Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3.5 months post op.... what's been tough for you?

For me it's the concept that I will end up eating less than my 5 year old when I go out go dinner with friends and family. The confused dinner guests and wonderment. It's serious work.

2nd complaint, hair loss. I am dropping hair like it's going out of style.

Insight? Suggestions?

Sorry. I've had no problems. No Hair loss that I can see. And no awkwardness with food. Then again, I'm a vegetarian with multiple food allergies so everyone already thinks I eat weird.

Water! Pain Water is not my friend but I'm kicking his butt anyway! Still the hardest thing to get down! That's about it....

I agree with Elode, Water has been impossible. I am not kicking water's but. I have to drink warm herbal teas.

Oh I get At least 3 cups of fluids from Decaf teas too!

Thankfully, no trouble with Water.

hair Loss: Omega 3 fatty acids, at least 60 grams of protein/ day, Vitamin B complex.

You might also have blood work done to check for anemia and B12 deficiency - due to the PPIs, post gastric surgery production of intrinsic factor can be a problem and that causes poor absorption of B12 from the diet. If you're deficient in B12, just taking a B complex won't do the trick.. either IM or sublingual supplementation daily is going to be part of your health maintenance.

My 8 year old loves my new tiny intake - I plan to order my meal for him and he gets to pick his meal off the grown up menu. This is not much different from our pre surgery ritual, where he would eat his food and I would get two salads - one for him, and a baked potato that we would split.

Oh yeah - and to avoid issues with your plumbing, you might consider getting one of these for your shower drain:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bathroom-drain-hair-stopper/1013708878?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bath_&adpos=1o1&creative=39230268109&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CP3QrLrt5cICFcayMgodSR0AmA

If the Omega 3 and minimum Protein don't stop the loss, you might also consider having a CMP and TSH level done - the CMP checks, among other things, your albumin level - a measure of the Protein in your blood which, if low, can indicate that your diet is still not high enough. TSH is a preliminary measure of thyroid function; if your thyroid is out of whack, hair, skin, and nails can all show it.

The toughest thing for me has been the thought of overeating. I eat anywhere from 600-1000 calories a day. My doctor says I should be at 1200 but because I have kidney disease I cannot eat a lot of Protein so it has to be more balanced. But when I hit a 1000 calories I feel like I have overate. I am so scared because I have lost 75lbs in 3 months and I am afraid that I will stop losing or ruin my pouch. My wife says I'm crazy but I don't know.

I'm almost 9 weeks post op and right now the toughest things for me would be remembering my second round of Vitamins and chews. I have no problem taking any of my stuff, it's remembering to do so. ;) I have set a timer for 2pm daily so we will see if that helps. I can't take my Vitamin to late cause then I find I taste it in the middle of the night.

I had no problem getting in all my liquids, but since our weather has gotten cold here in AZ drinking plain Water is just not cutting it. I have been drinking more hot Decaf tea though to get it and it all seems good.

I just bought one of those hand blenders (on sale JcPenneys) and have been researching various bariatric friendly Soups. I am in the full liquid stage now but can't wait to pulverize stuff in the next phase which begins next Wednesday :)

Hardest thing for me is eating slower. I live alone, so there's no one to talk to during meals. I often talk to the poodles, but since they are not very good conversationalists, they're not helping much. Oh well, I'm not really complaining. This is my only problem so far and it's totally in my control. I have been really, really lucky with the lifestyle so far.

Ellen

I don't go out to eat much. I have 4 kids at home and it's always too expensive to go out. But on the occasion i went out with family I ordered a kids meal and my sister in law looked at it and said "that's way too much food for you". And I said "yeah I know." We were both serious.

And so far with work, we have eaten more buffet style and I just get small portions or turn down the sweets.

I flavor my Water and have sonic style nugget Ice and I drink/chew it all day!!!

I will be at 3 mths 12/30 and haven't had too many issues. I started noticing minor hair loss last month. I asked my hair dresser about what could help with Hair loss due to surgery and he recommended Nioxin. It seems to help but I also noticed for me that it lessens if I'm in the 70/80 g of Protein a day. So I've just been making sure I'm 80g or more of Protein a day.

My only issue with the smaller amounts was at holiday sit down dinners where I ate off a dessert plate and they all had huge plates. I still didn't finish what I had but my husband and son love it as they just finish it for me. It was strange sitting there watch people eat enormous amounts of food and having the realization that that was me three months ago. I'm so thankful for my sleeve!

Edited by cmick14

I feel like I'm not eating enough food. I am afraid I'm grazing. I think its only because I am so active. I'm trying to eat more yogurt and low fat mozz. cheese sticks.

I also try to drink sobe life Water.

It's a stuggle.

We went to a Japense steak house the other night and the stares I got because I couldn't eat everything were priceless. The cook was offended. he asked if anything was wrong. I simply said no, everything is great.