Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to realistically fight off head hunger!

So I already went through my last supper syndrome phase and eat everything in my kitchen including the sink. So I'm def ready to get started of my pre-op weight loss. So I'm keeping my food at a modest 1200 calories recommended to me by my doctor and also suppose to major cut out carbs. I'm day two of that and have major head hunger. When it is genuine hunger I just have a shake and I'm fine I'm use to eating whenever and whatever I want. I know the typical answer is it worth it and keep your eyes on the prize but lets be real if we didn't have some form or another of bad eating habits we wouldn't be here. I'll take any suggestions!

Drinking chicken broth can be helpful - not much calories, but it's warm and kind of satisfying and feels like Soup. I like drinking a big mug of tea with a little milk - same idea as the broth. Fills you up a bit and makes you feel a bit nourished.

yea I def have been expanding my broth range. I bought tons of it to see what I like what i don't. i know a lot of people say my taste for food my change but I'm hoping it doesn't change that much thanks for the suggestion. I also bought a lot of warm teas to drink. I'm lactose intolerant and don't take the milk but it does help!

I don't know if it's more of a "realistic" issue as it is a willpower issue. Pre-op is not easy and it does Take some major willpower at times to make it through. Also avoiding food commercials, food images period can help. Out of sight out of mind (hopefully). Hang in there it won't last forever!

My taste buds certainly changed after surgery. Just the smell of warmed up broth made me wanna puke. When I get the head hunger......I fix myself of cup of either orange and spice or apple and spice tea and my head hunger is gone. Good luck to you!!!

;) I agree with elode. No more food Network for you.

Well I don't have to worry about watching food commercials or food network since I don't have tv but i think my issue also might be that I still trying to get use to having less food in general. you see we all have stretched out or stomach and tend to having a harder time to be full...well everyone says Protein Protein protein it will make you full. Yea i drink and eat plenty of protein so I guess i'm just asilly food addict. I'm going to of course work on it and since I haven't cheated yet I suppose i'm doing ok. I just want to eat and I know when I feel full for longer then an hour or so cause my stomach is actually smaller it will help. Thank you everyone for the advice I will take all I can get!

food network in general...i loved to curl up and watch food network in cold Saturday mornings with a big cup of coffee and my magazines, pinterest and coupons. I really did have to cut that out. It makes me too hungry. So I miss it but I don't miss the extra hunger. I was visiting a friend and her family, they were watching food network and ate everything in the house! They said I dint know what's wrong with us! I said " I DO! YOUR GONNA HAVE TO CUT THAT DANG FOOD NETWORK OFF " LOL

Edited by downsizingdiva

food Network is my channel man!! I'm on day 6 of my pre op diet. and I think I'm doing pretty good. Now on Thursday when I switch to full liquids might be another problem now I can look forward to my 300 calorie meal then I will be surrounded by food and people pigging out :( But I can do it. I have done this much. but food network doesn't make me as hungry as pintrest does :(

I can definitely spot head hunger more easily since surgery. If I've eaten and feel "hungry" again within a few hours, I usually close my eyes and try to think if I really am hungry. Usually not. I then realize I feel quite satisfied and the thoughts go away.

I'm actually surprised that smelling food when passing by a restaurant doesn't seem to trigger a craving. It always smells good, but I have yet to feel inclined to grab something.

I have gone 5-6 hours without eating and I start to feel almost like very slightly dizziness, but nothing incapacitating.

I love to drink iced Decaf coffee and pour in a bit of Premier Protein chocolate into my drinks throughout the day so that I'm getting the Protein plus some additional calories to feel satisfied.

Head hunger I think is my biggest fear. I am an emotional eater and that is what I fear I can't control. any tips?

Distraction with something kinda fun? For example, I plan on going out and buying a nice little set of many colored art pens and then a coloring book (not a kids one, the kind they make for adults who like to doodle). While I'm watching TV I will doodle and make pretty things...lol. I think anything that occupies your hands -- lots of great craft sites out there....

So I spoke to my doctor today and she told me to just for the next two weeks to just cut out things I should not be eating but keep my normal food in until 3 weeks out since I have not been able to handle the hunger pains. I was genuinely hunger not head hungry my food intake was only 800 calories so I'm allowed to intake 1500 calories until three weeks out and then drop to 1000 three weeks out. I think I can handle that much easier.

When I get head hunger, and just can't escape it's nagging, I eat meat, chicken or pork first to fill me up and retrain my brain to associate meat with head hunger. After eating Protein, and I still have that nagging little voice, I will allow myself a small portion (remember I'm physically full from the protein), about 1/2 a coffee cup (a real coffee cup, not a Starbucks Grande!) of whatever I'm craving. I'm normally satisfied after that.