Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have to Share for Those Frustrated with Stall

So excited today! Had surgery on 10/23 at 240. I was 207 at Thanksgiving and stayed there until Christmas. I was so frustrated and couldn't believe I had my stomach removed and STILL wasn't losing. In the meantime, I dropped about 1.5 sizes during that month and as I read about what it really means to lose and regain Water weight, I felt a bit better.

And now for the amazing part-- after the month long stall, I am now at 195 today! I am down 12 lbs in less than 2 weeks following that long stall! So hang in there and follow your program and you will break through it!

That is the best advice!

I know it can be frustrating when I'm the one caught in a stall. And all those little voices of doubt are asking me if I'm eating the wrong things, eating too much, not drinking enough.????? It took many stalls before I was comfortable in the belief that if I just stuck with the plan that was working, it would start working again. B)

So hang in there and follow your program and you will break through it!

Happy to hear you broke through the stall! Isn't it funny how our brains trick us into thinking that nothing is happening? We can still be losing fat and dropping sizes, but if we don't see that scale move then we believe we are doing something wrong! It's a little silly, but I know next time my weight stalls, I will think exactly the same thing again!

so I am looking for some info on stalls? I had what I understand is the normal: 3 week stall after 3 weeks post op which was the week of Thanksgiving. (surgery date 11/3/14). Then I loss 4 lbs in like 2 days. BUT.... there I sit. it's been 6 weeks. I weigh every day I know I shouldn't and will probably stop that at my 3 month follow up. But glad that I am for now. I will lose 2 lbs, then gain 3, lose 1 for 3 days straight and gain it back. And for days the scale just doesn't move.

I was a little worried before I had the surgery that I would fall into this group of people who lost like 50 lbs and never another one and am now worried that's me. I know it's soon but 4 weeks and no progress is wearing me thin, and I wish that was literally!

After about 3 weeks into this stall, I started to look at what I was eating and the lack of exercise I was enjoying (I did really well the first few weeks and then life got in the way so fell behind in my visits to the gym). Started walking morning and night, started really paying attention to Protein count and removing some bad habits I realized I'd picked up. For a full week I've watched. Still nothing.

So has anyone else experienced this length of a stall? I know I am doing something wrong, I'll not blame anything but my own activities, but I am just not sure what it is. My surgeon said at my 3 week follow up that I will probably lose 20 lbs before my next one, and I was surprised by that low # (doesn't eveyone love how much falls off right after surgery?!) but wow, now? I'll be looking at the 4 lbs I lost right after that and that's it.

Help?

@@Lauriep I'm in my second stall since surgery. My first one came about 10 days post op, but broke in less than two weeks.

Now, like you, I'm in a looong stall. Last weight loss was 11/19. Like you I keep examining everything I'm doing or not doing. Wish I had an answer other than - stick to your plan, and if you're "cheating" be honest with yourself, change the behavior, forgive yourself and move on. But I think that's really all we can do. There are so many vets on here that have been through many such stalls, and they're successful. Guess we just need some more patience :)

Here's hoping yours breaks soon!!

A couple of thoughts about stalls..... Stalls can be due to Water retention. First, make sure you're hitting your Protein and Fluid levels. (Fluid intake does not cause Water retention.) If you're going on and off your eating plan, or eating sugar or carbs, your body may be going into and out of ketosis. This may cause you to retain water. But the way to deal with stalls mentally is to keep checking how your clothes fit. If you're being true to your program, you should be losing inches even when the scale isn't cooperating.

@@Lauriep and @@amazon -- are you losing sizes/inches?

@@Lauriep and @@amazon -- are you losing sizes/inches?

Yes. I continue to lose a little bit in inches. Haven't dropped a size since, but instead of just fitting in a 12, I notice things getting looser.

That is how I was, then 12-lb. drop. I seriously did not even lose an ounce for a month. Hang in there!

