Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abuse of wls..when it's not needed

Ok, ..."look like they are at a good weight". Really? I posted about this very issue before. I had spoken to my surgeon's secretary several times by phone as we were working on getting my file ready for insurance approval. She had my medical iinformation...age, weight, height,BMI 40 plus, etc, but had never meet me in person as my surgeon sees patients in a separate medical faciluty from her office. After all the required testing some results were slow getting to the office. Wanting to move my case along, I was pro active and stated I would go to the different doctors, pick up results and walk them into the office. I got there and the secretary came out to greet me. She shockingly exclaimed " O my god. You are not that big. You don't need surgery. Why are you doing this?" No matter what I looked like, didn't my medical file say I was morbidly obese? I smiled politely, handed over the papers and left. If this surgery was available when I was "only " 30 pounds overweight, I would of worked three jobs and taken out a second mortgage to pay for it. Maybe then I wouldn't of gotten to 80 pounds overweight.

Once again i was asking opinions ..i didn't not wish to get everyone on the defensive..these days people look for a quick Fix and i personally know people who never dieted a day in their lives bit opted for weight loss surgery.. it steamed Me since i used it as a last resort... my doctor had turned people like this away only to find they went elsewhere,usually Mexico..many gained weight back since they possessed no dieting skills...

I think 50 lbs if you haven't tried diet and exercise is a little low - but then again, if you're 4'11, that's like me needing to lose 100. If you have diabetes or if early heart attacks run in your family, that's another reason to get the surgery sooner rather than later..

But I definitely think, based on the research as to the rate of weight regain even after you do it on your own, if you lost more than 5% of your body weight and you still have 50+ pounds to go, or even 30+ lbs to go, it would be worth it to have the surgery simply to avoid the regain. Perhaps with a bigger sleeve, and probably not so much malabsorption... but I think that what we're learning about weight and the body's desire to put it back on, especially in some people - combined with the vast range of wls and what we're learning about how to tweak it, has taught us that it is an individual decision for a person to make with their doctor and not really someone else's place to judge unless you're going to trudge through their records and the current research available about the success of keeping it off... because losing isn't the only reason we had surgery.

Had the sleeve been available after I had my kids, I'd have had it at 50 lbs over weight - especially knowing what I know now.

50lbs is different for shorter people. BMI is the key indicator that insurance companies use, not weight. You can not always tell how much someone weighs. some people carry weight in an evenly distributed way and dress to appear slimmer.

Once again i was asking opinions ..i didn't not wish to get everyone on the defensive..these days people look for a quick Fix and i personally know people who never dieted a day in their lives bit opted for weight loss surgery.. it steamed Me since i used it as a last resort... my doctor had turned people like this away only to find they went elsewhere,usually Mexico..many gained weight back since they possessed no dieting skills...

And once again, your comment above reveals that you are opposed to "quick fixes" and how people don't deserve access to WLS if they've "never dieted a day in their lives" and that you're "steamed" because WLS is only deserved by people who "used it as a last resort."

You are entitled to your perspective and opinions. But, once again, I don't share your perspective OR your opinions.

For one thing, I don't think that only those who have suffered as much or more than you (or me) should be allowed to have a medical procedure that can dramatically improve their life's trajectory.

And when you consider that many overweight and obese people who are not morbidly obese and aren't as old as me (69) haven't yet developed any comorbidities (although some of them have), it should be clear that those folks have much lower risks for surgical and post-surgical complications. So there's another potential objection laid to rest.

And even if you really do know "many" people who didn't meet your standards for WLS who regained their weight, then they're simply among the 50% of all WLS patients who regain their weight. Hopefully, you and I and those I've gotten to know on these boards who didn't meet your standards for WLS will be in the other 50%.

I doubt you will change your mind about any of this. But I do thank you for the thread, because it's given me a chance to examine more deeply what I think about WLS and its validity as a medical procedure and as a deeply personal choice.

So I'll ask you. Why do you care about what someone else is doing? It's not your health, it's not coming out of your pocket.

