Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abuse of wls..when it's not needed

I belong to several weight loss groups on Facebook and other types of media. I have noticed that there are several people that just need to lose a few pounds and are already slim. They are having weight loss surgery to lose may be 50 pounds or so. They already look like they are at a good weight. Do you feel that some of these people are having weight loss surgery and they really do not need it they are just thinking this is an easy way out. What do you think about the doctors that are doing this?

Where are they going to get it done? It is my understanding that 50 extra pounds does not a good surgery candidate make. Add to this the issue of the patient only being say 30 lbs overweight and you have trouble on your hands.

My first thoughts are that the doctors who agree to do this are unethical. Doesn't the oath say have doctors promise to first, do no harm?!

Second the patients sound like they really need counseling help.

Admittedly, for years I snubbed WLS. I sounded like everyone else who doesn't understand the procedure and philosophy of WLS. I thought it was an easy way out, unnecessary, too much if a health risk, etc. I know better than that now so it bugs the hell out of me when folks look down on it or attempt to abuse WLS.

The other thing is is the risk of creating a situation where more regs are put into place to control WLS. That can really affect folks who would benefit from the procedure.

SMH. What a shame.

Fifty pounds is not a lot of weight to lose when compared to 150 lbs, but it's still a lot. If I had known when I was only 50 lbs overweight that I needed intervention because I could not lose weight AND maintain it, the choice of WLS would have spared my body a lot of damage. Internal damage to my heart, arteries, and kidneys; external to my joints that are forced to carry around a massive amount of excess weight; and emotional damage to my mind.

I think some people are just wiser and nip it in the bud. Others like me, fight a good fight and still go down swinging in full denial thinking maybe just one more diet will work. And yes, there are probably a handful of folks who have other motives but that type of mentality probably permeates many other areas of their lives as well.

Edited by BitterSweet*

Honestly I kind of see it as who am I to judge. I don't know the trials they've been through and there was a doctor somewhere willing to endure the risks of performing this surgery. I've heard through this entire process that I don't really need surgery. Even my therapist and dietician didn't believe me when I told them my weight until they I got on the scale. Then was quickly followed by a "you carry your weight very well". Gee thanks! I think most people in their right mind don't directly go to the route of surgery, such a life altering thing, but have tried and failed at things prior. Additionally, many people have other co-morbidities, that will only become more significant if they are unable to get their weight under control. 50 pounds may not seem like much to lose to somebody who has 200lbs to lose but 50lbs is significant and you don't know how they necessarily carry it either it may appear 50 but really be 75 or so.

As with any system, people who abuse it make it harder for those who really need it.

I just asked some of these questions yesterday... my sister's ex had WLS right after they broke up. I thought the ex must have paid cash for it, because they were MAYBE 50 pounds overweight and had no comorbidities. My sister said insurance paid for it.

How that actually happened baffles me.

Ugh...Okay....how do you know someone else's Before, During and After WLS journey? There are some of us on here and I'm sure on other boards who chose to change their lifestyle BEFORE weight loss surgery.

I had to attend a seminar and 3 nutrition meetings with a nutritionist. I learned all kinds of facts and tidbits about being obese that stuck with me. So much so that I made a deal with myself....If I could make some changes now...I could get this surgery. I had my surgery on 12/16/14 after losing 50+ lbs on my own....at a bmi of 32.

So I guess I'm one of those "people" who took advantage of WLS. H*** yes, sure did. You are not aware of my struggle with obesity since I was a kid. You are not aware of any part of my journey. But I am. i will lose the 42 lbs I have to reach goal and I will not gain it back.

Guess I need to remind some...Weight Loss Surgery is a TOOL. And please remember....Everyone is on their own journey...RESPECT them by giving the benefit of doubt.

I lost 40 lbs before surgery and the intake nurse at the hospital actually tried to talk me out of having the surgery saying I didn't have that much to lose. I literally wanted to hit her. She had no idea of what I had already gone through in my life of weight loss struggles. I had 70 more pounds to lose and wanted it to stay off forever. I was approved for surgery by the surgeon and by my provincial health care plan, so really it was no ones business but my own. And that's exactly what I told the nosy nurse in January of 2014.

I am now 11 months post op and am at 145lbs. 5 lbs from my goal. I wear size 5/6 jeans and can share clothes with my 16yo daughter. As opposed to the size 24 pants I wore previously.

So really, just because we are lightweights, doesn't mean we don't matter or that we don't "deserve" surgery. We have our own struggles and weight related health problems. ( we also have feelings too)

I would agree that you cannot judge without knowing the whole story. I lost 150 pounds on my own before surgery. Many thought I should stop there and be happy with what I had done. The surgery was to help me finish strong and keep the weight off. What a person and their health care providers decide is right for them is really between them and is nobody elses business.

50 pounds is not a tremendous amount of weight BUT try carrying around 50 lbs for a day....it's heavy and it's hard on your body. I don't know how they would be getting approved by insurance but if it's out of pocket then to each their own. There is a risk in any surgery, boobs, lips, liposuction , butt ect but If you want it and your willing to pay it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. A Lot of us only had 50 lbs extra and then it grew...I wish I had had it done at 50 lbs instead of 100 it would have saved me some misery.

I was one of those people who lost a significant amount of weight pre-surgery. I would have wanted to blast anyone who questioned my right to pursue WLS at my new weight. I would not like to be judged by anyone who does not have all of the facts.

What do I think of the doctors who are doing this? I think they are in a heck of a lot better position to judge their patients needs than you are. I think as fat people we get judged enough for being fat and we darn sure don't need to be judged by you for not being fat enough.

Its the same as saying just eat better...work out more..etc. Maybe they have tried all of that and weight yo-yos like the rest of us here.. Maybe its creeping up along with other health issues. Unless we know them and are trained as medical professionals we have no right to judge. After all.... Look how many times people looked at us and said since you arent 500lbs u shouldnt get surgery.. just eat better or eat less. Not fair at all.

That's right!! If you don't have all of the facts, watch what you say about others " abusing WLS" pleeeeaaassee! Give me a break! You don't know my story, even though I'm only 60 lbs over weight doesn't mean I'm not sick. I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, asthma, joint pain in ankles( from carrying that extra 60 lbs) and plain and simple my 5'00 ft frame just can't handle this extra weight! So mind your own business and know your facts before making a broad spectrum of a statement trying to get a riot started, cause you just might not like it!

"Abuse of WLS" ... the phrase even makes me laugh.

Oh, geez.

I think she's just asking opinions about a subject she's been seeing. It's ok to wonder about things, it's ok to have a question and ask what others Think. I'm sure there are people out there that may not have actually needed the surgery but have the money and means to leave the country to Have it done out of vanity...I'm also sure there are surgeons in the world that are all about the money and could give a rats butt wether it's in the best interest of the patient or not. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not sure who these people are she's actually referring to but It's a question of interest and I don't think she's asking to piss anyone off or cause a "riot".

Edited by Elode