Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ppl having bariatric surgery in their twenties!

Hello ppl. I'm 22. Soon to be 23. And I'll be having Roux En Y surgery next Tuesday on January 13, 2015. When I first was represented with the opportunity to have bariatric surgery, I was opposed to it. I felt like "oh plz I'm young, I have time. I'll be ok. I have room for mistakes." So then I gained and gained and gained. Didn't even bother checking on my health because i was embarassed because i didn't want my doctor to keep shaking get head at my Bill of health. By the time I joined the weight loss program at St. Vincent Hospital back in April of 2014, I was almost 600lbs. And in denial. But after talking to the team I'd see weekly, I started taking things more seriously. I was blessed with opportunity to have surgery and i took it and ran with it honey. I feel safe there. And it's a judgment free zone. So I want to know how my fellow twenty something year old pre-op and post-op bariatric patient felt initially before making such a HUGE decision.

I'm 22 and got the bypass on the 16th of December.

I had the same mentality thinking I could do it on my own because I was still young. But I ended up realizing that the amount of weight I needed to lose to be healthy was something I couldn't do on my own.

Hello ppl. I'm 22. Soon to be 23. And I'll be having Roux En Y surgery next Tuesday on January 13, 2015. When I first was represented with the opportunity to have bariatric surgery, I was opposed to it. I felt like "oh plz I'm young, I have time. I'll be ok. I have room for mistakes." So then I gained and gained and gained. Didn't even bother checking on my health because i was embarassed because i didn't want my doctor to keep shaking get head at my Bill of health. By the time I joined the weight loss program at St. Vincent Hospital back in April of 2014, I was almost 600lbs. And in denial. But after talking to the team I'd see weekly, I started taking things more seriously. I was blessed with opportunity to have surgery and i took it and ran with it honey. I feel safe there. And it's a judgment free zone. So I want to know how my fellow twenty something year old pre-op and post-op bariatric patient felt initially before making such a HUGE decision.

i wish u all the best of luck I would be having my gastric surgery on jan 26 2015 I am so nervous Ive tried so much weight loss program and didn't have the motivation to keep losing when I found out I was pregnant I was going for surgery that same week now my baby is 9 month and I in to start the process for the gastric surgery again my highest was 359 I am now 280 I know this the best thing for me I wish u luck everything is going to go great

I had my surgey when i was 30 but started the process before. My 30th birthday and was hoping i would've had surgery before my 30th birthday. But to be honest i wish i would've done it much much sooner. In my twenties i didn't really know much about WLS and honestly i was too in love with food to ever even think about it. It wasn't until after my health kept taking a toll for the worst that i made the decision to have WLS and I'm 5 weeks out and i know i made a good decision but it's still a little hard to accept and deal with my relationship with food. My highest weight was 320 and im now 260

I'm 22 and have just started my 3 months of medically supervised weight loss
that I need before sending in my request for approval.
I hope everything goes great for you!

:)

Hi! I'm 24 and I am getting my surgery date on this coming up Thursday. I hope to have it within the next 2-3 weeks. I'm excited!

I hope everything goes well for you!

Good for all of you who are having surgery young! Why subject yourself to all sorts of problems over the years before getting the help you need? I waited until I was 39, and I should've done it sooner. I hit 300 lbs by the time I was 20, eventually getting up to 380 lbs by 22.

Being young just means that you'll have even more success with your surgery. Follow the instructions to the letter, stay strong, and you'll do great!

Hi I'm 26 and my surgery is slated for March 2015. My family doctor had suggested looking in to RNY at an appointment last year and to be honest, I was almost offended and taken aback. Afterwards I had thought about it for a few weeks and had a reality check with myself. It also helped that I ran into a coworker who had lost 70 lbs and it was because of surgery. At that point I decided to attend the info session for my program and setting up appointments. I'm just really hoping that this will be the tool I need to lose the weight I need to. I've tried multiple diets in the past, only ever losing 10-25 lbs each time and only ever putting it back on, plus some. I'm so afraid I'm not going to lose and will fail at this.

