Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing much weight.

I am 6 weeks post op, have lost about 22 lbs and have stopped. I am not 100% with the program, but added exercise this week and eating so much less than I was. I don't understand why I have stopped losing weight. I cannot eat a lot so I get hungry every few hours. I am not supposed to graze but get intensely hungry throughout the day. I am very depressed about this, I put myself through this emotionally and physically grueling procedure and I am besides myself.

I eat a lot of Protein but do eat sweets a little bit, but not enough to stop weight loss?? I do not drink the required 6-8 glasses a day.

I really need help. I was not crazy about the nutritionist I saw for pre op work, and do not know who else to speak to, if that is recommended.i don't know how many calories I eat a day and can't find the right food journal.

Thank you for your help in advance!!

In my own experience, I have found that even eating the smallest amount of sweets/fruit/sugar will cause me to have head hunger every few hours. And that would cause just enough overeating to stall my weight loss. It took a long time to realize this. So I eat low carb foods and meat most of the time. Most anything I eat that is sweet is now made with artificial sweeteners or gets it's sweetness from fat.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I know I haven't been 100% with the program either. Those little sweets are usually more than you think. When I eat straight my weight drops again, but when I don't pay attention to what I eat (i.e., food log) I don't lose. Our brains trick ourselves into thinking we aren't eating as much as we do. I did this thing where I had one trash can where all I put in it was any junk type or processed food trash I ate for the week. I was shocked by the amount of wrong food I was eating, after thinking I was only having a little here and there. Our brains are broken which is why we needed this tool in the first place to help us. I believe the only way to stay on program is to write your food down so it is in black and white in front of you. But I too have to be better. Thank you for reminding me.

You've got to work. My surgeons basically said the first 20-30 lbs are free. The rest you've got to work for. Think of WLS as just one leg of the stool. The other two are exercise and good food choices/quantities. By your own admission, you are missing the other two legs of the stool. Get up, and get moving. Doesn't have to be 30-45 minutes at a time. It could just be 10 minutes 3xs a day, then build from there. Regarding the food, stick with choices that are less than 15 carbs, less than 5 grams of sugar and less than 5 grams of fat. Limit yourself to a few ounces at a time and record using My Fitness Pal App.

Go to work.

I use my fitness pal also and if it cannot be measured on there. I DONT EAT IT. For example it is next to impossible to measure how many calories one French fry is and I would never eat enough to actually measure so I choose not to eat it. I don't know how to measure just a bite of a cookie so I don't eat any of that stuff. That's my own rule. And it works.

You said it yourself. You aren't following the program. That's why you aren't losing. If you don't like your nutritionist then Google baritric sleeve diets and follow that. Get some form of exercise daily. Start keeping a food log at least for a few months until you get the grazing & nibbling under control. All your urgent bad habits are why you aren't losing.

Thank you everyone. I am off to a brand new start today. Downloaded my fitness ap, no sugar at all, and will follow your suggestions!

I'm almost 2 years post op and haven't lost much weight in the past year because I have pretty much been doing what I want. In the past month I've really started to change my ways and have already started to see loss of inches and pounds. People are right, go back to Protein first, low carb low to no sugar, that seems to be the "secret" to VSG weight loss, and weight loss period. That and Water. I thank God I love exercise or I'd probably have been gaining instead of stalled.

You can estimate calories in a serving if its not listed in an app. Here's a great link:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chips-fries-french-fries_f-ZmlkPTU1MTE3.html

Mind you, this works only if the serving you receive is accurate. Are you able to measure by sight? Like, a serving of meat s/b the size of a deck of cards, etc. Just remember if you eat fast food like McD & the like there's more salt than the Dead Sea in their so-called food.

Err on the side of caution and just keep non-nutritional "treats" as a planned, once in a while treat.

I went to Red Robin, ate 2 fries after eating most of the small chicken breast from the plain chicken breast sandwich ( didn't touch the roll as I can't stomach bread unless its flat and toasted) and lived to tell about it and still losing.

Reset your mind to be mindful and start going to support groups again and go back to basics. Always, healthy Protein first, complex carbs, then maybe a bite of a "nonsense" carb like fries or a cookie IF you must. You might find you are satisfied though if you eat as your NUT taught and probably won't want the bad stuff. Sometimes cravings are from a missing nutrient.

I love Bariatricpal; its a great tool BUT I find far more help face-to-face at support meetings because some members are 2-3 years out and give great "watch out for xyz traps", and the sharks/trolls/sanctimonious attitudes that can show up on any online boards DON'T behave that way in person at support groups as the nurses and WLS vets who run them do not play when it comes to that mess. All the more reason to go to face to face meetings if you can. There are even some in my neck of the woods that Skype. One suggestion a vet gave who started his journey with about 200lbs to lose, was join WW. Once he hit goal and maintained he earned the coveted lifetime membership and therefore support forever!

Keep your chin up. We are all human. WLS is a tool....like Wonder Woman's golden bracelets; they only work when you work it!

Don't give up on yourself! Have faith in yourself! Happy New Year!

PS: perspective... Are you at ground zero? Look back and count your achievements since your procedure. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by tomi71

@@tomi71 - great tip. I no longer like WW because they encourage too much fake and processed food but I like the idea of having free support group mtgs & weigh ins. My doctor offers follow every few months until year 1 and then annual check ups. They also like to have veterans pop in to the support groups. I also agree it's great to make the in person groups. Ours are facilitated by the bariatric nutritionist.

@@tomi71 - great tip. I no longer like WW because they encourage too much fake and processed food but I like the idea of having free support group mtgs & weigh ins. My doctor offers follow every few months until year 1 and then annual check ups. They also like to have veterans pop in to the support groups. I also agree it's great to make the in person groups. Ours are facilitated by the bariatric nutritionist.

I totally agree with you on that fake food. One hasn't lived until they've had a meal that doesn't consist of processed crap and chemicals. Plus, I find having a veg garden to be such a stress reliever! Even if one doesn't have space for a veg garden it is still possible to grow something to contribute towards eating good, nutrient-dense food.:

Here's a list of foods we can buy once regrow in a smaller space and reap its benefits for a long, long time:

Celery

Lettuce

Potatoes (especially sweet potoatoes)

Onions of all kinds

Garlic

Fennels

pineapple

Ginger

Aparagus

Artichokes

List goes on but most of the above can be regrown in smaller planters on a patio, balcony, sunny side of a house. Just another good habit/hobby to consider for wl and health success.

Once you re-read your post you can see what you need to fix.

I am 3 wks post op and I did not experience the 3rd week stall. I keep my carbs under 50 grams and Protein over 60 grams every single day. I use the loseit.com site to keep my food journal. I have also started the 5:2 diet this week to avoid the dreaded 3rd week stall and it worked like magic. I eat between 600-800 calories on 5 days a week and on 2 days (Mon and Thu) I keep it to under 500 calories. I am not eating junk at all- my treat is my chewable Vitamin and I had one real fruit popsicle this week. I also eat real food- none of the low sugar, low carb, low fat junk. I believe that all the chemicals they put into those foods wreak havoc on our systems. The only exception is the Protein shake, which I need sometimes to meet my Protein goal. I am hoping to cut them out as soon as I can eat enough to get my nutrition from real food.< /p>

I have started to work out in the gym today ( on top of my daily walking) to see if I can avoid 4-week stall. I will keep you posted :) I have lost over 48 pounds (15 post op).

Tweak the little things you know are not right, and you will be back on track. As someone said here before, you are not going to be the only person in the world who this doesn't work for!

It's not that you should have no sugar, but it's best if your sugar comes from real food like fruit & veg. Even then you want to keep it low.