Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I realize not everyone here lives in the northern hemisphere. But I do. As such, it's winter here. I'm having trouble finding exercises, and sometimes the motivation to do them. I believe this topic will be interesting for all of us, regardless whether snow is on the ground now where you live.

I mention here some things I do for aerobic exercise, and some I do for strength training. I'm interested in what you do too.

Aerobic exercise is pretty boring indoors, but here's what I do:

• I bought a used, inexpensive bicycle trainer from craigslist, and moved my road bike indoors, and mounted it in the bike trainer. I also purchased an inexpensive set of aero bars and mounted them on my handlebars, so I could spare my sore wrists while I ride. I turn the screen to YouTube vids of cross country bike rides. Or in a pinch I watch movies or TV episodes while I ride. I try to get in at least 10 minutes continuous each day. I look forward to getting out on the road with my bike. After all it IS a ROAD BIKE!
  • I also have a treadmill, upon which I placed some cut pieces of rigid foam insulation as a desk, across the treadmill handles. Upon that I have placed my old laptop. While I walk, I can use my laptop for internet, computer games, videos, and movies and TV episodes. It's a bit like patting your head while rubbing your stomach. But if you start out slow, you'll get used to it.

Strength training indoors is pretty boring too. But I usually do strength work with dumbbells, or body-weight (like push-ups), for resistance. You can find a multitude of strength training exercise ideas on the internet. And it helps to do this to music, or even watching something on the screen.

I have more info on these things I do, and will gladly expound if given the chance! Feel free to message me if you like. ;-)

Here's the link for the aero bars: http://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Triathlon-Aero-Trial-Handlebar/dp/B00EOA7QIG/

Here's a photo of my "treadmill desk" set up:

post-185280-0-35238800-1417730603_thumb.jpg

So how do you get in your exercise indoors?

I love all of the exercise videos available on YouTube. Also Zumba on the Xbox is fun. I am also taking cross country ski lessons and snow shoe lessons this winter with my kids. It snows a LOT up here so I might as well find someway to use it!

Kudos to everyone....

Thanks luvin-life and filmgal! Yes, kudos to all of us who make an effort to exercise during these cold days and nights! ;-)

Awesome stuff! I am turning one of my bedrooms into a workout room. I have a yoga ball, yoga mat, kettle bell, rubbery bands, jump rope, that sort of thing.

I am even trying old fashioned calisthetics (not sure how to spell that): toe touches, jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, squats, that sort of thing. I'm trying to jump rope but not very good at it yet which is frustrating because I remember as a kid being really good at it. I even have a hula hoop that I'm trying to use but that's really difficult! My best exercise with it is having to constantly bend down to pick it back up! lol.

I used to have a trainer come to my house so I know a lot of things I can do without much equipment.

Someone had borrowed my treadmill a few years ago and I know she isn't using it anymore but I'm not sure how to ask her for it back. That was sort of the agreement that she would borrow it for as long as she needed it but when she didn't want it anymore that she would give it back. I think she will but we are both probably being too nice about it and not wanting to be the first one to bring it up. lol. I should def get that back, though it is about 20 years old. Maybe I need a new one.

It's great to have an extra bedroom to convert into a workout room. We converted an unused bedroom into an office/workout/music room. My wife and I share the office desk, with our newer laptop computers and printer set-up. We take turns on the treadmill desk I mentioned in that earlier post. And I have my guitars in the same area as my side of the office desk. The guitars spend most of their time out of their cases, so I'll practice them! ;-)

I've been hesitant to practice jumping exercises, like with a jump rope or with jumping-jacks. I'm still worried my insides won't like it. Have you had any problems doing jumping exercises?

I encourage you to start the conversation about getting your treadmill back. At least you'll finally find out where your friendship with her is.

I had my surgery in January so I am all healed. I have not had any problems jumping around other than it's been a long time since I've done anything like that! lol.

My surgery was last December, so next week I'll be a year out. But I'm still chicken about some things. ;-)