Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:banana :banana

I just had to let you all know I've been approved! I'm being banded by Dr. Johnell in Greeley, Colorado on October 28. I've already done all my pre-op testing. I'm so excited, but a little scared too. I just pray I can stick to good eating habits and maximize my loss. I'll take any suggestions I can get. I've been reading all the comments about how hard it can be and all I can say is it's got to be better than gaining every year.

I think this site is great. You all share everything (even if it's not band related LOL) and it's so helpful to us who are soon to be banded or newbies.

Wish me luck

hopeful1

And yet another "mature" bandster joining the ranks! Congratulations! I think once you get past the liquid stage (which definitely isn't the end of the world!), you'll be pleasantly surprised by your band and yourself. I can honestly say this is the only thing that has worked for me. It really hasn't been hard. Sure, you'll have days that you don't eat the right things. But then you'll get back on track. Unlike earlier attempts, once I slipped, I just gave up and "pigged out". Please give us some info. about you, starting weight, height. Best of luck to you! :cool:

Hey -

Good to hear from you! I'm a loan officer from Colorado, too!!

I was just banded on September 15th. I'm doing great - just waiting for a fill.

I'd love to learn more about you.

Guest Cissylea

Hi girls,

I'm new to the boards, and just starting my journey into lap banding. I've made my decision to have the surgery, but I'm now looking for a doctor.

Just thought I'd post and say hi since I'm also from Colorado and also work in the loan biz.

I noticed Kim went to Dr. Kuri and was also thinking of using him. I've already made my first contact with his office and received an email with lots of information. Any info you have about him would be greatly appreciated.

I think my greatest fear is getting back to Colorado and finding a doctor to do the fills. I'm not sure I can return to Mexico every couple of months for fills.

Anywho...... just wanted to say hi to you both and congrats to Hopeful, I'm sooooo jealous.

Cissylea

Please, please, please, please have your aftercare in place BEFORE being banded. I cannot stress to you enough how very important this is. There are people on this board who have absolutely NO care and serious situations. Please do not set yourself up for this. Things can and do happen with the band. Albeit even the worst things aren't as bad as the other surgeries, it is still very important to you when it happens. Make certain you have follow up care, perhaps your banding doc can introduce you to someone he has proctored in the states?

Sincerely,

Leatha

Well I Was Banded On October 5th. After 4 Days I Was Able To Go Back To My Old Eating Habits. I Almost Ate 4 Pieces Of pizza. My Band Needs A Fill But The Doctor Office Says That It Is Too Early. They Stated That I Need To Give My Stomach Time To Heal. I Am Always Hungry And I Am Beginning To Think That This Band Is Not A Good Idea After All. I Can No Longer sleep On My Stomach Because It Hurts. It Also Hurts To Breath, Cough Or Sneeze. And Sometimes I Have Problems Tring To Go To The Restroom. I Will Let You All Know The Update When I Get My Fill Because Right Now With A Loss Of 11pds I Feel Sad.

HEY LOVE THAT IS LIKE WHAT A LB. A DAY LOSS! WHOWA--some how i do not think you should of ate that pizza tho after 4 days maybe that's why you're sore--or maybe the gas has not all passed--are you walking at all yet? good luck

I am walking fine. Me and my husband actually went and walked about 2 miles the other day. I actulaly feel like i have alot of energy. Surprisingly we were able to get back to the normal (hanky panky between 2 people). I thought that i would be able to do this for a while but i had no problem. The only problem i had was tring to lay on my stomach. This still hurts. I feel like i am going to throw up. But i am doing fine. We went out to eat the other day and i had half a salad and some broiled fish. It felt good eating healthy. I will lay off the pizza because i know that its not healthy. Thanks for all your replies. And good luck.

