Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple of Questions...

I have a couple of questions. I had my surgery on 11/12/14 and I am entering into Stage 4. I am allowed 1/4 cup of soft veggies once a day. What veggies are considered soft and what are the best kind to have? I have tried looking all over the internet and every time I find something that references I find another saying no don't do that. So I am at a lost.

Another question that has been really bothering me, I have called my Dr's office a few times on this. I get "you gotta get the Water in. Must Must Must." I truly understand that I must drink it. I don't have a problem with the taste or anything like that in general. I have tried putting frozen fruit into but not eating the fruit....that just turned into bitter water to get it down. I have tried Crystal Light and that really bothered my stomach. I have tried it warm and really cold. Nothing works and nothing seems to help me get all 64oz's down. I feel so full that I just can't put anything in and if I did I would burst. Does anyone else struggle with this? Does this ever go away? I am so frustrated right now and have been in tears over this numerous times. I am getting about 24oz of just water of course this is outside of my 2-11oz Protein Shakes. My weight loss has stalled pretty much, and of course the Dr's office says its goes back to the Protein and the water. Well, I am putting is much in as I can stomach literally, just not good enough.

I'm so scared of getting sick and puking everything back up, I already spent an extra week at the very beginning with uncontrollable vomiting in the hospital not 12 hours of being released the 1st time. I can't go back to doing that all over again. So extremely painful. All I know is I can't have this happen after all the struggles I have gone through before and after the surgery. There has gotta be an easier way to get it in. I don't want to go into my 8 week check up and been not at my 8 week goal. I'm already feeling like a failure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that if you are still doing Protein shakes, those count as some of your liquid. It may not be Water, necessarily but it is liquid. Same with some foods that have Water in them (veggies are a good example). Yes, we are supposed to do 64oz but you have to work up to it. Don't stress too much if you don't hit 64 exactly. Do the best you can with a lot of focus on it but if you only get to 50 oz. that's still really good!

I can't get in 64 oz still and it's been almost a year since my surgery. But I still plug away every day trying to do that. First thing in the morning, I fill up my water bottle with 32 oz. of water (that's all it holds) and drink it all day at work. Then, when I go home, I fill up another 32 oz bottle of water. I don't usually finish either one but I keep trying and drink as much as I can. My problem is that I have to pee all the time even when I don't drink that water--pretty much every 30 minutes to an hour. And then when I am drinking all this water, it can be even more. But I think I'm an edge case in that regard. I have to stop drinking my water at least an hour before I drive home from work or I would never make the trip without stopping since I have about an hour commute home.

I had my surgery on 11/11/4 and I am not getting enough Water either. I just feel too full when I try to drink much more than 24 oz. I feel like I am going to pop. I had to get a sippy cup to drink out of because if I drink out of a cup or a bottled Water, I drink to fast and I feel like it will come back up. My new stomach does not like crystal light either or any of the sugar free drink mixes. I know I should be getting more but I figured that it would come with time. I was losing two pounds a day but for the past 14 days, I haven't lost anything at all.

At 4 weeks, I was allowed full foods, but almost everything still caused major stomach upset. So, I was eating the only thing that set well with Frankensleeve - Cream of Mushroom Soup. And I just sipped Water all day, as much as I could. I never worried about reaching my Water and Protein goals. As long as I felt okay, I wasn't concerned.

My doctor told me I could expect to experience some "mild discomfort" after surgery. When he FINALLY came to visit me - and he was 6 hours late for our meeting, I told him that his definition of "mild discomfort" and mine were worlds apart! :P

So I don't trust his word too much and call B.S. on what he said were mandatory food and water intake daily. I increased my daily intake as I could hold more and tolerate more, not before. Everyone is going to have a different surgical experience and I say use the water and food intake amounts as a goal to shoot for as your sleeve heals. If it becomes a health issue, then I'd be concerned.

From everything I have read and understand it is 48 to 64 total oz. of fluids per day as the first responder stated. Your Proteins drinks should be counting toward this and any other liquids. I have yet to get to 64. I am darn lucky if I get to 50 in a day with my Protein Shakes and Water. Also there is something about artificial sweetners in crystal light post surgery that just don't work for us. It is just gross. I bought one of those bottles that has the core inside where you can put fruit inside. For me the thing that works best is lemons. at the end of the day the thing that works best for me is room temperature water and If I am going to have a good fluids day, I have to sit with that bottle in my had and sip sip sip like crazy for a couple of sessions a few times a day. If I set it down I forget about it.

