Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why different post op diet requirements?

Does anyone know why doctors have different post-op diet requirements for the same surgery?

OoncZWN.jpgOoncm5.png

I assume it's because of the research they have done and training.

@@Annie77 Mine obviously was trained in torture! Two week of that nothing but liquid ugh! But I love him and he helped to change my life so I followed right along with his orders, as I'm sure you will :)

I'm supposed to be on Clear Liquids for 3 weeks then soft foods (only soups) for a month. I feel weak and I think I need more substantial foods (soft or puréed).

While I like to think my program is just super conservative because they care about their patients....some of it has to do with how well my program compares to other military programs. They are very proud of the fact that their patients' average 30 pounds lost during PreOp and the high percentages of patients who have exceeded the national average of weight loss patients after surgery. These stats most definitely helps when budget time rolls around. Not to mention...bragging rights and dr's ego.

Edited by ProjectMe

Much has to do with their training. I contributed much of the confusion on the different surgeries. For many years the Band was the most performed. The diet requirment are different between a band and a sleeve. The support group I belong to has more banders or should I more longer time banders than sleevers. I received lots of conflicting advise from this group. Banders have many more complications and a lower success rate. For instance banders throw up lots depending on what they eat and have dumping syndrome and other bad side effects. Most of us sleevers do not.

@@Annie77 That's a bit rough! Good luck! You can do it...

There are many variables. The surgeon's own skill level and training. It could be something as simple as whether he's a DO versus and MD. Some doctors are more conservative than others. Some have had more success with a certain technique. Because the surgery is still relatively new, some mirror the protocols they use for bypass patients. Then they also have to customize the procedure to the individual. So you have the patient's age & overall health to consider. You have look at their eating habits. Men and women may respond differently to the surgery. Does the patient have a hernia that needs to be repaired? A gallbladder that needs to be removed? What if a patient is vegetarian or pescatarian? What if the patient has diabetes or hypertension?

The basic surgery is remove approximately 85% of the stomach then place them on a high Protein diet to induce ketosis and then transition to high Protein regular diet.

It's one of the reasons why you need to do your research when choosing a program. You need to find a program that is a good match for you and your lifestyle. Otherwise you may be setting yourself up to fail.

Edited by BLERDgirl

The short answer is that despite what many people believe, modern medicine is not an exact science. The long answer is that (and this is only my opinion) that there are many things providers take into account when they set up a post-op diet plan. The first and foremost thing they obviously consider is safety. Opinions as to what is safe probably vary. Another one of those things is that people react differently to the surgery. Some people have more swelling, more pain and more intolerance to certain foods than others. My program slowly reintroduced foods and I was told that a big part of that was because some foods are more easily tolerated than others. I believe Another consideration is that for long term success we have to permanently change our habits. It takes significantly longer to break bad habits than to establish or reestablish them. I think some programs move slowly with the post-op diet because we are most likely to strictly adhere to instructions in the time immediately after surgery and by moving slowly through the phases we are more likely to break bad habits and establish new good habits.

Follow your doctor's program. You don't need anything more substantial. You want something more substantial. I felt the same way. I never was mentally satisfied after eating a 1/2 cup of Tomato Soup. My advice is to do everything in your power to mentally convince yourself you don't need anything more substantial. After a few months you are going to be back to being allowed to eat whatever you can tolerate. At that point it is going to be on you to make the right choices. You are going to be surprised at how much junk you can eat if you try. Having been there and trying to get back on track right now, my biggest wish is that I had never tried eating the junk in the first place. If you focus on following the program and beating the mental aspect of not being satisfied now, it will be easier to avoid getting off track down the road.

@@Annie77 That does sound rough! I was on clear liquids 2.5 days after surgery and full liquids including Soup and yogurts for almost 3 weeks after that. Ventured to pureed foods for a week and this is my first full week on soft foods. Check with your nutritionist also, may be they can help you figure something out specific for your needs. It's all just precautionary measures in which the doctor feels comfortable. The longer you go with out substantial food, the easier it is for your stomach to heal.

I'm supposed to be on clear liquids for 3 weeks then soft foods (only soups) for a month. I feel weak and I think I need more substantial foods (soft or puréed).

This is part of the mentality you need to fight early on. You are really, most likely just fine. Protein Drinks are still counted as clear liquids and will do what you need. My liquid diet was 5 days prior, two weeks of clear liquids, followed by a month of full liquids. At 6 weeks I was able to add purees and soft foods. You can do this.

This is part of the mentality you need to fight early on. You are really, most likely just fine. Protein drinks are still counted as clear liquids and will do what you need.

Protein Shakes are not counted as clear liquids. Clear liquids are just that, liquids you can see through. Protein shakes count as fluids. For example I actually drink 48 ounces of Water a day. However I also drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast everyday that is 20 ounces. My total Fluid intake it 68 ounces a day, just slightly over the 64 ounce recommendation.

Protein shakes are not counted as clear liquids. Clear liquids are just that, liquids you can see through. Protein Shakes count as fluids. For example I actually drink 48 ounces of Water a day. However I also drink a Protein shake for breakfast everyday that is 20 ounces. My total Fluid intake it 68 ounces a day, just slightly over the 64 ounce recommendation.

There are some clear Protein drinks - Isopure fruit drinks/teas/coconut Water are clear and have 20 to 40 grams of protein.

I was only on clears in the hospital - two days. On purees for a week, soft solids for a month and normal diet from then on. And my program is a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Regardless of surgery done everyone who goes through Northwestern Memorial in Chicago has the same post op diet. I think there is more than one way to finagle a bagel and doctors/nutritionists in any given program go about things in a way that they feel works best for their patients and their success rate.

There are some clear Protein drinks - Isopure fruit drinks/teas/coconut Water are clear and have 20 to 40 grams of Protein.< /p>

I was only on clears in the hospital - two days. On purees for a week, soft solids for a month and normal diet from then on. And my program is a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Regardless of surgery done everyone who goes through Northwestern Memorial in Chicago has the same post op diet. I think there is more than one way to finagle a bagel and doctors/nutritionists in any given program go about things in a way that they feel works best for their patients and their success rate.

Yes a clear Protein Drink might qualify as a clear Fluid, but not all protein drinks are clear. I made my comment so that someone who is reading this and drinking some other type of drink isn't confused.

I am not very comfortable with my NUT, she is very young, has recently joined the team, and seems inexperienced.