Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 months out and every time I try to eat meat it feels like I just can't eat more than a bite or two. Meat feels so heavy to me, to even think about eating it turns me off. Before surgery I loved meat. How do I get over this. Its hard to get my Protein in when I can't stand the thought of swallowing meat.

I have been eating little bits since about 4 weeks out. tuna with mayo is OK as long as its the cheap kind (chicken of the sea in water) the more expensive (albacore) gets stuck. I can't eat even a couple bites of it.

meat is the hardest thing for me to digest, even now. Try cooking g in some kind of sauce to soften and keep moist. Like chicken Marsala or maybe beef in a stew. Maybe if you marinate it first. I still only eat small amounts at a time. Even pork tenderloin marinated is okay. Hope this helps.

I think it is very common to have trouble eating meat, especially in the first few months post op. But the good news is that this gets better for most people and you don't need to eat massive amounts at a sitting. Meat is so high in Protein that 2-3 ounces can be enough. Although it was irksome in the beginning, I now like the fact that meat fills me up so quickly. I also find that I stay full longer with denser meats than with those with more Water.< /p>

My nutritionist explained to me that some of us, especially with bypass, might not have enough stomach enzymes to break down meat for a while. When I ate meat, it felt like I'd swallowed a rock! For weeks, it just came right back up. No tolerance and no desire to eat tuna or things like that. So, I'd take a week or so off from trying, then try again with a very small amount - like no more than an ounce - and then only with other food. That seems to help. Eventually our pouches and small intestines will make more of the enzymes needed, but until then, I will just limit meat eating. My vegan daughter is happy about that!

IT's a lot easier to eat meats if you crock pot them or make stew. I needed them to be very wet or I just couldn't get them down. I found around 9 months it got easier. I do fill up on meat much quicker than any other food. Like half a boneless rib is all I can get down. Ham is easy though.

I use the slow cooker. chicken thighs are the best. There are countless recipes and I place cooked portions in baggies and freeze. I can defrost when I need it. I also like chilli with black eyed peas. I find the red bean skins too thick to chew. I grind my own beef because I found the store brought ground beef had too many chunks (cartilage and tendons) I needed to spit out. I use the food processor or the grinder attachment on my KitchenAid mixer. You can also have your meat department grind the beef piece you choose. Giant Supermarket does it. You can even ask them to grind it twice for a finer texture. We eat so little that the cost is less then what we used to pay prior to surgery. The chilli I make is heavy on the beef but I also add some bell peppers and celery chopped fine. Again I use the slow cooker. If you don't have a slow cooker you can use a pot on the lowest heat possible of the smallest burner and check for liquid every 1/2 hour. Anything cooked 2 hours will be so soft. Give it a try.

meats are hard to digest after surgery but they are also very important for integrating Protein into meals. I am 19 months post op on RNY and I currently get about 60 grams of Protein a day from my meals and that is because I use meats. I found that meats go down easy in chili and Soups. So I home make Soups that have about twice the content of meats than normal store bought soups.

chicken and turkey are difficult. They must be cooked for a long time in Water to soften them to the point that they readily break apart using a fork. Generally I place them in a pot of Water and add a bouillon cube and boil for an hour.

Depends on the type of meat. For example I do well with filet mignon (tenderloin) and flank steak since they tend to be softer and my doc approves of this.

Also, I like my meat medium rare and I find that when I eat medium rare meat, it feels really good on my pouch. I think when it's overcooked it's like rubber on my stomach...well more like a rock

I tried a Kobe beef patty the other day and it felt like a rock. Sigh

as you can see from the advice it is all about trial and error. Moist is key. Small bites. Chew chew chew. At 8.5 months I can eat all kinds of meat with relatively no issue. Every once in a while a dry hamburger doesn't feel so good, but that's it. I love salmon. I like good cuts of steak cooked medium that are very tender. Lobster, crab and shrimp all work for me. And lunch meat with cheese is always a good quick Protein in my day.

Based on my own experience I do better with meat that is fresh. Leftovers aren't my friend. I don't get sick, but I don't necessarily enjoy the experience. I think the reheating process zaps the moisture which does affect the consistency.

I use the Progresso light Soups as a base and add lean browned hamburger, or ground chicken. You can add any other veggies to it and simmer until you like the texture of the veggies. It is cheap, you can get soups on sale anywhere and you can freeze what you don't eat. It loads up on the Protein and it is not like you are cooking all day. I also use the clam chowder light and add another can of chopped clams , that adds to the protein content.

Best of luck, meat is a bummer for me too.

Experiment with tofu!!! It's amazing. Buy extra firm and season it to match the taste of almost anything.

Also I tried sushimi at one month, yummy and went down great!!!!