Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!

First of all, let me start by congratulating you all on your willingness to share your experiences with everyone. My story is a long one but I will try my best to summarize it.

I am 26 years old, weighing in at 130 kg. I am the heaviest that I have ever been. My knees are beginning to hurt, attempting any form of mild streneous exercise results in injury and I am pretty sure I am at risk for diseases such as cholesterol and diabetes (it runs in my family).

Add the fact that I am now starting to shop at Big & Tall stores and have to start avoiding certain chairs and seats (because they don't fit)

Seven years ago I lost a substanital amount of weight, about 35kgs, kept it off for a about a year and a half only to put it back on and then some. Ever since then weightloss has been a constant struggle. That is why I've been considering lapband.

Many people close to me and younger than me have had gastric sleeve surgery. I have been researching lapband for four years, even going as a as to schedule a consultation with two different surgeons, so that I can have all my questions answered without the usual "he said/she said."

I realize after research that everyone is different. I need that "push" in anyway possible.

I believe the lapband is for me. Logically, I should get the surgery. However, there seems to be something that keeps holding me back. It's not fear and its not any financial problems (since I'm self paid). I'm not quite sure what it is.

Before deciding on surgery, I've decided to see a therapist, in order to tackle my issues with food (apparently I have a lot of them) and the therapist in turn decided to refer me to a hypnotherapist as well.

Recently, the idea of lapband started creeping up again, and here I am online trolling through the different forums and websites researching the lapband.

I think I'm sticking with theraphy and hypnotheraphy before getting the surgery. I feel like I want to exhaust all my options before I decide to use the lapband.

I know the band is not a magic wand. I know its a tool that will aid me in losing my weight and living my life to the fullest.

What do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions that might be useful?

Edited by maskedbanded

We all had reasons for choosing the WLS that we had. I chose the lapband because it is not invasive. My recovery was easy and I have had no complications. As a 66 year old woman I did not want to face a major surgery such as sleeve or bypass. Both are successful but I did not want the loss of part of my stomach or re-routing my intestines . There are drawbacks to every surgery. The lapband is not for sissies. If you are not ready to change your outlook or addiction to food it may not be for you. I can only tell you my experience. First of all you must follow up with your Surgeon and Staff, including the nutritionist. You also should join a support group. There are so many reasons why people are obese and part of it is mental. Make sure you are mentally healthy enough to undergo the loss of your love affair with food. I still can eat what I want, however it's easier to avoid temptation and to overeat. My band tells me when I have had enough to eat and I follow my Doctors orders.. No carbonation, no straws, No drinking with meals. Basically I eat Protein, veg's and some fruit. I try to stay away from potatoes, bread or Pasta.. I can eat steak, chicken, pork, all within reason. I will tell you I have not been this healthy or happy in 25 years so weigh your options and Best of Luck on your decision.

It sounds like fear of the unknown is part of your issue. I was myself terrified of having to give up all the comfort that food provided. The only reason I went ahead with the lapband was because I was heading towards life in a wheelchair and I couldn't work if I was that disabled. I needed to keep my job so I had no choice.

Let me asssure you that you will feel so much better once the excess weight is off. So much so in fact, that you will not miss the food as much as you think you will. Stay with the therapy (I'm also in therapy) and work on your issues. But don't let fear rule you.

My life is 1,000 percent better than it was two years ago. There are times I wish I could pig out...but then I get up and walk around. Every step I take, I say a thank you that I can walk again and that helps me to deal with everything else.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I was scared of doing more damage than I already had being over weight. In other words, I was worried surgery would go wrong and I'd be in even worse shape. But, then I had to remember that if a doctor told me to have surgery for another type of disease, I would do it no questions asked. Obesity is very much a disease. I was very happy with my decision and don't regret it for a second.

LapBand gave me my life back. Two thirds of my excess weight is gone and I can walk and climb stairs with the best of them. Even more importantly, my confidence is back and determination to have my best life is back. No regrets.

My sense is you are young and can have a healthy life with changes. Don't know which change you'll pick. lapband changed my life.

Helped me not feel like I was failing in that one area of life

Enjoying a "normal" life.

Whatever that is to each of us

good luck!

I read your story (twice), you've done your homework well, you're seeing a therapist, so I can't figure out what's holding you back from surgery. I realize everyone gets to their decision at their own time, but you're still hesitant ? Your weight struggle is making your life more difficult, not easier. Here's a chance to live the happy, healthy life you deserve. By utter chance, the commercial for " My 600 lb life " just came on as Im writing this. food for thought. Getting banded was tge smartest

Sorry, I meant to say getting banded was the smartest thing I could of done for myself. Im happy and healthy for 3 yrs now, it was by far one of the best Christmas presents ever ! My best to you, and Merry Christmas !!

Hi there, I love my band and would do it all over again. Like others I was nervous about giving up my crutch. Turns out I didn't really have to give anything up -- I just have much smaller amounts of food at appropriate intervals. The band allows me to do that. I make healthy choices. It was a very powerful thing for me to choose myself and my healthy future -- to be willing. To be worthy. You deserve all good things. You deserve health and happiness. I am 53 and had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before. It was a piece of cake. And getting the appetite monster off my back changed my life so much -- it's like my brain has been rewired. Good luck to you. I know we are going to be reading your success story.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies, it made me feel supported! Special thanks to @@kayzoog, stumbling upon your blog is one of the major factors that helped encourage me to seriously consider surgery. Thank you for sharing your successful journey with us, it helped me (and I'm sure many others) in knowing that it is possible to live a happy and health life with the band. I wish you nothing but health and happiness. I also appreciate this website, it's weird how we can create deep connections and friendships with people we've never met.

Thank you everyone for everything x

Edited by maskedbanded

Weight loss surgery was one of my best decisions. However, it is important to make sure that you choose the best surgery for your specific situation. I chose the band because I knew that the band would make it difficult to eat bread, Pasta, and rice (my weaknesses). However, I am two years out and my band still requires almost monthly maintenance via doctor visits for fills. I had a slip after 15 months, and it later required revision surgery to reposition the band. Despite the maintenace and slip, I still love my lap band and chose to keep it. I have lost over 80 pounds (93 pounds down at my lowest), and I know that the lap band was the right decision for me. However, I know lots of people who have had their band slip, and they have chosen to revise to the sleeve. It seems like sleeved people lose weight quickly, but I am personally fearful of having staples inside me. Good luck with your decision.