Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For me it was neither painful nor difficult. After two days it almost seemed like nothing had happened.

@@BeagleLover wow that's amazing! Fingers crossed I can say the same. Did you have to constantly sip for 2 weeks? I'm thinking I'll be drinking an ounce of Fluid every 10 minutes from morning til night.

I hear that the first 2 weeks are the hardest. Very painful & difficult. Anyone care to share what specifically they went through? The more prepared I am, the better!

My first two weeks were breeze. I woke up in recovery and had to pee. I was asked if I wanted the bedpan and I asked could I use the bathroom instead. They brought the wheelchair over and rolled me to the bathroom door. I practically sprinted out of that chair because I *really * had to go. I have a weak bladder and was in recovery for some time waiting for my room to be ready. After that I was allowed to walk to the bathroom on my own and I went another 2 times. My stomach was sore but not painfully so. It felt like I had done a really vigorous workout. I was given ice chips to suck on. I walked a few more time once I was settled into my room. The next day they brought a tray with broth , Jello, Prosource no carb liquid Protein and more ice. I was able to sip on the Protein no problem. In between I sucked on ice chips and drank a little Water. I was offered the morphine pump an turned it down since I still wasn't having any pain. I asked if I could go home but my doctor's protocol is 2 days. I had one incident where I accidentally sucked down a piece of ice that was too large and promptly threw up. After that I was careful not to put too large a piece in my mouth and was fine. The nurse would come in and do the usual vitals check and to empty my drain. They seemed surprised that I didn't need the morphine pump or any narcotics for pain. I was started on colace (stool softener) and omeprazole (generic prilosec). The next day was more of the same, sipping, walking, vitals check.

I went in on Thursday and was discharged on Saturday. The nurse arranged for a visiting nurse to come and check on me at home, I was give prescriptions for the colace & omeprazole. I was also given one for pain meds, but I forget which one. I never filled it.

The biggest challenge that first week was getting in enough fluids and protein. I felt like I was sipping all day. I don't think I came anywhere near 60gms of protein and 48 - 64 ounces of Water. By week 2 it was easier.

I couldn't be happier. I have yet to have any trouble with any new food and my energy level is higher than it's been in a long time.

The hardest part of the first two weeks are the soreness in your belly and wanting to eat things you can't have. It's all mental hunger, because in actuality you are full after just a few sips. You will do fine.

@@BLERDgirl thanks for sharing! So helpful. Were you on blood thinners? I have pre-filled needles to inject myself once a day. My hospital stay is just overnight. My dr did mention the possibility of a drain. What is that for? Do they send you home with it?

@@Big_Mama I am worried about feeling hungry & not being able to eat. My dr said the surgery removes the hunger hormone but I've read that it doesn't always work. After 2 weeks did you stop feeling hungry?

No I wasn't on blood thinners. I had an IVC filter placed the day before surgery. I am scheduled to have it removed on the 12th.

The drain is inserted to help pull any fluids and blood out of your system. Mine was removed when I was discharged I was happy to have the drain since I had gotten a really deep abscess from prior laparoscopic surgery. It doesn't hurt. Some patients are sent home with it, but caring for it is relatively easy.

I'm a week and a day out. I haven't felt actual hunger yet, but my mind tells me it wants to eat. I cook all types of deliciousness for my husband and children, and a part of me wants to try it, but I'll drink some Water, Soup or Protein and I'm ok. I was a big emotional eater. I won't lie to you. 4 days out, I wanted a piece of chicken sooooo bad, I took a bite of it, chewed the living day lights out of it, spit it out, then rinsed my mouth! Lol

At 3 years out, I experience more hunger than i did during the first 1-2 years. What I can promise you is that I am capable of eating and satiating that hunger. I feel like my "sleeve" is now like a thin woman's stomach... it gets hungry but it no longer DRIVES me to eat like an addict.

