Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They wheeled me into the room and I got up and left for a little while pretty much immediately. It didn't hurt, but I was pretty dizzy from the anesthesia. The biggest pain was walking that IV tower around. Frankly I was just really afraid of being stuck in that bed. I passed my surgeon's PA in the hallway and she was actually fairly pleased to see me up and about. After that I was instructed to walk every 2 hours. I was tired, but I did it. I was motivated by the promise that it would help the gas. That was not the case. No DVT though.

As soon as I became continuous, I was up walking. The more I walked, the less pain I was in, or so it seemed. It was hard the 1st couple times ... but I was walking so much the nurses actually put me back in bed a few times, and checked my incision to ensure I had not messed it up. My constant movement got me out of the hospital a day early. My nurses told me they wished other patients would respond the way I did.

I got sick when I got home, nothing to do with surgery, so I was bed ridden for a few days. I had to suffer through all that, again, until I was able to move the way I had in the hospital.

It's not easy, but if you set your mind to it ... then keep trying until it's like a normal issue. Keep moving, no matter how hard it is .... keep focused, determined, and meet each goal you set with the excitement you deserve.

Good luck

Immediately after they wheeled me out of recovery. I wandered the halls of the hospital. It felt better than sitting or laying down. When I got bak to our condo, I would walk the length of the unit - I started with 3 times back and forth and built up from there. I was walking 2 miles by the 4th day.

I will suggest getting into the best shape as you can prior to surgery - start a walking program if you're able. It will make recovery easier.

I walked in recovery. Mostly because I had to pee and didn't want to use the bedpan. Honestly walking ASAP is the best thing for you.

I started a few hours after surgery

About 45 mins after I woke up and the nurses came to take my vitals, then I took my first stroll. Then walked for 10-15 minutes every hour or so after that. I didn't sleep too much, so I walked ALOT.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I was up and walking very shorty after I got to my room. And then every hour after that. Everytime I walked I went further until I was doing laps. And once I was home I walked three times a day to get in my hour, and as I could I went to 30 minute walks.