Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abuse of wls..when it's not needed

Side note: This post doesn't come across as judgemental but moreso inquisitive and discussion worthy.

Side note: This post doesn't come across as judgemental but moreso inquisitive and discussion worthy.

@@BitterSweet, that may be how it comes across to you but I think it's pretty obvious that it comes across differently to some others.

@@imsoglad56, Indeed, very obvious from the responses. Discussions are a good thing though. Topics like this provide a lot of enlightment for many people. Happy New Years to all of you!

@@Elode, thanks! Enjoy your break from school and best wishes for continued success with weight loss. You're a great asset to this forum. =)

I've been watching The Wire so I'll just leave my favorite quote from the series here: There you go giving an eff when it's not your turn to give an eff."

I think having a lap band to get rid of 50lbs is perfectly reasonable. For some that 50 may be as hard as the 100 or so many of us have to deal with. Even if it's another type of WLS, who cares? I only have control over me. I can only worry about me. Why should I judge or care what someone else chooses to do with their body?

I think you need all the facts before you judge. I am one of those people who ONLY needed to lose 50 lbs but you know what I was OBESE. It's not always about the amount of weight in pounds. I first still had to qualify and my BMI was 31. My doctor reviews patients with a BMI of 30 and he's in the US. I still had to meet with the psychologist and the nutritionist before I was approved. I had other issues like sleep apnea and gherd and joint pain. I had done every diet and I always lost it but I always gained it back. So for me it was about finding something that would help me keep it off long term. I have always worked out 5-6 days a week I just was always hungry. I decided not to tell anyone I was having the surgery for this exact reason. "Oh you don't need it" Yes there were risks but being a yoyo dieter and taking all the pills and supplements over the years wasn't healthy and wasn't working.

~LA

Thank you!@ bittersweet.

Edited by Elode

For example I need to loose about 120lbs but I don't look it. I feel every single one of those lbs in my knees and back. So I wouldn't judge anyone bc you never know what someone is going threw or story is.

Some people have very serious comorbidities that merit surgery.

I for one have a very difficult time guessing people's weight. I think as obese or formerly obese people we are more preoccupied with looking at other people's weight because we are trying to make ourselves feel better. We want to reassure ourself that someone is bigger than we are or resent someone smaller than us because we just think about it more. It's normal human emotion, but it can affect how we feel about ourselves. I did a weight loss program with a girl who I could have sworn didn't have much of a weight problem, but who actually weight around 270. Everyone carries weight differently, and while I understand the temptation to make assumptions, it's important that we remind ourselves how hard WLS is and that most people don't undertake it lightly. My heart goes out to anyone who has struggled with weight because it's painful and sad.

I never even thought about considering WLS when I was "only" 50 pounds overweight. It took 100 pounds to get me to a place that surgery sounded like a reasonable option. Looking back, I could have saved a lot of heartache and aches and pains (and $$$ buying all those "fat" clothes) had I done it 10 years ago. Oh well.

And then what about all the other "unnessesary" surgical procedures that people utilize to help them feel better about themselves and their appearance....nose jobs, boob jobs, liposuction, face lifts, butt implants, even hair implants. Are these all cases of abusing surgery since they aren't being done for health reasons? Personally, I think you need to work on liking yourself from the inside, but hey, if it works for them, and they are willing to take the risk and spend the $$$ then I guess good for them.

K i see i pissed some off sorry i should had been more clear..the people i am referring to had a starting weight of 50lbs over..most had surgery out of the country..some docs will do anything if you pay them...i am not saying they did not struggle but i see surgery as a final resort..

Edited by Momma_D

I wonder the same thing. I'd chew off my arm to weigh 200 lbs. I can't believe insurance even covers that. Hell, I was 312 and STILL had to jump thru hoops. My bmi was over 50!!!

Momma_d, I think you just don't get it. Look at most of the success stories. Look at the ideal weight and height charts. Aren't most women shooting for about 135 to 145 as "normal" and most of all obtainable with the sleeve. If you have someone who cannot successfully lose weight for whatever reason, then why is surgery not an option. A medically proven procedure with long term results.

I think the decision is very personal. Do you look at obese people and say "I found something that changed my life, so I recommend it to you because you deserve to not be obese." But you say to an overweight person, "you just aren't trying hard enough".

Are you kidding me? At 6 months out I look at society as a whole and think how sad that food rules and ruins so many lives. I think, why doesn't everyone who needs this surgery get it. It's so life changing. Doesn't everyone deserve to be as healthy as they can both mentally and physically. I think this shouldn't be so hard to get through insurance and I say the people who have gone outside the U.S. Did not do so carelessly. They made a major decision that effects the rest of their life.

I personally commend all who consider, commit and continue in this journey that happens to include a WLS tool. No matter where you started . . . Getting to a healthy you is a win every time.