I had problems with my lapband and a very real issue I experienced was lack of satiety (ie still hungry) but experiencing pain when I would eat healthy food like dense Proteins or salads etc. This does not happen with the sleeve. I get hungry, I eat Protein and feel fine (no vomiting etc) and then I am not hungry until next meal rolls around in about 3 hours. There are behavioral techniques that help with this too.

I have an occasional slice of pizza (though rarely as there are much finer foods I prefer these days) and I do drink socially. Booze is empty calories and of course can lead to addictions (much riskier post sleeve due to addiction transference) so keep a lid on it for sure. I think about it often and am very deliberate about how often I drink and limit quantity carefully too. I personally would not take up either of these pursuits during weight loss phase to maximize your "honeymoon period" of weight loss, but there are several of us who do social drink in life at goal.

I've heard some people don't feel restriction during the liquid diet phase. I didn't. I felt full trying to get all those fluids in. I did desperately want to chew something though.

@@BLERDgirl thanks for sharing! So helpful. Were you on blood thinners? I have pre-filled needles to inject myself once a day. My hospital stay is just overnight. My dr did mention the possibility of a drain. What is that for? Do they send you home with it?

@@Dad I just had my surgery on 1/2/15. I was in pain when I first woke up, and put in a pump. I want able to keep anything down the first night, but the next day I got some broth down and half a Protein shake.

I am giving myself a shot of lovanox (blood thinner) once a day as protocol from my doc For everyone that has had this surgery. I can't even feel the needle, it isn't bad! Also since this has become protocol 2 years ago no one has had any blood clots..do it is just preventative!

Day by day I am doing better, my pain is dwindling! My stomach is just sore. I am able to get between 45-60 grams of Protein, not too much Water, about a cup of broth, and I had a sugarfree Popsicle yesterday and a sugarfree pudding today.

I was ready to run the other way the day of surgery when I found out I lost 12 pounds in two and a Half weeks, but again can I live on a liquid diet the Rest of my life, no!! So hold your head up, beat of luck!

@dad77 No need to worry... just do your best and you'll get to the amount you need.

@@Dad - I did not have a lot of pain at all. My plan was to stay ahead of the pain. I am not the type of person to feel like I need to apologize for taking pain meds. I was given dilaudid and made sure to get it every time I was due. I wasn't given much grief for this at the hospital. I also took anti nausea meds every time they were due for the first day or two. The only time I felt nausea was when one of the nurses pushed the pain meds too quickly. I was walking the day of surgery and was taking multiple laps around the wing on my second day. I was in the hospital 3 nights. 5 days after surgery I walked about a half mile. I was given liquid pain meds to take home. I took them every time they were due for the fist 2 or 3 days at home but probably didn't need them and then only took them at night until they were gone. I had to sleep in a recliner as sleeping in my bed was uncomfortable. I think I did that for a week or two.

As far as hunger - I remember having Tomato Soup at some point in the fist two weeks and it tasted so good. I was not physically hungry when I finished my measured portion. In fact I was quite full. However i was not mentally satisfied with the meal. I wanted more. It took some time getting used to the idea that I didn't need more. it wasn't mentally torturous or anything but it was a little frustrating at times and at other times I was thrilled. 6 months out I still battle with mental hunger. I have a greek yogurt for Breakfast and get busy at work and not think about food until 3pm without feeling any hunger. However, an hour after dinner sitting on the couch I often "feel" hunger and want to eat. I try and keep myself busy because when I am not focusing on hunger I am not hungry.

I don't feel deprived at all and I don't regret the surgery for one second. I went out to watch football with a friend recently. Instead of ordering 24 wings and a basket of rings, I had 4 or 5 wings and was stuffed. I went out to dinner with my family and instead of ordering the biggest thing on the menu, I got a small filet, ate half, a few bites of veggies and a few bites of a baked potato.

Only you can decide if going through with surgery is right for you but I felt the same way you do before surgey and I don't regret it at all.

All your feelings are completely normal. We all had them in some form or another. I've said this before, and I can only speak about my experience, but my VSG was 100's of times easier than my tonsillectomy 2 years ago. I'm 20 days out and I feel better than ever.