Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So sad about Hair Loss

@@FairySleeve I wear a topper too - I had severe Hair loss before surgery, and surgery gave me the kick in the butt I needed to do something more serious than Toppik and DermMatch. I love my topper - never going back!

When repeated Hair loss occurs, the likelyhood of it returning fully is next to impossible. After my fourth episode over 12 years, I now use Rogaine, and it will be for life. Even with Rogaine, my hair never fully came back in.

i take 2500 mcg of Biotin religiously every single day to prayerfully prevent this. my hair is loc'ed and i will be MORTIFIED if i lose a single strand. all of my family and friends who have been sleeved retained their hair...i pray i'm one of them.

however, i AM happy that this won't last forever if i do lose hair...it does eventually begin to grow back in.

I used to have the thick long hair too and people always commented about how thick and pretty it was. It was my crowning glory to be sure so when it started falling out I had a very difficult time. It is now very thin and fine...so not me. I added olive oil and red meat to my diet and the Hair loss stopped but it hasn't made it any thicker yet. Of course it has slowed the weight loss but i'm okay with slow losing as long as I have hair. I use the product Fathead on my hair to make it appear thicker and it lasts for a couple of days so it isn't too terribly bad but I do miss my thick luscious locks. Ah well, at least now I can find clothes that fit.

This thread is frightening..lol. I have always had thinner hair that looks full because it's naturally curly. I try to ignore it - have done the Toppix, it works ok if you get the color to match right. (I order two different shads and mix them together). However - over the weekend I got out my hand mirror so I could assess the state of my hair and OMG, it's sooo thin on top and down the back a bit. A few weeks ago I ordered a couple of wigs from QVC - not sure what I was thinking, should have know better. They were hysterical looking and are going back.

When you say a "topper" what does that mean? It's really all I need is something that only covers the top of my head and then down a bit all around and then the rest of my hair could take over, so to speak. What kind of injections were done? Just trying to prepare ahead of time as I'm still pre-op. Taking Biotin (10,000) and using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner.

I know I shouldnt be so vain but my hair I don't want to lose.... I think the fact ice heard all these stories makes me want to try my hardest to lose the 40 kilos I need to by maybe taking away some of the tips and tricks used after you have a bypass ie eating slow, drinking lots of Water etc..... I'm scared as hell about losing my hair, teeth, constant Vitamin checks... I know I sound ungrateful or whatever but I think I would never forgive myself if I didn't Seriouzly try and continue on my shakes etc and careful eating..... Excess skin doesn't bother me... But I'm scared of having this op done now :(

@@JALUVIC it sounds like a topper might be what you need. It's kind of like a toupee for women. You can either get one that clips in to your hair or one that is adhered to your scalp using adhesive ("bonded topper"). Some people need to go to a specialty salon, especially for bonding, but many people just order the clip in kind and take care of the styling themselves. I go to a salon for mine. If you go to a specialty salon, they typically create a topper to match your hair pretty much perfectly, and install and style it. Then you go back every 4-6 weeks to get it re-bonded and styled. It is expensive but looks great. The cheaper route is to order something "off the shelf" and then dye your hair to match.

Here's a link to a video showing how it is applied and styled if you go the bonding route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVFNv6U5f8