Wow, just I read this I remember a conversation with my doctor about 15 years ago where she suggested RNY and wanted to know why I wouldn't consider it. I was offended at the time and completely put it out of my head until this moment.

Oh, how much I wish I had taken her suggestion to heart. I'm 43 now and would love to have those years back.

Edited by anaxila

I'm 18 almost 19, I was not the youngest patient at my surgeon's office ,either. Initially, I was embarrassed and felt like a failure for having to resort to surgery at such a young age but I looked at my options, surgery or an early death.

My entire family is large and several have had bypass surgery with varying results. So, the surgery wasn't completely foreign to me. I used to be one of those people that said surgery was the easy way out and I was gonna do it on my own.

Then, my mother,42, passed away when I was 15 due to complication from morbid obesity and that motivated me to lose almost 100lbs on my own,in a very unhealthy manner, but I gained it all back within a year. I've been dieting from the age of 9 and it hasn't worked. I'd lose 20-30lbs and then gain 40-50lbs.So i started researching gastric bypass and spent a year contemplating it before I even had my consultation.

Then another life changing thing happened for me, I hit 18 and 282lbs in the same month. At that point, It hit me I was almost 300lbs and steadily gaining regardless of what crash diets I did. It finally accepted that I needed help and had to make a major life change.

Now, for the first time in my life I'm steadily losing weight and truly feel I can maintain this lifestyle for the rest of my life. I started a new lifestyle not a diet and I accept that I needed surgery to do that. I'm very happy I made the change now instead of waiting until my 30s and losing more of my life to obesity.

Also, I feel like in 10-15. years WLS in the late teens and early twenties will sadly, no longer be an oddity. People in america are becoming morbidly obese at younger and younger ages.High calorie food and a very sedentary lifestyle is becoming extremely prevalent in our culture.

That's another reason I'm glad I made this decision because i'll be able to guide my future children to a healthy lifestyle and teach them from my mistakes.

Edited by PrincessSweetPea3

I had my surgery 2 months before my 21st birthday, I am 2.5 years out now at 23 years old. Honestly I was dying for the surgery for a very long time before actually realizing it could be a reality. My older brother had his gastric bypass 5 years prior to me and he did so well and I envied him so much. I've been fat my entire life and bullied relentlessly for it and treated differently than all my friends. I am crippled by fear around needles and I sucked it up and got stuck what felt like a thousand times for all my tests prior to surgery and all the blood tests and heparin shots while in the hospital just for a shot at a normal life I had craved for just short of 21 years. I feared I would die on the table and loathed how many needles would get shoved in my arms and I hated that I had to quit smoking cigarettes but god I wanted it so badly I'd do anything. Maybe that makes me odd, haha. There wasn't an ounce of hesitation for me.

Hey,

I'm 25 and had my surgery last Saturday.

It's all very fresh for me, and I'm quite sore but never have I regretted it!!

I hate needles as my veins are a pain, but I got through it :)

I've never been able to lose weight, but this month I've now lost 24 pounds!!!

How are you getting on??? As I think you're a bit further ahead now!

No idea what I have coming next!!

Hey,

I'm 25 and had my surgery last Saturday.

It's all very fresh for me, and I'm quite sore but never have I regretted it!!

I hate needles as my veins are a pain, but I got through it :)

I've never been able to lose weight, but this month I've now lost 24 pounds!!!

How are you getting on??? As I think you're a bit further ahead now!

No idea what I have coming next!!

I'm almost three weeks out. It was a rough start for me in the beginning. Had an infection in 1 of my incision so I ended up going back to the emergency room a day after I was discharged. But now I am okay getting around fine. I can walk I can do regular things. It still hurts to bend over, or sneeze, and lie on my side. Hurts terribly. But it's all muscle pain. I'm hoping it's not serious