Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eat MORE to lose weight!

This is me venting, but I just have to say my bullshit meter goes through the window when I read stuff like this.

A lot of people on here and out there in the world say this is the case. But I just can't buy it.

First off: my doctor and nutritionist have both said- the point of this surgery is, at first while losing weight, to eat VERY LITTLE. 500 calories now per day, 1000 for life max!

They said I'm to have 3 meals a day ONLY, no liquid calories, period. Low carb, low calorie. No Protein shakes after month one. The 60 grams of Protein is just a suggestion to shoot for. Have your nutritionist said differently? Am I missing something?

Secondly: the eat more to lose more thing reminds me of a diet industry ploy. I remember in the early 2000's when the six small meals a day thing was all the rage. It was the newest diet fad to eat more often and STOKE your metabolism. I bought into that at the time and guess what? I just ended up eating more!!! And gained weight!!! Because for someone like me, once I put food in my Mouth it is very hard to stop!! And it created a habit of eating more- the more I ate the more I thought about food until it was all I thought about!

Frequent snacking and increasing calories is not something I think should be encouraged on this site!! I keep reading posts talking about forcing protein or staying awake just to eat more protein or advising people to increase their calories to make them lose weight faster!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU TELL AN OVERWEIGHT PERSON TO INCREASE THEIR CALORIES?

Smile.

I may be way off. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about? I do get that with low calories we hit stalls once in a while.

But this surgery is our chance to be able to eat very small amounts comfortably. Over time we will need to eat more and be able to because our pouches will stretch. I see this as an opportunity to get used to small portions. I am thrilled to be able to eat so little. If my weight loss stalls, I would first increase my workouts and Water and then simply wait out the stall.

It's proven fact that low calories equals weight loss. Starvation mode is a myth. I looked it up!! There is no such thing. Your body cannot hold onto weight if you don't give it calories, period. Example: people in countries without plentiful food. They starve! Their bodies can't hold onto the weight, not a chance!!Eventually, the weight will come off, and the less you eat the faster it will happen.

I think we should stop supporting the eat more to lose weight gimmick and appreciate that this is a time we are no supposed to eat much. I'm afraid that someone whose weight loss is going slowly ( because they are eating 6 meals a day and getting in 1500 calories between shakes and food!) might think they aren't eating enough and might increase their calories!!!

I also wonder if maybe it's hard to get the focus off of food in our lives, being obese, and that we shouldn't talk more about that instead of worrying about how much protein we are consuming!! Is there a larger issue at hand that maybe it's tough to not have food be a central focus? I could not stand to have my whole day revolve around eating every two hours.

You may agree with me or not. I'm interested to hear thoughts on this.

One more time:

TO LOSE WEIGHT EAT AND DRINK LESS calories.

that's what I think. Thoughts? Are your nutritionists yelling at you if you don't get your protein or something? Am I just missing something here?

Edited by bellabloom

Hi, I newsstand your frustration. In the early months we each need to do what our bodies allow. Some if us cannot east enough in a meal to sustain energy while others feel no restriction at all and can almost eat as they did before surgery.

This typically will get better as each person heals. For some (like me) it can take over a year and others will be able to get to the 3 times a day regiments in short order (like a friend I'd mine... 1 month)

While I agree we should be supportive of all our newbies as well as our old folks (bit meaning age) we also need to consider the tone of help we are giving. None of us should promote one treatment overt another. Our Doctors are each different as we are, they have their treatment plan, and they hope for it to work for all... We KNOW that will never be the case. Bottom line encourage the discussion between pt and doc. If surgery was done in Mexico. . week then suggest their primary... It a new primary. Use your own experiences as examples.. Not gospel..

And last but for me most importantly... If someone falls off the wagon, help them back on! Don't bask then or make them feel any more guilt than they probably already do... This is a new journey for all of us no two journeys will be the same. But we can support one another ;)

Peace out and thanks fit letting me rant with you!

@@bellabloom

While there is a lot of your post that I'd link arms with you and cheer "Go get 'em!" for, I have to respectfully disagree concerning "starvation mode". I think that the term may not be entirely accurate, but the condition to some extent exists. Our bodies were meant to hold onto the fat we have- particularly us women. When we suddenly slash our calories to a fraction of what they were, I believe our bodies do switch into "panic mode"- hence our stalls/hair loss/dry skin/feeling cold as our bodies readjust periodically. You're right in that countries without adequate food have people that indeed starve- but that's not the goal here, I don't think. Those folks in countries where they can't eat properly sure do lose weight...with the heartbreaking and deadly side effects of malnutrition. IMO, that's not a desirable side effect of losing weight.

I, too have talked with folks who were told to "eat more to lose more", but invariably these folks were starving themselves and stalling out and/or not exercising properly. Where I think the problem perhaps lies is the spin that the media puts on diet fads and giving the "one size fits all" approach. I'll do what's right for me, and you'll do the same. :) Having those courageous conversations with our surgical staff about underlying food issues or nutritional recommendations is key in my opinion to finding out what will work for us. Just as I wouldn't caution anyone to eat more to lose weight, I also personally would never tell anyone to eat less than what they were guided to eat by their NUT/surgeon. I'm no doctor, and have no certification to make dietary recommendations to anyone. I might not understand what someone else's doctor is saying, but that's none of my business. I trust my doctor to know what's right for me. :)

Good point made. I think the bottom line is that we should listen to our doctors of course. I think it's a given that taking advice off of here should be with a major grain of salt.

