Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No caffeine ever?

I have coffee every day. It's the only way I can drink my Protein Powder. My nutritionist suggested it as a vehicle for getting in my Protein. After surgery my tastes changed and I couldn't stand any protein powder. The vanilla powder in my coffee gets masked by the coffee, sugar free Torani Syrup and a tiny spot of Creamer.

My doctor said we shouldn't have caffeine because it can cause ulcers and our real estate down there is pretty limited now so we can't afford a bleeding ulcer. I didn't really drink caffeine anyway so I stay away from it for the most part but technically, there is nothing we can't have. There's a lot of things we "shouldn't" have so it's up to you. Personally, I like to have an occasional diet Pepsi (caffeine-free) despite all the warnings that my stomach will explode. It might be bubbly poison, but it is delicious bubbly poison.

My doctor said we shouldn't have caffeine because it can cause ulcers and our real estate down there is pretty limited now so we can't afford a bleeding ulcer. I didn't really drink caffeine anyway so I stay away from it for the most part but technically, there is nothing we can't have. There's a lot of things we "shouldn't" have so it's up to you. Personally, I like to have an occasional diet Pepsi (caffeine-free) despite all the warnings that my stomach will explode. It might be bubbly poison, but it is delicious bubbly poison.

This ???? I had absolutely no issues with heart burn or reflux until I accidentally had a black tea and later in the day had some dark chocolate. That small amount of caffeine triggered the most terrible heart burn for two days. I started taking Omeprazol and cut the caffeine out again but the heart burn creeps up now and again. I think some of us are more sensitive than others but after reading a post about someone getting an ulcer and leak MONTHS after surgery I'm not taking any chances.

My doctor said there was no medical reason to not drink caffeine.

NUTs can be a little drastic. No caffeine ever again! No soda ever again! No bread ever again! You will drink Water and eat broccoli with dry white meat chicken for the rest of your life!

Actually, not so much. Yes, you need to make a lifestyle change and no you can't eat and drink like you used to. However, you do not have to go on the nutritionist nazi diet.

Caffeine can cause you to lose Water, so in the early months when you are struggling to get your liquids in, it is a bad idea. Carbonated beverages and bread can be bad while you are healing, but you may tolerate them just fine later.

Regular coffee was on my list at discharge for full liquids. Only restriction was no more than 16 oz per day. I'm a week out and have been making coffee shakes with vanilla or chocolate Protein powder. Yummy! I've only used Decaf though. Figure I'll wait before I bring out the "heavy artillery" LOL

During the months before VSG surgery, I cut down on coffee to 1/2 a cup a day. Post-op, I've had 4-8 ounces (usually 4) in the early morning long before Breakfast. No problems from that that I'm aware of.

I haven't had any carbonated beverages since 2-3 months pre-op. I had long wanted to eliminate diet sodas anyway, so goody!

I also think that I'm sleeping better these days because I'm taking in a lot less caffeine. Another benefit of less coffee and no sodas.

As a nurse I know that caffeine is a diuretic so I have made the choice to only drink Decaf. At my clinic you can't count caffeinated drinks for your overall liquid intake so by drinking decaf I can count my 24oz of coffee in the morning in my overall liquid intake. As far as carbonation I was told that the bubbles can cause stretching and if you have hiatal hernia repair at the time of surgery it make burping even harder. So I have no interest in even trying any.

I drink regular caffeine diet Pepsi and I have since about two months post-op. I am at 15 months post-op and my sleeve is still working quite well. Caffeine itself is fine, but diet soda is just bad for you in general. It won't stretch your sleeve or hurt you any differently than it hurts anyone else, but the nice thing about being on major drugs for a few days is that you get to skip the whole caffeine withdrawal headache phase. You can easily use that time as a way to detox from caffeine with the help of narcotics, haha.

I am almost 2 years post-op and I drink a 16oz latte every morning. At first after the surgery I couldn't handle coffee at all. But eventually I started easing myself back into my morning coffee habit, the only modification is I make a latte with skim milk which I heat in the microwave. The milk buffers the acidic coffee and is yummy and comforting. I like to use a sugar-free Syrup to flavor it too. Everyone is different in what they can tolerate post-op and that can evolve quite a bit as you go forward. As for sodas and carbonated drinks I can't drink them. It's like my sleeve just rejects it. However I can drink a beer, no problem. I guess the alcohol in the beer relaxes my tummy, along with the rest of me (LOL) but it is quite filling.

I have Caffeine daily. I have to have my coffee to get my day started. I just do not use any pure sugars. My body doesn't care for sugar anyway it makes me sick so I use two to three packets of Splenda or sweet and low as a substitute. The sugar and caffeine maybe way you should have it because most people load their coffee with sugar.

I couldn't WAIT to come home after surgery to have coffee. It was one of the only things that made me feel better.

I'm almost 2 years post op and had been drinking a cup a day since about 2 weeks out of surgery. Ive only stopped to see if it will help me to kick start my weight loss again.

I've never had any issues with drinking coffee and at this far out I've even had a couple of cups a day. I see hear that it's thought to be an appetite stimulant but for me it was a supressent. It helped me during those times when I felt nauseated for no apparent reason (which has happened since my surgery) or when I had the urge to snack on sweets.

But I think what someone else said is true. The surgeon and NUT guidelines are just that, you've got to listen to and watch your body. That's the only way you'll know if it's good for you.

I second this! Pay attention to your body and use your healing time to reform bad habits that will stall weight loss or encourage weight gain.

I was fortunate in that my surgeon said coffee was ok after 1 week post-op. It actually curbs my appetite and I love my morning and afternoon cup every day. Even before being sleeved, I enjoyed sipping hot beverages in between meals and found that helped curb my hunger (coffee or tea). I also don't use anything in my coffee except a teaspoon of almond milk or half and half. I adore coffee and am grateful for it, esp during these cold winter months.

I was told no carbonation, and never really cared for soda, so I don't miss it. I had a sip of champagne at a wedding and didn't notice anything except a burp or two, but I didn't take it any further than the sip. I miss hard cider on occasion, but it's not worth what it might do to my stomach, so I push through the craving.

Wow! I am so grateful for the overwhelming response. I agree that we should listen to our bodies. I have adopted the "in moderation " mentality to all I consume and appreciate all your feedback. Thanks to all my VSG friends for your input. What's up for New Year's Eve everybody!?????

I just had my Nut appointment. No caffeine for 1 month. According to my surgical center, who has been doing this for 10 years, nothing is off limits, but your choices will affect your success. The first few months restrictions are there to allow your stomach to heal.