In the first few weeks I actually had myself so stressed about this but was told by my nurse not to stress, just do the best that I could and try hard to stay hydrated so I did not get sick. I only let it happen once and trust me, you don't want to det dehydrated. You really feel like crap.

Just do the best you can but don't get hung up on 64oz.

While following your surgeon's recommendations is always a best practice, in truth I think the way you feel really needs to take top priority. You're not doing yourself any favors by forcing in more fluids only to yack them back up- you're losing what little you can hold! With that being said, I might suggest the Isopure Protein drinks. They look like Kool-Aid, (I'm not saying they really taste like Kool-Aid, but some of them aren't too bad) come in 20 ounce bottles and have 40 grams of Protein per bottle. I'm not crazy about all of them, but if I'm having a super busy day or will be on the road for my job, I'll take a couple of them along to kill 2 birds with one stone.

My experiences with "Soft veggies" means anything that's not fibrous (like celery or asparagus) and nothing with hulls (like corn or peas) at the stage your'e in. Other than that, cooking them till they're nearly mush opened the door to pretty much anything else.

Good luck to you!

There are various liquids that can count towards your 64-80 ounces per day requirement. This includes the liquid in your Protein shakes, the Water you take when you take your Vitamins and medicine, and Water or flavored water such as Crystal Light. But then there is Decaf coffee and tea. I drink a large cup of each per day. (They are approximately 16 ounces per cup.) I found that some of the specialty teas are really very good, but you need to track down one that meets your taste. In the cold months, I like to drink a cup of hot cocoa but it must be the "no sugar added" variety. It helps with both the Protein and liquid requirements.

I had a RNY. My plan recommended at the 5 week post-op mark the following under vegetables: green Beans, beets, squash, asparagus, zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. And under starches: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and peas.

Reading everyone's post has made me feel a lot better about getting in the Water and other liquids. I don't feel so alone with that struggle. So a big "Thank you".

Thank you for the veggie advice. Not sure I can have any starches, I figured potatoes and sweet potatoes have carbs in them so thought that was a big no no. I would kill to have a baked potato though. Sounds rather yummy. lol!!!

I am waiting for my surgery date. Just attended my nutrition class. Very informative by the way. So i have been wondering. I know most people leave hospital the following day but what about going back to work? Initially i thought I would be out a couple of days but now I'm just confused. I work in an Accounting office. So tax season is just around the corner as well as yearend. I'm expecting my surgery date sometime in Jan. So I'm worried how long I will be out of work...and so is my boss. Haven't been able to give him specific answer thus far. Do you all mind sharing how long it was begore you all were able to return back to work? Thanks!

I was in the hospital two nights after Rny. Went back to my desk job in 3 weeks. It's not only a matter of pain control with going back to work. You need to be comfortable after eating and drinking. Fatigue is also very rough in the beginning. I don't think a matter of days is sufficient at all for any type of job. It is a major surgery.

All the liquids you drink contributes to your 64oz... Maybe tea or coffee? I like peppermint tea.

Tiffany,

I was out of work for almost 2 weeks, because of extended Hospital stay. When I did go back to work I worked part time for 1 week. I had a lot of pain sitting still in a chair for more than 4 hours. Even during those 4 hours, I had to get up and move around or I was miserable. The week after I returned to work full-time and only mild discomfort. So it really depends on your pain tolerance.

Side note....I have now managed to get all Protein in every day. Water not so much, some days I get 2 16.9oz down and some days 1 1/2. Figured with the Protein shakes I need 2 1/2 bottles of Water. So getting there slowly. Still really struggling on this, but I am trying. However, my weight loss has completely stalled for the last 2 weeks. All I have been doing is swamping around the 1 lb difference broken down into ounces back and forth. I am extremely frustrated. Also did my measurements...depressing. How in the world can some parts come down and some go up? Doesn't make sense to me. I am really struggling to stay even remotely positive about this whole thing. I have told my fiance a couple of times I wish I never had this stupid surgery...nothing I do and try to work for matters...nothing is happening. So why bother....of course still glunten for punishment of nothing happening every day. Grrrs!!!

I couldn't get all my Water in until I started using a straw. I emailed my nutritionist around the 4-5 week mark, and she said to go ahead. As soon as I did that, it was much easier to get the Water in during the day, and I haven't had any problems with excess air or anything else. Think about contacting your doctor's office and see what they say about straws.