Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2 daughters and I are scheduled for lap band surgery 2/12/15 (my poor husband LOL :-). I am excited, anxious, happy, nervous- you name it, I've probably felt it. I am thrilled that my daughters will have the opportunity to get control of their weight earlier in life than I did, and will not have to go through the aches and pains and health issues that come with being overweight all your life.

With all that being said, we still could use all the support we can get. If anyone is interested in joining us for our journey, we would love the company :-)!! Larger support systems just make it that much easier.

Here's to a healthier, successful 2015 and beyond!

@@Band Aid mom very exciting!!! I'm sure that you and your daughters will do great!! It is wonderful to have people in your life that understand where you are coming from. My husband and I were banded 3 days apart and it really helps to be able to work together on our journey and understand what's going on with each other.

If you are all having surgery the same day, I really do feel for your husband if he is going to be the primary care taker for you all at the same time. My advice is that if you are able to stay the night in the hospital do so.

Also prepare your home with everything you will need X3. Ice packs, heating pads, Gas Ex, sugar free ice pops, sugar free Jello, shakes, all of the things you will need so your husband doesn't have to be stressed getting things for each of you to make you comfy.

You will find that you will have lots of supporters on this site!!

Think about the cost of Groceries going way down!!!

Hi there, you're in the right place for support. Welcome aboard! By the way, I had exactly the same stats as you going into surgery: 5'6" and 252. Happy to report on a very successful year. It's an amazing thing to make this choice for a healthy future. And a family affair, indeed. Wow! You guys are going to do great. For me it was really about the exercising. Even though I didn't want to increase my exercise prior to getting banded, I did. It was such a great decision as I felt like I went into the whole process with the right frame of mind. And you know what? Now I actually like exercising. That is indeed a miracle but it's absolutely true. I've switched an obsession with food to an obsession with getting my workout in -- it's amazing. So happy to have the appetite monster off of my back!

Exercising is one of the things I'm really looking forward to, ironically. It is probably the only thing through the years that has kept me from being heavier than I am. I just don't have the endurance I used to and I am looking forward to getting back into it full swing. The appetite monster is what I'm looking to lose!! I am so ready for this journey! It looks like there is such success with the band if you are willing to follow the rules, and we are all in!! I am also really glad I found this site as it is such a wonderful resource.

@@lisacaron, I am trying to get everything in order so my husband only has to tell us it will all be ok in a few days. He really is being a good sport about everything though, so I'm not too worried.

B-52, you are so right! But money always finds someplace to go though LOL. It will probably be a trade-off from grocery bill to wardrobes, but I am OK with that :-)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Are you going through True Results Austin? Were you and your daughters at pre-op this morning? If so I was there in a polka fly headscarf sitting at the table. I thought about this post, but was like no way it could be the same people, but you have the same surgey date. I'm scheduled for 2/16 and nervous!

Yes!! That was us! There were so many people in that room that unfortunately I cannot place you. Are you having yours in Austin or SA?

It's funny- I'm nervous and anxious when I think of the girls getting it done (guess that's a mom thing) but not so much for myself. I'm excited and ready to be moving on with it. I have enjoyed losing the weight pre-op (I had 4 weeks of pre-op diet instead of 2 like everyone else) but sure will be happier when I'm not constantly feeling hungry doing it!!

We will have to keep in touch through this journey! I'd love to have a little hometown support :D

Do you live north or south?

I live north and I'm having the surgey in San antonio. I would rather have it done in south Austin, but my insurance doesn't cover it so I have to go the hernia route. Why such a long pre-op? I talked to the surgeon afterward and he told me the diet doesn't matter and I can do whatever diet I want I just need to lose a few pounds before surgery and my liver will shrink.

Oh, were you the person that asked Lana if we could meet with the doctor individually? If so, now I can place who you are!

After my bloodwork came back they called and said they wanted me on 4 weeks instead of 2- something about my cholesterol they didn't like. It's weird because I just had my routine bloodwork done January of last year and my PCP said it looked fine- not sure what changed in a year since my diet didn't really change, but that's ok. I will have the prettiest LITTLE liver he ever saw! LOL

Yep that was me. They never brought up my bloodwork so I guess it was okay, but at the EGD and my bp was crazy high (180/100) so I am worried about that. I've never had high blood pressure so now I have one more thing to worry about which prob makes my bp worse. Are you south or north austin?

Could the BP have been nerves? Hopefully the weight loss will correct it if not. That is one of my goals- to get off BP meds.

I live south.

I hope it was nerves. Yesterday it was a lot lower so hopefully it will stay that way for surgery. Were you surprised when Paul said there is no restriction for the first couple of weeks? I don't know how I will get through the liquid diet without restriction

I guess I knew that at first the restriction would be minimal, but from what I have read on here it looks like hunger will be minimal the first week or so too. I was relieved though when the doctor said it is not so much what you eat, but the consistency. I like broth and could probably have made it a week but I was much happier when I heard that I can have actual Soups ground to nothingness LOL. I can eat Soup all day, every day, so I think I will be ok. And my daughter likes smoothies, so she was happy when she found out she can do a vanilla Protein shake with ice and some fresh fruit. I think the key will be to change it up so you don't feel like there is nothing to eat. Today my plan is to make 4 different Soups (chicken veggie, cauliflower potato leek with bacon, broccoli cheese with a little ham and vegetable beef), let them cool, throw into blender and make sure it can go through a straw then put 3/4 cup in ziplock containers and throw in the freezer for quick access. I also bought some unflavored Protein powder than can be added before eating (have to be careful though because it turns to nastiness if you add when the Soup is 140 degrees or over- found that out the hard way with testing).

I'm scouring the internet today to have other ideas and will try to prepare other things so we are not stuck with the usual liquid diet fare. I am seriously hoping that will be the key to staying satisfied through this!

I will let you know how it's going next weekend when the rubber meets the road LOL!

the family affair i like that my wife and i had the band done and couldnt be happier all because my older brother had it done a year before and had great results

That is awesome Cruehead!! It looks like you have been very successful too. Day after tomorrow we get to start our journey and I am soooo excited!