Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs, PCOS and VSG

I am curios to find out how many carbs PCOS sleevers that are trying to lose weight are consuming in one day. I read something a few days ago that said women with PCOS should keep carbs under 50g daily if they're trying to lose weight and now I cannot find it. Does anyone know or can you tell me what your NUT advised? Thanks!

I don't have PCOS (at least not diagnosed, though I have many of the symptoms), but during my nutrition counseling before the surgery, my doctor told me that after surgery they recommend staying under 50 carbs per day for post-op patients in general. I don't know if PCOS patients would have a further restriction or not. I hope someone has the info you're looking for :)

I have PCOS and I keep my carbs under 40. I was sleeved on 10/31/14 I've lost over 55 lbs

I haven't talked to the nutritionist about it yet, but when I do I'll let you know what they say. I have PCOS and carbs are my enemy and I consume as little carbs as possible usually. I haven't bought a loaf of bread in probably 3 years. My Dr put me on metformin for my PCOS and I found that the medication hates carbs more than my body does, so it wasn't hard to give it up to not deal with the side effects.

I have found if I follow the LOW GI list of good carbs that I get more of an advantage out of those, and my body actually uses them instead of stores or rejects them, if I eat them in moderation obviously.

I'd like to see if anyone has some numbers though, it'd be good info. =D

Thanks all!

It’s a tricky question because carbohydrates are in so many things: fruits, veggies, dairy, Beans, grains, oatmeal, etc.

Rather than worrying about a daily total, I would try to keep the carbohydrates from grain products (cereals, crackers, chips, potatoes, etc) between 30-60 grams daily.

As far as fruit 2-3 servings/day is recommended (30-45 grams carb)

Dairy- 2-3 servings/day (24-36 grams carb)

This gives you a grand total of 90-140 carbs per day. 60 grams total is not enough to allow good carbs, so I would definitely say to aim for more than that. Also remember that “fiber” is technically a “carbohydrate” but actually produces no calories so they can always be subtracted.

My NUT said 30 non vegetable carbs a day.

I am a little over 3 months past surgery, and it sure has been an experience.I believe there isn't a prescriptive amount of carbs for anyone, even us who have PCOS. So far, after much testing no sign of insulin resiliency has been found, thought I have all the other symptoms.

I started out my journey after surgery limiting carbs to 50 mg and under because that is what I was told, and also I read that it was good for PCOS.

I eventually went through the inevitable 3 week stall, then was stalling much more than I thought I should/would. My NUT said to increase calories, so I did that. I had been having issues meeting my Protein levels- I also have an issue with a blanket range of Protein being prescribed for everyone because our bodies are all different...but I digress.

Over the past few weeks, for other reasons, I had to increase the amount of non-fruit/veggie carbs, and wondrously my weight started decreasing. This occurred simultaneously with hormone fluctuations due to my oncoming menstruation.

We all have to pay attention to what our bodies want/need. We aren't all the same. I've find that menstrual hormones cause periods of low weight loss, especially two weeks or so before menstruation. I also discovered that during that time a slightly higher level of carbs will help me continue my weight loss. I'm not sure why as I haven't researched it, but it worked.

Naturally I typically stay between 50-100mg of carbs because of my eating levels. I eat a whole food diet, with whole grains, and at times I do eat a cracker or two or have toast. I needed to be on the B.R.A.T diet when I had intestinal issues due to virus/bacteria/who knows, but I lost weight on that too even with toast and rice. My NUT is fully supportive of how I eat because we found it works for me and my specific issues. I don't feel bad about "playing around" with my nutrition only because I need to find out what my body wants and when it wants it, in addition to finding out what I need to do to support my weight loss. Good luck with yours! :)

I did a raw food 30 day challenge ( with an unfilled band) and lost 12 lbs without trying. I never lost that much on a low carb diet. So I think it depends on the type of carbs. Personally, I don't count any greens or non starchy veggies as carbs ( thou I know they are) because my PCOS doesn't seem to react to them the same way. I treat fruits similarly -- with the exception of dried figs and dates.