a slight nudge in the right way might help. post-150386-14210607955152_thumb.jpg post-150386-14210608267269_thumb.jpg post-150386-14210608496189_thumb.jpg post-150386-14210608840867_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm looking ahead to plastics some day myself. I have no advice since I'm still in my first year, but just sending support. I hope things turn around for you.

I have no experience with this, so I'm not sure if I can be helpful or not, as I am in the beginning of my journey. Your self worth is not your waist line or in the scales, I'm not telling you to accept this new weight gain though, you have worked hard and I'd be feeling the same way. Your keeping your exercise routine up and that's good, baby steps with that and you'll have to work you way back up. Hang in there!! :) and don't give up.

Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean a great deal. I'm going to go back to basics. I'm due to have an adjustment Wednesday so that might help and I'm seeing my surgeon Thursday to discuss the issues I'm having.

Yikes!!!

I go in today for a consult on a Tummy Tuck. Looking for one scar sideways. I have one 25 years ago from an ectopic pg. hoping they are close to that one.

Sorry you are having problems. Anything you think I should ask? Any other advice? Hoping to see you back on track soon

Ps how recent are the pics??

Good luck to solving your issue????

Thanks

Edited by Julie norton

@@Zingythingy you lost a lot of weight really fast! I was banded in 2013 and have had a few set backs along the way but have only lost 70 thus far.

So I would ask you...what did you do in the beaning that helped you to lose the weight? Where do you think that fell short on nutrition to cause you to have an issue with healing?

Nutrition is very important but I suspect there was more going on to cause necrosis then just poor nutrition.

I'm glad that you are now on the road to recovery and I really hope that you are feeling better. You have come to the right place for support that's for sure! I know when I am having trouble staying focused and not giving up I come here and read and write and share and I feel better!!

So maybe review what worked for you in the early days of starting to lose the weight, and think about how you might improve upon that a bit to keep your body healthy now as well. Is a need for more Protein, or perhaps a certain Vitamin that you might need/want to add in with fruits or veggies or even with a supplement?

I'm still trying to get back to my green zone after a car accident a few month ago. I'm back in the gym and working out, and battling a few women's issues as well. So its a bit of a roller coaster ride that I'm not quite ready to get off of just yet :) I'm finally starting to enjoy it...well at least until the next nose dive :)

Hi Julie if I'm honest the only questions I ask were could I die... And was my tummy going to be flat and not sit on my legs wobble and be sweaty. I didn't look into possible bad outcomes. I was imo young, super fit at the time. I did have very stretched skin. Only about 1 in 10,000 gets my problems. I've had c sections and this was nothing like that. So much worse. By my surgery date I was so thin my overhang was pretty small. I had 3•5kg of skin/fat removed. A relatively small amount. I'd ask about drains I had mine in for over 3 wks. I'd ask about width of scars mine are pretty thick. I had a reaction to the thread they sewed me up with. My body kept rejecting it and new areas opened up. I'd ask worse case scenario outcome. I'd also advise stool softener. Tmi but it was an issue. If your having just a horizontal incision I believe it's even rarer for the wound to dehiss and become necrotic. Wear a good binder or support underwear. I didn't. Be prepared to feel totally zapped. It floored me for 3 months. But I've read a lot of positive outcomes. Look on real self. It's a great site. Lastly good luck.

Lisacaron thankyou for your message. I did lose really fast. The first week after being banded I lost 14 lbs. I exercised an hour at least every day and gave up lots of foods. I never ate emotionally I felt so uplifted and positive. I only had one gain in a year and it was following a hormone injection and the following week I had a massive loss again. Then my focus was this wonderful surgery. A body I was proud of. I maintained well I was in green but reintroduced a few things the occasional chocolate bar, icecream bag of crisps. But as I was doing such high intensity exercise my weight was stable.

When I was deflated I ate like before. Huge mistake. Then as I had more and more problems I turned to food. I need to go back to abstinence for a while I think and only reintroduce foods when I'm fully fit. I also need to see this as a lifetime change not a diet. Diets eventually fail

I have a friend who had the same issue following a lower body lift! Hers eventually healed and the scar from her lift is fading. I hope yours heals quickly so you can get back on track!