Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

Hi All:

I hope that things are getting back to normal and power is back on for you all. We had a lot of wind and rain in St. Louis. The only damage I had was a couple of big tree lims came down and one it he side of the roof and did about 300.00 in damage the other fell into the neighbors yard and just missed the deck. I have a couple of friends who had Water in the basement at about 6 feet high. Went to the doctor yesterday for the one year update and my new weight is 184. I go for a sleep study on Thursday which is the one year since I got the band. Time has gone fast and have not looked back. Will post more once I find out about how Iam doing with all the loss. I have a herbest retainer that I also use with the CPAP. Might not need the machine anymore.

Chris

Hi All - Ike certainly has left his mark on us all, hasn't he? We were lucky here in South-central KY. Some strong winds, some tree limbs down. As far as I know, no major damage or injuries.

Unfortunately, one of my nursing students wasn't as lucky. Her younger brother was injured when a tree crashed into the family home near Louisville KY. He is in Kosair Childrens Hospital in critical condition. Pray for the family.

Juli - My daughter goes to school in Steubenville, OH and it sounds like that community took a hit too. Franciscan University didn't lose power, but it sounds as if alot of the city did. She spent Saturday in Columbus with a friend. I am so glad that their trip was Sat instead of Sunday!

TLill - Been taking Zumba classes at the university fitness center. How long before it won't totally kick my heinie??!! Also, when will my feet reconnect with my brain? I swear that music comes on and I have no control over what my feet do. Everyone else is zigging and I seem to be zagging! LOL! I also realize that I have many years before I turn into the cute eccentric little old lady that college students get a kick out of in their exercise classes. Presently they just seem to look horrified when I show up!

Haven't been on my bike in 5 days. I'm wanna ride!!

Take care all. KY

yes, IKE did take a toll on allot of people. there were 6 deaths in Indiana alone. We were without power for 58 hours. I cant even begin to imagine how bad it has been for those that were hit hard.

KY...did you not do the ride saturday??

We have the HOPE ride this weekend. we signed up for the 64 mile ride. Glad I didnt sign up for the 100 since I have been off my bike since last week.

We are camping the weekend....gosh we have done that the last 3 days..LOL

Congrats Chris on the wonderful loss in the year Pictures please!!!!!

and btw...MIKE...where are YOUR pictures of the bike???????????

hi everyone..this thread has been very quiet this week....hope everyone has power and getting there life back on track.

I am doing a organized event this weekend....it is in Hope, In. I am excited about it but life has been very stressful here getting everything ready before work..but it is done and we are ready now...LOL

Anyway....everyone have a good weekend....

HP - I guess your power is back on? Sorry I've been remiss in my bike collection duties - will post a pick tonight... Good luck on your ride this weekend! Have lots of fun!

I got a refill today. Oooo - restriction - wow - forgot what that was like. Hopefully restriction, along with getting more (any) exercise will restart the weight loss soon...

B

Wow its been a long two weeks....

Glad to hear everyone is safe from the storm! I had family in Houston, they are all ok..lucky with minimal damage.

School and work has kept me soo busy that I have barely had time to exercise at all. I am watching what I eat very carefully since I haven't been riding or exercising much.

2B~ My hips, feet, and brain do not ever synch. I am the whitest white girl you have ever seen and if you ever watch me do Zumba you will get more of a work out laughing at my uncoordinated self than you would anything else. I attempted to show one of my friends some of the moves and she nearly pee'd her pants!

I did get a pilates yoga work out in the other day and I was sore for a good 4 days...and when my HH who is in shape says that a work out kicks his butt its a good one!

Soooo anyways..hopefully things will start to slow down and I can get a few rides in before I head out to Jamaica! I am totally in need for this Vacation!!!!

Take care everyone!

As HP pointed out, I have been remiss in posting pics of the new bike, so without further delay...

web.jpg

It's name is Monster, because my boxer is terrified of it as it follows us down the street on the bike rack - also because it kidnaps her daddy when we get to the park.