That is how I was, then 12-lb. drop. I seriously did not even lose an ounce for a month. Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement. Need it some times...like now lol. :-)

I could have written your post, @Lauriep. I lost a pound or two a day for the first couple of weeks then hit week 3 and things came to a screeching halt. Until just a couple of days ago, I had only lost 5 lbs in this whole past month. But then, suddenly I have dropped another 4 lbs in the past couple of days. I hope this is a good sign and will continue.

@@Rogofulm - you make some good points. While I wasn't losing, I had started eating a few more carbs here and there. Nothing excessive, but I'd have 4 crackers when my plan said no more than 2 a day. Or an extra couple of bites of rice or potatoes more than was recommended - that sort of thing. I didn't really think it would matter much, but it did add extra calories as well probably affecting ketosis. I cut those things back again and still no change for a week, then suddenly the drop. So, I do think that made a difference.

Glad I read this. I have been on quite the lengthy stall. I have gotten into the habit of having some multigrain crackers with Peanut Butter on them with my meals. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I think that has been part of my problem!! THanks @Ready28 for that bit of info! I have really started to slip into some bad habits. As of yesterday, I believe I am back on track!! Had my one year check up and met with the new NUT. the new NUT was awesome! The last 2 were very nice but all they really said was that I was doing great, keep up the good work. Not very helpful. THis guy is no-nonsense and actually provided good information! Love that.

I just broke a 4 week + stall. I hadn't lost anything since 12/3 and then this morning BAM! 7 lbs. down. :P I could tell during that month that I was losing inches because of how my clothes fit, but it's still frustrating when that scale refuses to budge.

So, I'll join the chorus here of recommending that you continue to work your program!

This is all fantastic info to hear!!

When I asked my NUT if I should be counting anything other than Protein and Water, she said no. My surgical plan and team was and is so awesome I didn't question her. I assume at one of the post op support meetings she'll go into further detail as I progress.

@@Rogofulm So as far as counting carbs, no I haven't which means no ketosis (so funny how many of us must have tried Atkins at one point that we all know what that is!!). I have had a little bread over the holidays and a little Pasta and a little rice (once I was cleared for sushi I ran to the restaurant!) But not really excessive I don't think. But certainly enough to pull me out of ketosis if I ever went into it!

BUT a girl has to have her chocolate now and again. I did on occasion indulge in that, small levels but none the less. If I did it I watched any sugar and fat intake for the rest of that day, and thought I was handling that well, but maybe not.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with water... No I haven't been getting the right amount of liquids and yes on this high proten diet, I am really worried about damage to my kidneys. I am really struggling with this one. I used to just chug a bottle in the morning drink all day, chug more at night drink into the evening but with a 4oz stomach that is no longer possible. I just recently found an app online that is supposed to remind you to drink! I haven't tried it yet :(

Makes me wonder if I can increase it if I'll notice any immediately?

i too @ready2B have been snacking on Peanut Butter and crackers, chose LF (low literally everything) crackers that taste horrible with a little PB and thought that was ok. Maybe not.

@@Susanjoyce392 and @@AngryViking Even though I've not lost a pound in 7 weeks, people I see regularly are commenting on how different I look, so maybe inches are still coming off?

Good to hear others are in a stall. I was worried that this isn't what it is. That it's just a total weight loss and not a stall at all!

Well it finally broke! I believe it was a combo of all of the things listed here! i had a REAAAAALLL issue with lack of Water over the weekend. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone, I mean ANYONE. It never occurred to me that Water affects your digestion and not only what comes into your body but what goes out.... and how. I don't think I need to say anymore than that, you get my drift!

2 weeks ago I upped my water (last week was traveling and didn't get much at all which is what caused the above), changed the Snacks I was eating (often times it was leftover from one of the 3 meals per day vs. a healthy snack) and it started falling off again, literally at the same pace it was post op. Funny how it works! Bjut WHEW I am glad. I guess it was just a natural stall!

Thanks so much for all of your advice!

re: inches: I measured the day before surgery and plan to measure again right at the 3 month mark. I didn't want to spoil the results, am using a digital tape measure and it records the before and after, but then on the 3rd try to overwrite the 1st one.

Edited by Lauriep