Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Forum going away?

B-52

IMHO, people who continually, consistently self-sabotage their weightloss simply should not have any WLS! Anyone can eat around the band, not follow Dr. orders, and blame it on the banding so they can get the next best thing (latest fad WLS) just like they (and I) did- onto the next fad diet, fail, next fad diet, Fail... on & on.

NO MORE!

For me, my band is for life! MY life!

Yes... it easy to eat around the band... and, folks have failed the sleeve for the same reason. The band requires a bit of work--you have to listen to what it is telling you. Many folks simply don't learn how to live with a band, or they don't, or can't, do the requisite follow up visits. sometimes it is the fault of the surgeon, sometimes the fault lays with the patient.

With the sleeve, it is a bit harder to cheat, but folks have managed to figure out they can graze all day, or simply eat beyond what their stomachs can hold,and finally they stretch the small stomach to to a point where the surgery is no longer effective. I've seen a lot of posts where folks have gone from the band, to the sleeve, and from the sleeve to RNY bypass. I've seen folks who lived in misery with a procedure for years, and you have wonder why in the world the problem wasn't addressed immediately? That isn't a fault of the surgery if it is allowed go on that long without medical intervention. I've seen posts where WLS patients are asking about drinking alcohol, and not in moderation... really? And they would expect to receive absolution from strangers in order to justify imbibing hundreds of extra calories and sabotaging what they have worked for? As Pogo wisely said, I've I meet the enemy, and he is us.

It could be from the popularity of the sleeve. The lap-band seems like yesterday's news. When I went for my initial consult my doctor said he recommended the sleeve for me and when I told him I still wanted the band he asked "why?". To be honest, I am kicking myself in the ass for not listening to him. I hate this stupid lap-band. I am going to try to get back on track though and make the best out of a bad situation. Also, not to mention, doing nursing clinicals on the bariatric floor at the hospital I work at, we see more lap-band complications than any other bariatric surgery, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

It could be from the popularity of the sleeve. The lap-band seems like yesterday's news. When I went for my initial consult my doctor said he recommended the sleeve for me and when I told him I still wanted the band he asked "why?". To be honest, I am kicking myself in the ass for not listening to him. I hate this stupid lap-band. I am going to try to get back on track though and make the best out of a bad situation. Also, not to mention, doing nursing clinicals on the bariatric floor at the hospital I work at, we see more lap-band complications than any other bariatric surgery, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I am prompted to address this so that I can share another voice. Before choosing the lapband, I asked my surgeon, who is one of Europe's top bariatric (and digestive cancer) surgeons, heading a Center of Excellence, why he didn't do the Sleeve. (He only did lapbands and bypasses). His response was 1) not enough longterm data yet established so he did not feel confident in proposing this surgery to his patients and 2) the most WLS-complications he sees on his floor are from sleevers being sent to him from other hospitals. "22 centimeters of titanium staples? That's a lot of potential for ulceration, perforation, etc. Minimum stay on my floor? Six weeks! No, no sleeve surgery here."

I don't understand. To me there is positive in all surgeries that have the results of weight loss. And a building of a new relationship with food. All information is critical to the success of anyone who undergoes this life saving process. I know that thirty years ago it was stapling the stomach that was used to help with weight loss and a lot of professionals felt it was barbaric. But many lives were lived longer because of it. I know of a woman who's aunt had it done and to this day she has kept her weight off. And became healthier because of it. It is what it is and just as they have made strides in other surgeries and cures for different diseases it does not diminish the one who came before them and benefited from the former treatments.

My surgery is a compromise between the sleeve and by pass. What would I have done if it had only been the sleeve and nothing more. I would be dead now. I hope that they do come up with easier ways of helping the obese of this world without taking such drastic measures as they have in the past and even now with these new surgeries.

But and this is the point I want to make. People who are successful with any one of these surgeries have a lot of information and experience to share with those who are learning, having or living with these procedures. Those who have had Lap Band have a lot to offer to help everyone who has had any type of WLS because there is more to it then just the surgery. There is the mental, emotional and physical changes and demons to deal with. We need the help of those that came before us.

So please keep up your posts and help those who need you in other areas besides actual surgery choices. It is all in the name of good health and well being. So many have left this forum for different reasons. We need all of you Lap Banders and Sleevers and By Passers and Yes even the Roux En Y like me who offer assistance to others. You are important here and I respect you so much for your success.

Jane

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

labwalker: I've I meet the enemy, and he is us.

My point exactly!

WLS is no joke! Altered for life.

WE must learn to comply with / listen to our new selves- or fail.

I think one of the research articles I saw was 20% rate of slippage with the band. The other is having refills, etc. that you don't need with the other surgeries. The weight loss is not as good. If you have more weight to lose, as people are getting larger, the sleeve or RNY or DS is the way to go.

I have heard of people with 8 years or more doing well with the band. I've had some with sleeve or RNY not do well, and everything in between. I support whatever surgery someone gets.

Its hard to ignore though, the reasons above. Not saying people don't have success, but the success rates with RNY & sleeve are higher, the complications less, going to a specific doctor for refills, etc. less than what RNY/sleeve do, that's a good part of why you see what you do.

I do not know why people would denigrate people based on the surgery they had. I may or may not like the lap band but I most assuredly would never even bring that up. I know I did mention in one post my particular surgeon doesn't do lap bands anymore and said to me that he spends half his surgery time removing lap bands. But that is not indicative of anything. People who succeed on it have my full support and I truly want them to succeed. People who have problems with it, I feel for them and wish they didn't have problems. What works for me should never translate into hate speech towards another.

