Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Set backs and starting over

I was banded in 2010. I went from 253 to 160. I had maintained my weightloss until about a year sgo when I had to have an emergency total hysterectomy. After that surgery I gained about ten lbs and then it kinda steadied out. Over the last six months I have been dealing with some relationship issues and am now single. I recently stepped on the scale to realize ive gained another 10 or so lbs. Realizing ive slipped back into some bad habbits. All that goes down when I am stressed are sliders and I often struggle with liquids even.

So here I am again, starting over and im trying to get back into eating right, like I should and starting my workouts again. I feel alone and no longer have the support I used to. I need some tips for getting back on track and for high protien foods that wont stick. Any help and support is appreciated!

Did they have to remove all the Fluid from your band for the emergency surgery?

@@Fluffy_Gurl I totally understand where you are coming from. Stress is a big trigger for me and you have been through a lot. Don't underestimate the power that our hormones have over us.

It's great that you are ready to refocus and get back on track. I have to do that every day!! I can easily be knocked off track by stress and find it very hard to get back again.

First let me tell you that you are and have done amazing in losing your weight. Now take a deep breath and here we go!!

This site is wonderful place to come to for support, guidance, information and a myriad of other things. When I am "off track" what I find works the best for me is going back to basics. From early days of banding and just resetting my mind and body.

I will go back to Protein shakes, and things like that and what's even better is that they don't get me sick when I am super stressed or upset and I am getting in the Protein that my body needs.

I try to schedule and pre-plan my meals and workouts so that I am on a schedule. My biggest issues are allowing others to derail my efforts and I know this. It's as simple as my hubs telling me he doesn't want to go food shopping...and I know I have to get things for work to be "on track" or my son who is picking up his first car tonight and needs me to be there with him...can keep me from keeping my gym appointment. However I am working this year on keeping my resolve FIRM and sticking to my plans and having other things work around my schedule vs me doing for others in-spite of myself. I am a self saboteur and I know this about myself so I have to work on it :)

I come here when I need the support and the advice of others on the same journey. Hope to see you here as well and together we will all make it work!

TBH, if you are resorting to slider goods, you are too tight! Even when stressed, and my band akways feels tighter when I am stressed, you shouid still be able to eat normal goods, just with extra care. It is fairly common for bands to get tighter over time as scar tissue builds up and it may be this has happened to you. So if this tightness has lasted more than a few weeks, you may need a tiny amount of saline out. As little as 0.1 cc can actually make a difference.

In your shoes, I would not be resorting to Protein shakes - if you NEED to, you are too right and if you CHOOSE to, you are not using yor band as it was designed to be used.

The most common cause of band complications is being too tight. I admit to bring oaranoid about being tight? But that na be why I gave my band still after almost 9 years - there aren't that many of us around!

TBH, if you are resorting to slider goods, you are too tight! Even when stressed, and my band akways feels tighter when I am stressed, you shouid still be able to eat normal goods, just with extra care. It is fairly common for bands to get tighter over time as scar tissue builds up and it may be this has happened to you. So if this tightness has lasted more than a few weeks, you may need a tiny amount of saline out. As little as 0.1 cc can actually make a difference.

In your shoes, I would not be resorting to Protein Shakes - if you NEED to, you are too right and if you CHOOSE to, you are not using yor band as it was designed to be used.

The most common cause of band complications is being too tight. I admit to bring oaranoid about being tight? But that na be why I gave my band still after almost 9 years - there aren't that many of us around!

Sorry about typos above. Can't use the edit tab for done reason

Sounds like we are in similar boats. I had my band placed in 2012. I weighed 292 and got to 165 about a year ago. Since having the band placed, I went to the bariatric center monthly. I met with a nurse practitioner to discuss strategies and to weigh & check blood pressure. In the last six months, we've made a major move and I no longer have the bariatric center because there isn't one in my new area. Unfortunately, since the move, I have been stress eating and have gained enough that my pants are TIGHT. I don't know the number because I no longer weigh, but use my clothes as a judge of gain/loss. I like to stay in my 10s and 12s. Thanks to the bariatric nurse, I have never bought any bigger clothes, so I've got to get this off or wear pjs in public. I'll choose to get this weight off. :)

My band is in the sweet spot, has been for over a year, and just need to listen to it and control what I put in my mouth. I do Protein (Syntrax Matrix) shakes for Breakfast and lunch and eat a small portioned dinner with my family. It just works better for me and my nurse practitioner agreed since it keeps my Protein levels high.

What I seek is an accountability partner. I'd like somebody to check in with daily, to hold me accountable, and discuss ideas and strategies. As a veteran bander, I think I have some tips to offer and I'd love to partner with another bander.

Interested??

Hi I was banded in 2006... I'm at my sweet spot.. I started off right at 240 lbs.. I'm down to 130/135... I still have trouble with some foods.. Like you I would love some feedback...

Hey girl I'm right there with you. I gained nearly 30 lbs post surgery I had a Tummy Tuck. It didn't go well. I fell into bad comfort eating habits I'm really struggling to break and get on track. I was in the green zone pre op and felt awesome. Now I feel totally disgusted with myself but can't seem to kick start myself back on track. Totally understand. Just going to try to do one day at a time.

My 2 girls help keep me on track when I let others pull me off. Get a gym buddy or girlfriend to talk to.

I was banded in May of 2013. My starting weight was 289 and now I teeter between130-133. I agree with starting back with the basics. liquid, mushies, soft, solid phases. I think it helps you to not only reset your band but it helps restart your mind, which in my opinion is the most important especially when emotions are involved (and when are they not:-)). Right now you're going through a hard time and the greatest thing you can do for yourself is to put YOU first! By doing so you'll feel so much better and it will give you the strength to get through life's challenges a little easier.

This site is absolutely amazing! We're all here to help and support one another. Everyone has different opinions which is good, you pick and chose what you do and don't like and come up with what works best for you.

You can get back to where you were; in fact, I believe you'll be better than you were before! After-all challenges ='s more character right??;)