Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleared to start stage 3 of diet but scared to.....

I know I am being a bit stupid, but please help me out of my mental state of stupidity.

Went to doc yesterday for 3 week post op app (got staples out!). I have down 15 pounds since surgery and 45 pound since August 1st.

I am feeling great, exercising, drinking liquids, having Protein Shakes, eating eggs and grits. I have a good understanding now of when to stop and my fullness signal.

Doc said I can start the soft food phase - have list of foods. I found some sample menus of line so I can put some things together in logical order.

However, my problem is that I am mentally afraid to start eating. I feel that I am in a good place and I am losing, and I am afraid if I eat more real food that I will stop losing and that will be it. I know if I do the math and realize that I am eating about 600 calories a day and exercising that I will lose weight. I know that stalls will come, But am I just being silly.

And maybe part of this comes with the fact that I did not get a menu plan from dr, but just a list of foods. I am not sure if I should have 3 meals with a morning and afternoon snack - if I need that.

What I am doing now is making a huge Protein shake - seriously like 50 g, and drinking it over a period of 3 -4 hours. Drinking liquids the rest of the day and have like half a boiled egg in the afternoon and the rest in the early evening. Might add cheese to that egg.

Is this wrong? What do I do?

I was told three meals and one or two Snacks, and that they should total 1,000-1,200 calories. 300 per meal 100 per snack. Although I find I'm eating a little less for meals than that,especially Breakfast. Breakfast is generally 100 calorie whole wheat English muffin with cheese or almond/peanut butter, prunes and for me coffee. lunch is a Protein, fruit and veg, supper is protein,veg,maybe a starch.Then I generally have a yogurt for a snack or a fruit. Hard boiled eggs for protein too. Sometimes, crackers or wheat for thins for a snack.

You are not really eating enough calories to sustain an exercise program. Your body has been without solid food for over a month, now. Be aware that it is time for you to anticipate that "dreaded third week stall" that we talk about here on the forum, so don't freak out about it. If you stay with the formula of getting your Proteins first you will do alright.

At the soft food stage you could even have very tender meat that has been broken up a bit in the blender, cheese, cooked veggies mashed up, some of us were even eating refried Beans at that point. Your new stomach is the boss of you now, so you may as well give it a name and listen to what it is trying to tell you. This whole process is about developing a sense of self-preservation through outstanding nutrition and new habits.

Just like when introducing junior foods to a toddler, you don't give the child a lot of new stuff on the same day. Take your time. But you need to eat something. You can't trade overeating for anorexia. Due to your medications, Vitamins, and ketosis, some of your old favorites may no longer taste the same.

My new stomach is Miss Tummy, and yes, at almost a year (12/23/2014) she is still the boss of me.

I know I am being a bit stupid, but please help me out of my mental state of stupidity.

Went to doc yesterday for 3 week post op app (got staples out!). I have down 15 pounds since surgery and 45 pound since August 1st.

I am feeling great, exercising, drinking liquids, having Protein shakes, eating eggs and grits. I have a good understanding now of when to stop and my fullness signal.

Doc said I can start the soft food phase - have list of foods. I found some sample menus of line so I can put some things together in logical order.

However, my problem is that I am mentally afraid to start eating. I feel that I am in a good place and I am losing, and I am afraid if I eat more real food that I will stop losing and that will be it. I know if I do the math and realize that I am eating about 600 calories a day and exercising that I will lose weight. I know that stalls will come, But am I just being silly.

And maybe part of this comes with the fact that I did not get a menu plan from dr, but just a list of foods. I am not sure if I should have 3 meals with a morning and afternoon snack - if I need that.

What I am doing now is making a huge Protein shake - seriously like 50 g, and drinking it over a period of 3 -4 hours. Drinking liquids the rest of the day and have like half a boiled egg in the afternoon and the rest in the early evening. Might add cheese to that egg.

Is this wrong? What do I do?

why don't you start adding some soft well cooked non- gassy vegetables. Yams, carrots, spinach, squash. Also fish, canned chicken, turkey. I sound so knowledgable. I'm not, just in the same boat. I started softs this week too. I want to stay with purée cause that works. But... We need to return to eating a varied diet. Before surgery I made and froze a huge mess of vegetable chicken Soup. Nearly fat free and so low calorie. I had been puréeing that. I might try it regular tonight. Debating.

A large part of this surgery is learning a new lifestyle in order to lose weight and live healthier. How are you going to learn to eat properly if you don't start adding new things to your diet? Just slowly start introducing your approved foods to get your stomach used to them. And I've got news for you...your weight loss WILL stall and it WILL slow down at some point, whether you're drinking shakes or eating real food. It's just part of the process. The idea is to not "diet", but learning to live your life with your new lifestyle. A person can't just drink shakes the rest of their lives!

Take your time reintroducing foods, you will know almost immediately what you can tolerate. I loved this phase and really started to learn to read labels and change my cooking habits. Favorite meal I learned on this forum was crab bisque and the family loved it too. I also felt my energy come back once I weaned back on regular and soft foods and started weighing 2 times a week instead of daily and never noticed a stall.

Thanks everyone!!! This makes me feel better that my behavior is somewhat normal.

Me too!

Just remember to really track your food and calories. Eventually you are going to be eating more like 800 to 1200 calories and you will still lose. Just try to make sure those calories are quality and not garbage.

I'm an avid exerciser (think over an hour of cardio 4 days a week) and I have to get in around 1200 calories on those days or the body just holds on to the weight.