Lovemeacb4e,

What happened to your liquid phase? Any solid food for a while after the surgery is a bad idea. I remember having a creamy Soup that was slightly too thick in my liquid phase that caused me to slime and gave me that golf ball feeling. Awful!! I can't imagine getting pizza down. The hunger and liquid phase after surgery is not unbearable and is only temporary. Newbies must give everything time to heal and adjust without stressing the system. We have all been hungry during diet attempts and the early phase of the banding isn't any more painful in my view. I know its hard and I was hungry too but for the sake of long term health and healing doctors rules MUST be followed. Good luck to all of you and your banding research. Teresa

Thanks for the congrats and encouragement everyone. Can't wait till the 28th.

Cissylea, where in Colorado are you? I have a lapband friend from Grand Junction (she sometimes posts here as well) who came over to Dr. Johnell in Greeley to be banded. I live in Berthoud and had a co-worker who had gastric bypass with him who's done very well. I chose him because he does more lapbands than other WLS doctors in this state. It took me 4 months to get approved but it was a combination of paper work mess ups and such. Usually he's pretty fast and once I was approved the surgery was scheduled for three weeks later.

Live2canoe, I finally responded to your private message. I didn't even know I could get those! I'm such a rookie at this. Anyway like I said I live in Berthoud and work there as well. I've been at the same bank for 10 years but with three different owners!

Lovemeacb4e, I'm sorry to hear you're discouraged. That's a little scary for us waiting to be banded. I guess I worry most about that phase right after banding and before a fill when everyone around you is expecting you to be losing like a gastric bypass patient! I'm surprised you're eating solids too. I don't think my doctor advises that.

I'm 52, 5'4" and depending which scale I get on weigh anywhere from 244 to 250! I've had a weight problem most of my life and dieted since I was 13. It just got out of control when I got over 40 and I've been powerless to stop it. I've gained nearly 50 lbs. the last 10 years and I was already 60-70 lbs. overweight before that. Scary. I sure hope this works.

Thanks all,

Denise/hopeful1

Well I Was Banded On October 5th. After 4 Days I Was Able To Go Back To My Old Eating Habits. I Almost Ate 4 Pieces Of pizza. My Band Needs A Fill But The Doctor Office Says That It Is Too Early. They Stated That I Need To Give My Stomach Time To Heal. I Am Always Hungry And I Am Beginning To Think That This Band Is Not A Good Idea After All. I Can No Longer sleep On My Stomach Because It Hurts. It Also Hurts To Breath, Cough Or Sneeze. And Sometimes I Have Problems Tring To Go To The Restroom. I Will Let You All Know The Update When I Get My Fill Because Right Now With A Loss Of 11pds I Feel Sad.

I would seriously ask you to consult your physicians post -op orders again. pizza 2 weeks post-op seriously conflicts with what most docs advise. If your doc did not advise you. I would seriously consult Inamed's Patient Handbook which will definitely say no solid foods for the first 4-6 weeks. This allows your stomach to heal and the band to 'seat' itself in scar tissue which hopefully will help prevent slippage down the road.

It would make sense that you aren't initially able to sleep on your tummy. You just had surgery there. It will take time to heal, but generally within the first few weeks you should be able to sleep on your side again, the full tummy may take a few weeks longer.

Breathing, coughing or sneezing will stretch your diaphram which will definitely be sensitive after surgery for several weeks. All of this gets better with each passing day. Are you walking? How about a heating pad for relief?

Who was your doctor again?

I'm really sorry that you seem disappointed in having the band. :) 11 pounds in 2 weeks is very good. With the lapband, 5-10lbs a month is average. You are ABOVE average (enjoy it, this will slow down.). Were you expecting to lose like bypass patients? How long did you research before you were banded? Don't be discouraged, this is all part of the process and I promise you will feel like a new person in no time, if you just follow the rules. Take a deep breath and try to remember the reason you were banded in the first place. You'll get the hang of it, I promise. :)

http://www.inamed.com/pdf/health/94829F_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

Please check this link out for Inamed's recommendations for band care.

Good luck to you!

Good post Leatha, Well done! To all of you other ladies posting on this thread hello and welcome. It's good to be in bandland!

Congratulations. I am so jealous I'm beginning to give up hope. I have been waiting for insurance approval for 3 weeks now. Really, I am very happy for you. I hope all goes well.