Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve done on May 29, 2014. My surgeon doesn't seem the easiest to ask questions an get a response that is more than just "in time". I have no idea what I should be eating and not nor how often or how much. My family doctor tries to help as much as she can but admits she doesn't have much experience in that area. I have lost 75 pounds so far but the last 6 weeks nothing. At this point I feel like this is just not working well for me or I'm doing something wrong. I try to stay positive but at this point it's very hard. Any help would be appreciated.

I would think at your point you should be able to eat whatever you want..stick with the basics Protein first , wait your 30 mins before and after eating to drink,..ect. There are a lot of nice recipes online, Search for low carb that would be your best bet. Your 7 ish months out so your surgeon probably doesn't have a structured plan for you like they do in the very beginning...now you get to make all the right choices! ; )-

Ty sadly I've struggled with this from day one my surgeon was no help at all from day one. I try to do Protein low carbs and small portions. However I feel like you just never know when enough is too much an such. Just pure frustration!

Does your surgeon ofc have a nutritionist or ofc manager? Start with them. Share you concerns. Have you been writing down every piece of food you put in your mouth? Go back to the pre op basics. Lots of Water . I hope this helps

I use a spreadsheet to log what I eat and drink. At the end of the day, my Protein grams (google Protein + whatever you are eating) have to equal at least 60; my liquids have to equal at least 64oz. I don't drink anything with more than 5 calories/cup. I take BariatricAdvantage vitamins: 2 of their caramel Calcium citrate chewables (one in the morning; one at night), and a capsule, Ultra Multivitamin with Iron, which I take at lunch time. That is it!

@@Lovebuggie I hear you. I have great restriction but I weigh out my food @ 3oz because that's all I can eat and I will eat it Almost all but leave a bite or two, wait.....and then in 15 mins if I still feel hungry I will eat the last two bites...I never end up eating them but I could if I needed to. Now you Are farther ahead than me so measure out the oz you can have and try that!

Do you have A food scale? If not they are relatively cheap I have a digital on from Walmart it was maybe 20 bucks, a food scale and a food tracker are your friends!

Wow sorry to hear that your surgeon isn't very helpful. Mine has my first 2 years planned out for me. They let me know if I am doing good or bad. I agree you should see if you can find a dietician who is knowledgeable about bariatric surgery. If your doctor doesn't have one maybe where you had your surgery has one available. Also an exercise physiologist is helpful to keep your activity in line. So like the others said go back to basics and monitor yourself. Good luck

Ty all. I don't log food exercise or fluids. Although I will start. I have tried to find a nutritionist to help me however they all say they aren't experienced in my case and I need to go back to my surgeon but when I do that he says only 1 visit per 2 years. When I first saw her she wasn't much help just told me Portion Control. Which tells me absolutely nothing. I'm starting to feel like this is just a huge disappointment. I no nothing more than I did at day one. Every time I see my surgeon I ask questions an he dances around them I've spoke to the office manager everything I could possibly think of an have come up empty handed. So I continue to be in the dark. I thought if I turned to this I could get some insight on how to go about eating drinking exercise and such. I will definitely get a scale an do the food tracking. I thank you all for your help.

Jeebus H. Keerist!

That is effing criminal -- the way your surgeon runs his business! And one visit every two years for post-bariatric patients? F**k that!

I don't know when your surgery was, but I assume you're less than a month out, right?

OK ... here are several bariatric centers' plans for gastric sleeve patients ... go read them:

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Sleeve-Patient-Manual.pdf

http://www.floydbariatrics.org/floyd-bariatrics-sleeve-gastrectomy-diet.html

http://obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-sleeve-diet-guide/

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I second the food tracking. I've read that tracking your food is one of the best ways to stay on course because you can clearly see if you start getting off course. Although it sounds like you don't really have a course, which sucks. I am not a doctor or medical professional in any way, but I can tell you what my plan is and maybe you can adjust it to suit your needs.

I'm 3 months post-op, have lost 62 pounds, and am eating between 800 and 1,000 calories a day. I aim for 80 to 100 grams of Protein and no more than 40 to 60 grams of carbs. I try to avoid sugar and simple carbs like white rice, white bread, potatoes, etc. I don't really track fat, but I do stick with low fat in things like cheese because the low fat seems to have more Protein.< /p>

I typically have a premier Protein shake for Breakfast around 7, a snack like a boiled egg or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese around 10, lunch like chicken salad or lunch meat and cheese around 1, a light greek yogurt around 4, dinner like baked fish and steamed veggies around 7, then a small snack before bed that I usually choose based on whether I need more calories or protein or what by that point in the day.

I do not drink carbonated beverages or alcohol, and I try to avoid what I call empty eating, like sugar free pudding, which may not be bad for you but also don't really offer you anything.

After meeting with a personal trainer to plan a workout routine, here's what I do. 3 to 4 days a week, I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill or bike and 30 minutes doing the gym's circuit training. Then 2 or 3 days a week, I do some relatively light weight training.

I hope this helps. If you want, feel free to private message me and I'll do my best to give you whatever answers I may have.

So what are you eating? My surgeon gave me basic rules and never mentioned calories. In 11 months since surgery I haven't had a single postop visit with a nut or my surgeon. I don't count calories or track or measure my food. I pretty much just follow the basic guidelines....minimum 60g Protein (I get more like 80-100g), minimum 64oz Water and all my Vitamins. Everything else is based on healthy food choices. I eat veggies, fruit and whole grains and avoid "white carbs" (rice, Pasta, bread, alcohol, sugar) but still have them a few times/month.

A lot of people do better when they track and count everything, it's just not something I've done postop (besides keeping rough track of Protein and Water in my head) I just do better keeping things simple and not feeling restricted by rules and restrictions. You really just need to find what works for you. If what you're doing isn't working, try more calories/less calories/more protein/less carbs....etc. if you need to count and track, then count and track. You don't necessarily need a nut to tell you what to eat. You know what's healthy and what's not and there's tons of good food ideas on these forums.

Edited by Kindle

I eat a Greek light yogurt about 9am around 11 eat 1oz of Peanut Butter at 1-2 eat a Fiber One Bar 5-6 eat dinner like baked chicken with steamed veggies 8-9 usually some sort of fruit like apple banana or natural pop corn. Honestly I drink 2 bottles of Water if that a day with flavor packs.no alcohol or carbonated beverages at all once a month I may have a glass of unsweetened tea.

@@Lovebuggie I think you already know you need to drink more than that girl!