Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No caffeine ever?

Is it correct that we can never have caffeine again? I had Decaf for about 4 months and have since returned to my daily cup of joe and have had no issues. Do I need to stop?

I have been drinking coffee and taking caffeine pills since about the 2nd month post-op. I've never had an issue. My advice is to pay attention to how your body responds to caffeine and if it becomes a problem, then limit or stop.

No, you can have it, but remember that caffeine can be an appetite stimulant so pay close attention to how your body reacts.

Caffeine can tend to dehydrate you per my Nut. But I went back to small servings of coffee at 3 months. I just drink 1/2 a cup in the morning instead of 2 or 3 cups. No sodas though.

I think you will hear different surgeons say different things about caffeine, just like you will about alcohol and other "gray area" things. I have coffee every morning, and have since probably 1 month post op. My surgeon said the concern would be that it can be an appetite stimulant. I haven't had any issues though.

Don't know if I'm allowed to ask this here? .........( I'm not sleeved, still just in the "research phase" so to speak) Are you never allowed to have anything carbonated? I don't drink soda but enjoy a plain seltzer Water occasionally........

My doctor said there was no medical reason to not drink caffeine.

You won't die : )- I do Decaf tea but I suppose if it were absolutely necessary I would drink some. I'm not even sure the reason why we aren't suppose to. My surgeon just said not now, while I'm healing so I don't know if it a lifetime thing or not?

Maybe it's because some people use a lot of sugar and junk which then makes it into a big cup of empty calories...or maybe because it can dehydrate you and they want you to be hydrated in the beginning when it's hardest?

I'm almost 2 years post op and had been drinking a cup a day since about 2 weeks out of surgery. Ive only stopped to see if it will help me to kick start my weight loss again.

I've never had any issues with drinking coffee and at this far out I've even had a couple of cups a day. I see hear that it's thought to be an appetite stimulant but for me it was a supressent. It helped me during those times when I felt nauseated for no apparent reason (which has happened since my surgery) or when I had the urge to snack on sweets.

But I think what someone else said is true. The surgeon and NUT guidelines are just that, you've got to listen to and watch your body. That's the only way you'll know if it's good for you.

I started back on caffeine at week 7. Tiny sips but I mix my beans..half caffeinated & half Decaf. At about a cup a day in the am. My doc and NUT said caffeine is ok just no bubbly and do not consider it as part of my 64 oz of daily liquid. I sweeten with Splenda and use Lactaid or non-dairy Creamer if no Lactaid in house. Once I used a little heavy cream.

It also suppresses my appetite, not that I use it for that...I just need it to wake up because I am soooooo not a morning person. Ugh!

Edited by tomi71

My nutritionist recommended Chike as good tasting Protein drinks. I bought the samples, and loved the coffee flavored one. I've been having it every morning since the surgery on 12/12. I just realized that a shake has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. Do I need to stop drinking it? I haven't felt any ill effects from it. It's the only Protein Shake that I actually enjoy.

I loved my coffee! So I asked my nut why no coffee? She told me that caffeine inhibits the absorption of Vitamins. Which would affect us sleevers since we have to take all our vitamins daily. Not sure if it's true but that is what I was told.

My doc said that caffeine was a diuretic, which was why he warned me against drinking it more than occasionally. That being said, I stretch my single bag of black tea out through the day (strongest brew in the morning!), have small cups of Decaf, and once in a while get a regular latte. Like everyone says, listen to your body.

As for carbonated drinks and seltzers, be careful. Your tummy's only so big, and all those bubbles can cause chaos. If I want a small glass of something bubbly (had a bit of champagne on Xmas), I take teeny sips and let the bubbles blow up on my tongue for a while before swallowing. I'm burping enough as it is!