Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my doctor yesterday for my follow up appointment. All my lab work came back good, blood pressure was still high as normal 150/90. My doctor completed my medical clearance letter, she has cleared me for gastric sleeve surgery. I am kind of concern about whether my insurance BCBS PPO is going to approve me being that my BMI is 38.6 and I only have one co-mobility (hypertension). Have anyone else been approved by their insurance company with a BMI less than 40 and having only one co-mobility? Please share your thoughts on this with me. I am so nervous now; have I went through all of this for nothing.

Well in a round about way...I have BCBS Fed and my requirements where to have a BMI of 40 documented for 2 years. I didn't have a BMI of 40 in fact my BMI's that were documented were 32-35 ish I did however have Exactly 40 at my first weigh in with my surgeon after gaining 5 lbs to qualify. The insurance companies are weird little creatures. I worried myself sick that that would be just the ticket they needed to deny me but I was approved 1st time around so it's really hard to say. I also had no comorbidities. Try not to stress too much.@@Toodie1974

Thank you Elode.....I pray everything will go as well as it did with you....approval on the 1st time....how long from your paperwork being submitted to the approval

I went to my doctor yesterday for my follow up appointment. All my lab work came back good, blood pressure was still high as normal 150/90. My doctor completed my medical clearance letter, she has cleared me for gastric sleeve surgery. I am kind of concern about whether my insurance BCBS PPO is going to approve me being that my BMI is 38.6 and I only have one co-mobility (hypertension). Have anyone else been approved by their insurance company with a BMI less than 40 and having only one co-mobility? Please share your thoughts on this with me. I am so nervous now; have I went through all of this for nothing.

Hey I have BCBS. They will approve you if your BMI is at least 35 and you have at least one underlying medical issue (high blood pressure, diabetes etc.) or if your bmi is just morbidly obese with no medical issues they will. BCBS is legit. Their the best insurance anyway could ask for.

I hope so....my doctor put on my clearance letter that I am a 40 years old African America female who suffers from essential hypertension and obesity. I am praying this will be enough.