WLS is no quick fix that I know of. Why in the world would it "steam you" if someone utilizes a tool to recapture good health? Personally, I am *HAPPY* for those who do this before they get as fat as I did. It steams ME that I waited so damn long.

As for people who gain weight back? Not your problem. I know people who do Atkins, WWs, South Beach, Bypass, Sleeve, Paleo, etc. who gained it back, too. Some started really fat, some started not so fat, some started (IMO) thin. It's still not my concern and certainly none of my business.

Hi all! I was banded on 4/16/03 by Dr Ortiz. I have lost 55 pounds so far and am thrilled with it all. I just got my first fill 10 days ago, and I am losing once again.

I am so happy that I made this decision. It hasn't been that hard, at least so far. I do feel that those 55 pounds are gone for good, not like the other times that I have lost weight.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions!!

Why do people care about anything others do ? I worry about everyone. its a fault of mine.. also so many people got wls at my daughter's job that they canceled the company insurance... it was insane how many people got the surgery because so and so got it.. most were not prepared and have lost little weight and are miserable with their decision... i am not saying people who need to lose 50 lbs don't need or deserve the surgery but how many people use it as a quick fix...this is a life change and not to be taken lightly... so many jump in without consideration in my area.. off the top of my head i know personally 14 people that had the surgery..of those 8 did it because others did and eat whatever whenever with no regards for their plan.. They do not take the surgery seriously... it requires discipline and dedication..if people see this as a quick fix or a easy way out they will fail..i applaud those who take it seriously and fear for those who did this on a whim..

So, stop caring about these people who, never dieted a day in their lives, didn't use WLS as a last resort, went to Mexico, and gained it all back. It steams you about personal choices people make for themselves? Examine that issue about yourself. While none of the about applies to me, I wish everyone who have chosen this path the best. How they arrived at the decision is elementary to me, and none of my business. Stop judging.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

@Momma_D. You worry about everyone, it's a fault of yours? Really, so with all that worrying, because it's a big universe out there, when do you have time to "worry about about you and yours"? With only 24 hrs in a day how do you find the tine to worry about everyone? I don't see this as worry at all. You are judging. Worry about that fault. I'm done.

Why do people care about anything others do ? I worry about everyone. its a fault of mine.. also so many people got wls at my daughter's job that they canceled the company insurance... it was insane how many people got the surgery because so and so got it.. most were not prepared and have lost little weight and are miserable with their decision... i am not saying people who need to lose 50 lbs don't need or deserve the surgery but how many people use it as a quick fix...this is a life change and not to be taken lightly... so many jump in without consideration in my area.. off the top of my head i know personally 14 people that had the surgery..of those 8 did it because others did and eat whatever whenever with no regards for their plan.. They do not take the surgery seriously... it requires discipline and dedication..if people see this as a quick fix or a easy way out they will fail..i applaud those who take it seriously and fear for those who did this on a whim..

I think that people are responding negatively to your posts (myself included) because we all struggle so much with feeling like other people are judging our decision to have WLS that we don't want to come on BariatricPal and see that happening here. When you sort of casually throw out numbers of people you know who have had surgery and then lump them together are failures or as not taking WLS seriously, it's sort of alarming. Like others have mentioned, I think this (i.e. at what point is WLS a good option vs. conservative approaches) is a really interesting topic and is something worth discussing, but I think there is a better way to frame this that doesn't come across as judgmental. I think that goes both ways and that you deserve to be respected even when you have feelings that others don't agree with. Maybe we can all learn from this thread.

@@Momma_D, use your worrisome nature for other causes. Homeless people; rape crisis centers; the AIDS crisis in Sub-Saharan Africa; tutor children after school; volunteer in your community; women's shelter......you get the point.

Having this much concern about obese people on your daughter's job is just doing the most. Focus all of that energy into more worthwhile causes; this isn't one of them.