But some of us may not have much support from our nut and doctor.

My feelings go out to those of us who are struggling to lose weight, maybe losing weight very slowly ect. My feeling is that to encourage anyone on here to eat more is misguided and that there are many misconceptions it there about what this means!

We all know that gastric bypass does work- that's why we did it! It's a proven process and it works by calorie reduction. It does work but one way it can fail is with the consumption of liquid calories and snacking! If you eat through your pouch you won't lose weight. Some of this is about battling mental hunger and emotional hunger. Even with rny one still has to deal with hunger sometimes and it's not something to be afraid of.

I just want to make the point that yes, listen to your doctor. Discuss it with them -if your having to force your Protein down. That seems conter- productive doesn't it?

I want to start a discussion about this topic because I think the eat more thing is soooo misunderstood.

And it doesn't apply to us! We are not typical dieters. The eat more diet fad preaches to eat more fruits and vegetables- but we can't do that in the early stages of our surgery and I don't think Protein shakes are supposed to be consumed long term.

Eat more bulk and less calories (junk food and carbs) that is what the diet preaches. Not just "eat more."

I don't think anyone should force food they are not capable of eating or force down calories if they don't want them.

I read up on starvation mode and they discussed that while ones metabolism does drop it isn't significant to stall weight loss. Not that I'm saying any of us should starve!!! We should allow our bodies to use our fat as fuel until we reach a healthy weight. Here is the link to the article. We should not be afraid of low calories. There are many articles out there like this.

http://themilitarydiet.com/starvation-mode-is-a-myth/

http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

Edited by bellabloom

Honestly it's all just so confusing. I do worry about long term and I know that maintaining a 500 calorie diet isn't what I want long term. I just hope that these changes really stick with me and that food becomes less of a priority in my life due to this surgery. It's all about achieving balance and good health.

I really love healthy foods but the diet industry scares the crap out of me. I become afraid that fad diets are all out there trying to make us gain weight!! I believe in rny and Portion Control and in some sense listening to our bodies cues and whether we are hungry or eating emotionally.

I hope that this surgery helps me achieve balance and my thoughts are with all of you too!!

500 calories long term is crazy. You will be surprised one day to see you are actually taking in 1000 or 1500 calories! It does happen!

Each of us gets there at different times in our journey. For me it was after a year and a half. I didn't realize it until I picked up charting my meals again... Then poof. There it was! I have been in maintenance for about 10 months. In the last 3 months I gained 15 pounds. They say this is normal... I will accept that. But I have also begun charting again to ensure I am not slipping.

You are right it is about balance. But during your honeymoon phase, take advantage of low calories and moderate exercise pounds and inches... Because once your body decides that phase is over, it does get harder. And it gets harder for a couple of reasons...

1) you've begun to eat some of your old favorites a little too often

2) you've learned how to eat.. Therefore cheat on your body, thus going against your journey s plan.

3) stop exercising or never start.

Start habits early into the journey, know that your eating well continually change and improve, taste buds change.

But all of these things, WE have control over. It's a matter of grabbing the reins and doing it.

My life, for example, is very balanced. ( except I would rather be working than looking for a job for hours every day) but my family, friends, and gym or weigh my time spent obsessing on my weight, food, or when is the next time I can eat or drink.

I would caution everyone on where they get their information. If it's online doesn't mean it's true. One way or the other. Medical advice comes from medical sources, right?

One thing I know about this is that every surgeon has her/his own opinion about what to do. Some say use bariatric Vitamins, mine says Flintstones are fine, save the money for new clothes. Some say no carbs, some don't seem to care. At first, I was eating 400 calories a day, my PCP went bonkers. She got on the phone with surgeon's office and they told me to eat 650-700 a day. It was very hard for me to do this, and I stalled for a week. I'm 61 and diabetic, and it might be different for me, but I don't really want to lose 20 lb per month. Its been 5 months since I started the liquid diet, and I'm down 60 lbs. that's 12 pounds a month. This week I lost 3 lbs. This is fine with me. I think the faster I lose, the harder it is on my skin. I'm trying really hard to follow the advice of my health care professionals. I tried to do it my own way for so long.

I agree with most of you alls points & I think sadly a lot of people get on here & look for answers instead of contacting their doctor.

There are credible sources that say the body does what they termed "hibernation mode" about 3 weeks into the post surgical phase. It's around this time your body is like what happened? And it needs to convert some stores to readily available energy.

I think many forget we didn't wake up obese one day so we aren't going to wake up thin. That surgery is just a tool, that diet, exercise & other lifestyle changes must accompany it.

And the biggest is moving everyday & owning what we put into our bodies. How can your nutritionist help you if you can't actually tell them what your eating? Plus it helps keep you honest.

And yes every program has its own set of rules. Carbs are ok, carbs are not ok. Protein shakes are a good source of Protein but you can only have them for so long... Read the materials your program gave you, in need be reread them & call for clarification.

We all went thru major changes & have changed a lot of things to get this surgery. We need to remember most mainstream advice doesn't apply to us anymore, and your Bariatric center is your friend. If you have moved since getting your surgery find one locally & see if they can help you out when questions arise.

I just want us to all succeed & not fall back on half truths to make something we have learned is not acceptable with our new life acceptable(like eat more lose more). There are times when we are just not feeding our body enough & it will metabolize muscle & not fat so adjustments need to be made. But again your nutritionist & your doctor will know what that magical calorie number is for you based on you & not someone else.

Ok off my soapbox ????