Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking post-op? I can't now!

I weigh 373 @ 5'4". I use a Rollator with oxygen just to walk 10-20 feet. I get around the house ok, in pain. There's a catch 22 here... I have to lose weight to walk and I have to walk to lose weight. My muscle mass is non existent. I take acetaminophen and ibuprofen every day for the pain. And it doesn't help much.

After the surgery, they get you out of bed to walk. And walk. How am I going to do that? I'm horrified. I'm like the turtle, slow but steady. My question: Will that effort be enough to satisfy the surgeon? For the beginning? Or do they expect good, fast walking? Please help me?

Hi there! You are right walking is critical to your new lifestyle change required to have the most success with your surgery. Here is the thing, you do what you can and as the weight comes off you will be able to do more and more activity. It is not about how fast you go but more about simply moving more and more as you are able.

I have psoriatic arthritis and have had 5 back surgeries. I really struggled with walking and was very slow as well. So slow that my family was always checking to see if I was ok when we were walking.

Now, 3 months post op my husband has a hard time catching up with me. I now work out doing cardio and fat burning on an elliptical and treadmill about 5 times per week.

You will get there one step at a time.

The funny thing is, you will hopefully do it to satisfy yourself more so than your surgeon.

Within 5 weeks post op I felt more alive than I have in 20 plus years.

It is very hard work but it is worth it!

Just start with slow steps and just get moving. You do what you can.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress.

You do know what the say about turtles.?...Slow and steady wins the race"....and as long as u are up and moving thats all thats required, don't beat your self up....U can more that do this...Good luck!!!!

Remember that your head gives up before you body does! Slow progress is still progress. You can only walk 10 feet today. That's totally okay. Tomorrow you'll do 12 feet. Just strive to be a little bit better than you were the time before, and soon you'll be up and about without even noticing! You can do this!

@, don't stress out about this requirement. Everything is adaptable to circumstance; your surgeon and team will help you with this. And just think about how amazing it will be when your body can keep up with your mind and walk all you like!

Boy have you guys made me feel a whole lot better. I see myself right after surgery using a walker, doing the best I can. Then , at home , I can walk around the house (winter here in Buffalo), then when spring comes, using my Rollator to walk down the street a bit then more. Hopefully this'll do the trick. I have 2 replaced knees, so I know some exercises to do at home pre and post op. I'm just really scared now! Not of my future so much. But really, you guys calmed my fears a little. Bless you. ????

You will be fine. They won't push you to do more than you are up for. Please don't stress about it. Hugs.

Yeah, also forgot to add; the walking the doctor will ask you to do while in the hospital is not necessarily walking for exercise. It's to help break up the leftover gas from surgery, and also, I believe, to lessen the risk of blood clots. So don't stress about that. You can go as slow as you need to, and I bet you could even have someone follow you with a wheelchair if you need a break. Don't worry about that part so much, the actual work comes when you are home and healed!

I have cerebral palsy and am having gastric bypass on Feb 2. I am mobile but generally slow after surgery. My doc is ordering PT to access me and assist me postop with walking in the hospital. I will take my time in healing at home. I know my risks and will becareful. Ask loads of questions. Get options.

My doctor suggested walking in short intervals. Start out at 5 minutes, then when you can do that without being short of breath etc, double it to 10 minutes. It doesn't matter how fast or how far you are walking, it's just that you are up and walking. I had my surgery to prepare for a knee replacement after a horrible fracture through my knee that did not heal properly. I walked with a cane, and was lucky to get from one side of the bedroom to the other side without having to sit down. I had a list of exercises from my physical therapy from my fracture that I had to do when I was in a wheelchair for 12 weeks after the fracture. They were all done laying in bed. I still do them even now if I'm laying in bed watching tv etc. Maybe you can ask your PCP to refer you to a physical therapist. Tell them you are interested in learning safe ways to build muscle tone and endurance.

You only have to walk a little. The purpose is to prevent blood clots and get the gas to move. I only walked the equivalent of 3 doors down the hall and back in the first day. I was very, very slow. By the last day I was able to go a little further. It's not unlike the trip to and from the bathroom at home. Do what you can. You will be fine.