People are going to be people no matter what you do or say. There will always be people who abuse and misuse things in this world. I saw someone double dipping at work the other day. Didn't phase me in the least. I also saw a dear friend and coworker get fired for diverting drugs at work. There's nothing I can do about the sh!tt% decisions other people make, even if it makes things harder on me or other folks.

Let people live their lives and make their own decisions. You never know what path other people have walked, and those who you feel have abused WLS have to deal with the repercussions, not you. Not you. Let this go and concentrate on restoring your own health and wellness.

Forget the hypothetical, here is my situation.

I’m 43, and 5’5” and my highest weight was 190, which was my pre-op diet weight in June 2014.

I was thin as a child, and my weight has gone up and down, and up and down, since my 20’s.

I have ACA insurance, so coverage was not available no matter how much weight was involved or which procedure.

I decided the weight was just getting higher and higher and my doctor said my cholesterol and triglycerides were too high. I have dieted every type of diet, some with great success for a while and other not. I went to a group that advertised Lap Band locally.

I was told that if I had a hiatal hernia that insurance would pay for some, and I would have to pay out of pocket for the rest. I told them that I probably didn’t have a hernia, because I did not have reflux, pain, or anything like that.

I left doing more research and I chose another doctor to go see for the Band. I met with the surgeon on the first visit and I told him I wanted the band. I started my process and began meeting with the nutritionist, having the psych exam, etc.

I was told the same thing about the hernia and I was scheduled for the EDG one week before surgery. I was given two out of pocket costs depending on the outcome.

In the meantime I went to my OB, PCP, and Psychiatrist. All three were 100% on board. My psychiatrist was concerned that with the band, the size of the stomach opening was altered to smaller than a pencil width. I take three medications daily for MDD and she wanted to make sure I could continue to take my meds. She asked why I did not consider sleeve because the opening was not changed, and I told her that I thought I was only a candidate for Band. She said she had another patient about my size that did sleeve very successfully.

So, I went home and really did some research a comparing band to sleeve. I was also concerned about the band slip and erosion, and possible additional surgery for a revision.

I called the surgeon’s office and asked them to talk with the doctor and see if I could have the sleeve instead of the band. I told them my concern about the medication and band failure. They called back and said I could switch to sleeve.

I did the EDG and when I woke up they showed me images of the procedure and said: You do have a hernia and quite a few ulcers on your stomach. Many of those will be removed during the sleeve procedure, and the rest should heal with the PCP. I was shocked. I had no idea and no symptoms.

One week later, and about 2 months into the entire process, I was sleeved. Was this my last resort, no. I could have tried dieting and failing again and again until I gained more and more weight.

This was my decision, and I made it after doing enough research to make an informed, educated, and more importantly, right decision for myself and my body.

Believe me, if you read my other posts, you will know that there were so many other reasons for my decision. I wanted to leave those out of here though.

If blanket statements are going to be made, then go ahead, judge me. I’m the exact subject of this post, but I stand behind my decision, and my surgeon, and everything about the sleeve. I am willing to be anyone’s friend in this journey, no matter where either of us started. It’s the common goal we all should share.

I feel like if someone wants to take the risk and put their body through surgery to lose even 20lbs, then so be it. It's their choice. I personally think that Megan Fox didn't need plastic surgery on her already beautiful face and that she looked better before, but again, not my face so it's not my choice.

What I find to be equally judgmental is when people who have had surgery post that they're struggling and then others ask how they managed to pass the psych eval to even have surgery. None of us would need surgery if we weren't screwed up in the head about food to begin with. Makes me afraid to admit that I just ate 5 Hershey Kisses, I don't want anyone telling me I didn't deserve the surgery.

I think your just reaching now. If your daughter'so job canceled the insurance they either had a piece of crap plan or decided it was cheaper to pay the fine and encourage the employees to purchase insurance under the Affordable Healthcare Act instead. People have WLS for a variety of reasons. Even those who are 50lbs overweight. It's simply none of your business. It could be a young woman with PCOS, it could be someone who is 4'11". Coulda, woulda , shoulda. It's simply not our place to judge.

Edited by BLERDgirl