It's a blast to ride at the park, and according to the heart rate monitor, I burn as many calories on a 3-mile ride on the trails as I did on a 10-12 mile ride on the road. I need to get my other bike into the shop for a tune-up, so I can get back out on the road some as well.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

B

Sweet bike, B.

I tried a Zumba class once. I wanted something more...painful is the only word that comes to mind, because it did get my heart rate up and it was pleasant.

I was telling my friend about it as she's a regular Zumba-er and suggested my instructor was not hard enough. Maybe I'll check out a different class.

I'm nearly done with my global business class. 4 more until I get the MBA. Do you see that B? FOUR??!!!! I can't wait!

Going to Chicago this weekend to hang and play for the 2 days between classes. :embaressed_smile:

Hope everyone is well.

J

B...love your new bike....and it is sure pretty!!!!

Well, my daughter who is 14 completed her first 50 mile ride saturday! She has only dont 30 miles at one time so far, so this is a huge accomplishment for her. We had sit out for the 64 miler, but she was done at 40....Lol...so we had to push the last 10 miles to get her back.

This was a excellent ride and they raised enough money to fund the food bank for an entire year.

There were tons of people, great food, and just allot of fun.

Not many hills...well, none at all really....so the flats were kind of boring, but refreshing as well.

We have a ride scheduled next weekend and it is supposed to be hilly...I will be wishing for some flat roads by the time I am through with that one I am sure..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

Sweet bike, B.

I'm nearly done with my global business class. 4 more until I get the MBA. Do you see that B? FOUR??!!!! I can't wait!

Going to Chicago this weekend to hang and play for the 2 days between classes. :embaressed_smile:

Hope everyone is well.

J

That is freaking AWESOME. I'm so happy for, and jealous of, you!!!! You are going to invite me to your graduation?

BTW - at one time you had talked about coming to Dallas for the conference in October - are you still thinking about that?

Enjoy Chicago.

B

Hi,

Thanks for all the welcoming on this group. Due to Ike, I lost power for about 6 hours, but I was without cable and internet for most of the week.

I've been riding my bike with my autistic daugher on her new three wheeler. She can now go about 3 miles at a time which is great but when I'm with her I average 5.7 MPH. That's about walking speed!

When I'm on my own I do about 12-14 mph. So how am I making it a workout at a slow speed? Riding in the grass along the bike path. It is a much harder workout. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Susan

Seebs

Hi Seebs,

One thing you could do to make rides with your daughter more of a workout is to carry more weight on the bike. For example, a 3-liter Camelbak weighs ~7.5 pounds full; a 2-liter weighs ~5 pounds. The nice thing about carrying extra Water weight is that it's heaviest at the beginning of the ride, and as you drink it, the load becomes lighter...

Just a though.

B

hey b

I agree with you about adding the weight/

I kind of did that to myself on accident with completly frezzing my Water bottles on accident. i know it wasnt 7 lbs but it felt like 10!!!!

We are home and glad of it.

Seebs....that is great that you are out riding with your daughter and you know it is a great thing to see the satisfaction in there faces when they do something for the first time...

Hi to all

B,

You know I'm hoarding time for surgery this summer so I'm not going to make it to the conference. I wish I could go, I bet it would be amazing to be around a bunch of Lapband folk.

Would you come to my graduation???

Wouldn't that be a riot? Everyone, including me, would be like, who is that guy with the boston/texas accent?

I expect the graduation will be a small affair. My BS was bigger than I expected, all kinds of family and friends showed up. My MBA, I will walk, should be smaller thing. What stinks is that it's on Mother's Day so getting restaurant reservations (Former Fatty speaking up) will be difficult!

I've got a cold and feel miserable. I thought this was only supposed to happen in the winter. I'm such a germ freak, I can't imagine how I got ill. Damn grocery store was out of wipes for the carts! I need to bring my own.

hey b

I agree with you about adding the weight/

I kind of did that to myself on accident with completly frezzing my Water bottles on accident. i know it wasnt 7 lbs but it felt like 10!!!!

Your water bottles would weigh the same amount whether the water is liquid or frozen =) So you always carry that extra weight around.