Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question in regards to recovery.

I had my surgery almost two weeks ago and I'm curious on how many weeks it would normally take for the stomach to fully recover. I get sick with a lot of the things I've tried to eat. The doctor recommended a scrambled egg, and I couldn't handle it well, for example.

Around what week is the normal time I'm able to eat anything without a problem? I'm obviously going to stay away from fatty things, which will only be eaten on occasions, but I would just like to eat anything without feeling sick.

Also, is gas from eating stuff normal? I seem to burp after eating anything. Even drinking Water causes this.

i tried scrambled eggs also at two weeks and didn't tolerate them well. at four weeks i tried

them again and i was able to eat approx. half a cup with no problem.

p.s. at two weeks i only had two tablespoon of the scrambled eggs and couldn't tolerate them.

burping, oh yes i burp all the time. . . . mostly though when you eat too much even a couple tablespoons

too much i tend to burp more.

The foods listed below is what i tolerated at two weeks :

1. applesauce.

2. yogurt

3. banana

4. cottage cheese

5. apple juice

6. Jello

7. pudding

8. mashed potatoes

For me, queasy came and went for the first couple of months. I urped up once in the hospital and then not again for about four months when I had flu-like symptoms and then not again until about eight months when I got dehydrated and passed out and spent a night in the hospital for observation and IV's.

My bariatrician kept me well supplied with odesentron (sp?) and an anti-nausea patch that you can put behind your ear for three days at a time. My new tummy was noisy for a couple of months. it sounded like a dinosaur fight.

My list of tolerated foods is similar to thesweetone's list. If you go back to Youtube and watch a video of your kind of surgery, you will be reminded of what your stomach has just been through. Be patient. You will be up and running in no time.

I graduated to cooked whole foods at 4 1/2 weeks, but did not try everything at once. At a year out, I can eat 3/4 to a cup of food, but not every time. I did not eat corn or nuts for six months, and will probably never eat gum or popcorn again.

At 2 weeks, I was still on full liquids. I wasn't released to move to pureed foods until 3 weeks post op.

@@Anthony DeCastro I've read it can take up to 6 months for the stomach to fully heal. The burping is normal I still do it and I'm almost 10 weeks...it annoying like burping a baby!

Maybe it is just Connecticut. But reading alot of different posts, you all eat food during your first 2 weeks of surgery. I just wonder how? No wonder you all keep getting sick eating food.< /p>

The first two weeks is LIQUIDS only (broth, Water, Boullions, etc) absolutely no foods while your stomach heals. This is the time when you may have a leak and if you are putting food into your new stomach, you cause lots of problems.

After you go for your 2-week visit, that is when you can start eating eggs, yogurt, applesauce, etc. We have to start eating one food at a time to see what makes our stomach upset.

After week 6 is when we can start actually eating a real meal. By this time, your stomach is healed completely and able to digest what you need.

You have to remember when you have this surgery, you are starting with a BABY stomach, Would you feed your baby eggs, applesauce, Jello during their first few weeks of life? Great analogy to our bodies.

Annamarie

Burping, get use to it. I am 7 month out and still burpe more than I use to. I was able to eat normal stuff for the most prrt by 6 weeks.

I'm 6 wks out and only eating 1 egg and a baby bel mini cheese. I still burp all the time and gurgle constantly, esp after eating or drinking. At 2 wks post op I was still on liquids only. At 4 wks I could start on eggs, fish , soft cheese. Next week I get to add chicken and cooked veggies. Your new tummy needs to heal so let it and in a few months you will be able to take more in. Welcome to the club!

I was on full liquids until day 17 post-op, but I was allowed Soups, as long as they could pass through a straw. it got me through those first weeks (no straw of course). I have no issues with burping or nausea.

I'm 2 weeks and ate some salmon today, I can eat food just has to be in VERY small pieces. No issues today

I was still on liquids at 2 weeks. Didn't eat anything "solid" for at least a month. So maybe it's just a little early for you to be eating those things. If you had stitches for a cut on your arm, they would leave the sutures in for 10-14 days. Your sleeve incision is basically sitting in acid, so it probably isn't even healed that much. Be patient and remember to treat your sleeve gently. Leaks and other complications can occur several weeks and even months postop.

Maybe it is just Connecticut. But reading alot of different posts, you all eat food during your first 2 weeks of surgery. I just wonder how? No wonder you all keep getting sick eating food.< /p>

The first two weeks is LIQUIDS only (broth, Water, Boullions, etc) absolutely no foods while your stomach heals. This is the time when you may have a leak and if you are putting food into your new stomach, you cause lots of problems.

After you go for your 2-week visit, that is when you can start eating eggs, yogurt, applesauce, etc. We have to start eating one food at a time to see what makes our stomach upset.

After week 6 is when we can start actually eating a real meal. By this time, your stomach is healed completely and able to digest what you need.

You have to remember when you have this surgery, you are starting with a BABY stomach, Would you feed your baby eggs, applesauce, Jello during their first few weeks of life? Great analogy to our bodies.

Annamarie

Every Dr. has their own Food Phases they give the Patient. I am 2 Weeks out and am following what my Dr. tells me is allowed. I am eating a larger variety of Foods than what you say is the way it is, and I am doing fine.