Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ah! Penny! Why?!?!?(My 600 lb life)

I totally agree @@Inner Surfer Girl. My 600 pound life is much superior to The Biggest Loser. For one TBL sets the dominoes all in line for an epic failure. No doubt the majority of us in theory could be bullied into losing a massive amount of weight with their standard boot camp tactics. But what happens when they're faced with real life again? While some of their contestants probably did go on to keep the weight off long term, I'd bet it's more of an exception than the rule.

My 600 is inspirational to me as well. If someone can turn their life around and lose that amount of weight I know I can do the same thing. It isn't about sensationalism or tabloid reporting. It's about real people facing real problems that could ultimately result in death. While not all of them reached 100 percent success, some did, and that's the real message - that it's never too late to change your life, no matter what type of physical or emotional prison you're locked into.

Penny's message was you have to want it, really want it, to the point where you're willing to do anything to make a difference. She didn't want it. Now her prison is that bed and she's the only one with the power to make a key. Sadly, I think that bed will ultimately be her tomb.

Edited by The Candidate

And I can't believe you all watch that ****.

It's a reality show!

That means it's mostly scripted, made up ****.

That's the way ALL reality shows are shot.

Even The Biggest Loser.

Google is your friend.

Reality TV is descended historically from the traditional soap opera. Obviously both genres are scripted. They are meant to be entertainment.

I don't think that comes as a shock to people in this day and age. And it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed like any other form of entertainment. ????

I love hate these shows. I love to see everyone's success but when they do wrong it Pisses me off and then it just reminds me I need to do better.

I think one of the things that made me most angry was at the beginning of the show when she said her family, friends and community helped raise the money for her to get the surgery. Not only did she throw away the gift of this surgery but she threw away other people's money. Also, she's on full disability and her husband "can't" work because he cares for her 24/7. So it looks like they're accustomed to getting everything handed to them and pissing it down the drain.

...and they all 3 had iPhones! And a nice apartment in Houston! And a nice minivan to cart her around in! And NO ONE in the family bringing in a paycheck! SMH!

I love this show!!! I watched the preview and it looks like a good seadon

I think it takes a special kind of person to end up 600+ pounds. I see a very similar trend with those that do this..absolute control, of their environment, people, etc. if they stay the way they are, people with cater to them, and they can be a victim. I am not saying that is true 100% of the time, but it is true much of the time. In fact, ALL of the obese people I know, have serious anxiety and control issues, in other words, when they feel out of control, they have major anxiety. Shame on her for not accepting the help she was given, shame on her husband for not helping her, so she can actually live a long, healthy life. The rest of us have to work hard, and pay for our things.

Hi Jeniker...

600-Lb Life begins Wednesday, 1/7/2015 with the First Episode and Season. It is on TLC (The Learning Channel) which is cable. Chk your listings. There is also a marathon of the shows on this same day with "Penny episode" on at 4 pm EST. The first episode is called " My 600 lb Life: Where are they Now!" at 9 PM est. I tape the shows so I don't have to listen to the commercials.

I agree with everyone that on these shows, it is another learning tool of what Not To DO. Also, Penny's story I am not certain about as she had the sleeve, I believe (forgot now) but her new stomach is smaller so what happened with that? No way could I eat anything much at the very beginning! or even now over yr post sleeve.

Good luck to you.

Hugs, alese

...Go it on Record! I Love that show because it let's me know that, that could me! And I Thank the Lord everyday that Im getting a handle on this! But I will say...HOW CAN THEY EAT ALL OF THAT food AFTER THE SURGERY? I'M CONFUSED!

I am confused too! I did tape it today as there is a marathon of the shows on now 1/7/2015. Now that I am at my goal, maybe I can detect a clue!

I know, I have compared the eating habits of a 600 lb person and a 130 lb person with results that at the time of my heaviest, I did consume more than a 130 #er so if I weighed 600+ # that is a tremendous amount of food. I've always said, that a person who can weigh over 500+# have a propensity to weigh that much. I don't think I could ever have weighed that much ever though my pre-surg wt was 235# and that was Bad Enough! I don't want to suggest that anyone can gain that much wt.

Hugs, alese

It doesn't matter what the scale says, be it 250 pounds or 650 pounds, weight wise everyone on this site is exactly the same. Fat enough to require surgery, and that's the bottom line.

Great show - we even get it here in Australia. I agree with everyone about how this episode made me feel angry that she was wasting such an opportunity. I wonder if they will follow up with Penny in the next season?

Must be on Foxtel, is it? I've never seen it on free to air.

I like watching eps of Fat Doctor on YouTube. Shaw Somers is a bit of alright, too, lol.

Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by mrs kaje

Duplicate. Stupid Kindle!

Edited by mrs kaje

Must be on Foxtel, is it? I've never seen it on free to air.

I like watching eps of Fat Doctor on YouTube. Shaw Somers is a bit of alright, too, lol.

Yes it is on Foxtel - on TLC channel - and that other show "My Weight is Killing Me".

Fat Doctors is the UK one isn't it? I like that one too.