Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does Sleep Apnea complicate the VSG date?

So I went to my first pulm appointment today and he said based on the fact that I get thirsty often throughout the day and wake up twice in the night to use the bathroom he is going to order a sleep test. He told me if I do have sleep apnea it would complicate my path towards getting the sleeve. I was so shock that I didn't even ask how. Though I would never lie to a doctor I was thinking what's the point of being honest if this can screw me up moving forward. I really hope I don't have it. My BMI is 43 and I have good insurance.. Can someone please tell me how having sleep apnea could delay my journey?

The sleeve has actually helped me with sleep apnea, I'm not snoring either. My pulmonary dr was glad to hear me agetting this done, I'm hoping to soon be taken off oxygen at night. Idk if it will happen because I have COPD pretty bad but I can hope.

That's what I thought. I figured if I did have sleep apnea it's more of a reason to get the surgery. Also it would give me less hurdles to climb with insurance. Maybe he meant time wise it would complicate things. I want the surgery in Feb sometime. Idk, I really wish I asked him.

I've read some ppl on here have to go for the test and if diagnosed they have to wear the machine for a week or so before surgery. That's just hearsay

Edited by downsizingdiva

What in the world does thirst and peeing at night have to do with a condition (sleep apnea) that causes periods of cessation of breathing while sleeping?

Many obese people have sleep apnea (plenty of whom are unaware) and it is one the top co-morbitities that qualifies someone for WLS. How in the world would that be the impetus to delay or prevent surgery?!

I asked the same thing, how does my thirst relate to sleep apnea. He said sleep apnea closes the airways at night and people get extremely thirsty. I told him I sleep with Water on my nightstand. And that was the nail in the coffin for him.

I am 90% sure I don't have sleep apnea.

I luckily did not exhibit any symptoms of sleep apnea. But my dad who had bypass back in April did actually have sleep apnea.

There was no hold up's or complications. They will more than likely just want you to have a CPAP machine at home if they find you have sleep apnea to use for a bit before and after surgery. Honestly my dad used his CPAP machine for a couple days before surgery and never used it after.

**Not that you shouldn't use it after surgery if you need it. He's a bad patient!

Edited by Aranks

Oh wow, and here I thought all of this time sleep apnea closed the airways and made the lungs really thirsty......for oxygen. You learn something new everyday.

Ok great to know. I'm just going to ignore his comments on complication since he doesn't actually work in the bariatric dept. If this was coming from my bariatric unit I would be more concerned.. I was just so surprise that he said it.

Ok great to know. I'm just going to ignore his comments on complication since he doesn't actually work in the bariatric dept. If this was coming from my bariatric unit I would be more concerned.. I was just so surprise that he said it.

OK, I consider myself an expert of sorts since my surgery is finally scheduled for 12/23 and it was the sleep apnea diagnosis that caused the delay. My surgeon sent me to the pulminologist to clear me. He ordered the sleep study which diagnosed moderate to severe sleep apnea. I then went for a second sleep "titration" study so they could figure out what settings on the CPAP machine I neeeded for treatment. My pulminologist's office ordered the equipment and a respitory therapist delivered it and set it up for me. I have been using it now for 14 days.

With every step obviously appointments had to be scheduled and herein lies the delay. Depending on the sleep center you are using, you might wait a couple of weeks for each appointment. If you need a CPAP machine, how quickly you get it will depend on the insurance that you have and what clearances you need for durable medical equipment. My pulminologists office was exceptional and they worked very hard to make the entire process as expeditious as possible.

CPAP machines nowadays contain computer chips in them and a modem can be attached. This is to ensure compliance. I know that if I do not average at least 4 hours per night on the machine, my insurance will revoke payment... and that's several thousand $$. My pulminologist also requires that I bring the memory stick to all my appointments.

He has required that I be on the machine at least 14 days prior to surgery so I will see him next week for his final clearance. My surgeon requires that I bring my CPAP machine to the hospital with me so it can be used during the procedure.

I would say that this has delayed the process about a month to two months. Ironically, I was actually approved for the surgery the second week in October. It was the sleep apnea that caused the delay in being scheduled by my surgeon. She simply would not move forward without clearance on this one issue.

You may be lucky and not be diagnosed with sleep apnea. I should have gone for testing years ago and never wanted to especially since I didn't see how on earth I could ever sleep with a contraption strapped to my head! Technology has advanced though and I'm finding it much easier that I expected. More importantly, I recognize what a serious disease sleep apnea is and how it affects the cardiac system, blood pressure, etc. It is as detrimental to your overall health as diabetes. Goggle "sleep apnea" and read about it.

I can say that now but to be honest I was very annoyed by all the delays with the doctor and sleep center. I realize now that it really was a blessing. I am on this path to improve my health and quality of life. This diagnosis is actually a very important piece of that puzzle.

Nah. I had to do the sleep study too (and got sleeved on 11/5). Found out I have mild (borderline moderate) sleep apnea. Got my machine and have been sleeping with it on. hard to get use to at first but now I'm good. Only thing I had to do was bring my mask with me to the hospital for my surgery to use for my 2 nights. No complications towards my surgery. I think he's just blowing smoke. I think you're all good.

Good luck! :)

Edited by JenWith

I asked the same thing, how does my thirst relate to sleep apnea. He said sleep apnea closes the airways at night and people get extremely thirsty. I told him I sleep with Water on my nightstand. And that was the nail in the coffin for him.

I am 90% sure I don't have sleep apnea.

I thought the same thing! Turns out, I do have it. I stop breathing 15 times an hour. 27 times an hour in a very deep sleep.

Delays are so frustrating! But better to know and increase your chances of coming out of surgery in good condition, right? I hope you don't have it, though!