Stevehud you would be surprised. When I showed people, by the cops own admissions statements in the FOIA'ed police reports, that my surgeon was calling the cops on me for doing nothing illegal and wrong, its amazing the hate and retaliation I got from some of his people/patients. In other words, they promoted the one who wronged (and who's group has done things they appear to try and stop me from speaking on).

The question is what is the motive in their hearts to do that?

I would say to ask the same question for people who don't support anothers' choice in the surgery. Or in where they get surgery (since we've known people to have a problem with those who go to Mexico for it).

I've stood by the LAP-BAND since day numero uno and I will continue to do so. The company that purchased it from Allergan (ApolloEndo) has very good intentions and it's in very good hands. They have some really interesting advances coming in the near future. There will always be a vibrant group of Bandsters on here who will keep the fire going. Let's remember our roots....LapBandTalk.com is what started this all :D I'm here for the long haul, hope others will come along for the journey. In 5-10 years from now you'll see Sleevers standing where Bandsters are today. At the end of the day, we're all battling the same disease!!! I hope one day it'll be cured via pill. Until then.....

Amen to that, Alex :)

My comment was directed at the comments you alleged that your doctor made. I was asking for something more tangible than his "opinion," but I guess he didn't bother to substantiate his assertions with verifiable information. There are a lot of studies that that showed poor results for the band, but that is dated information and based on 4 cc bands that are no longer used in the US, and for early surgical techniques that have been refined over the past few decades. For a doctor to say the band offers less efficacy compared to other procedures raises a red flag. It is true that on average, the weight loss for gastric banding is usually about 10 to 20 percent less than for the sleeve. But, that doesn't mean that the band is not the best procedure for particular patient.

Doctors do not like the band for one reason: it requires follow up care, which means lost revenue and the need for a much larger staff to handle the future needs of band patients. Medicare does not pay for fills or follow up visits, because it is considered a follow up visit for surgery. Did your doctor explain that to you? The practice I visit has four APRNs on staff who are there for follow up support the band patients. My doctor would not do a sleeve on me, and that is what I had wanted, because it was not the safest surgery based on my age and related conditions. I'm glad he put my health above his own needs. A surgeon does the sleeve, and he is done with that patient... clean and simple.

I know folks who have had all of the popular surgeries. They have all had some good amount of success. Have you ever asked your doctor why some folks have revisions to place a band over sleeves, or a band over plication? Or, why a person with a sleeve would ever need a revision to RNY???? I 've asked the APRNs in my doctor's office about some of those avant guarde procedures, but I would NEVER repeat their responses since it would hearsay, and not proper for me to repeat, their comments on a public forum.

I think that most people revise because they've learned to eat around whatever procedure they had. The reality is, that none of the surgeries cure our compulsion to eat. If we ate only because we were hungry, we wouldn't need WLS!! I'm 20 months post op, and after the first 14 months, have learned to eat around the band. There are some days that my NEED to eat, outweighs my strength to fight. My neighbor had the RNY years ago, and started to gain weight. She wanted the band over the RNY to get back the sense of satiety. Again, short term is not a measurement of efficacy with any surgery. We are still addicts. For me, so far, with the band/plication, I have a fighting chance. Even when my compliance is sloppy at best, I stay in and around the same weight. Long term, I cannot say. But for today, it is good.

Edited by mrsto

Mrsto- first off I do not Allege my surgeon said what he did. This is not a trial. He said what he said, you can believe it or not that's your right, but please do not cast aspersions on ME. thank you. I have never put the band down. I will say this I have Never heard of any person getting a band on top of their sleeve, a band on top of a full bypass is similarly moronic.

But since you want to challenge me, here are just a few stats for you. Oh and on the personal note, I know of 4 people who have had wls. Hardly a large enough sample I agree, but 3 of those had lap bands 1 had full bypass, out of the three lap band patients they have all had theirs removed within 2 years of surgery 2 have since gained back more weight than they lost. The one person with full bypass lost the most weight by far and has kept it off without complication for over 5 years now. That's my personal experience and it in no way reflects anything but that.

Now as to that data :

The following 3 studies directly reported on the percentage of failures, which were as low as 14% and as high as 68% of patients... % of patients with unsuccessful weight loss after a specified amount of time

Studies # of lap band patients in study % with unsuccessful weight Year tudy

Study A 201 After 14 years - 68% 2014

Study B 32 After 3.6 years - 62.5% 2014

Study C 200 28.8% 2014 -

See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-surgery-failure.html#2_Types

and

The percentage of patients requiring reoperation is extremely high... up to 50% of all patients require lap band removal. - See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-problems-lap-band-complications.html#sthash.oAYNeJuq.dpuf

According to ABC news

Nearly half of patients who have laparoscopic gastric banding for obesity eventually need to have the devices removed because of erosion or some other malfunction, researchers say.

Among 82 patients followed for at least 12 years after lap-band surgery at a single institution, 49 had at least one reoperation for complications or device failure, according to Dr. Jacques Himpens, of Saint Pierre University Hospital in Brussels, and colleagues.

They also reported online in Archives of Surgery that 41 had the bands removed during follow-up, with 14 then undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. In all but a few cases, inadequate weight loss or device breakdown was the reason for band removal.

Now as I said personally whatever works for you is GREAT! My method isn't better than yours for you and your method is not the best for me.

@mrsto Thank you for that information. VERY MUCH!! I'll look that one up about recent studies. I would suspect the lower rate and slower rate of weight loss is the issue. Lets face it: Americans want it fast and now. RNY & Sleeve deliver that. I would TOTALLY support the issue you brought up of follow up care. My surgeon dropped my follow up care (I'm a complicated patient & from what I can tell he didn't know all the complications from surgery and didn't even bother to research it, nor was my questions & research & other docs' opinions any meaning to him). Yes, that is correct: once the $$$$$ surgery happens, you are a waste of money except for the ASMBS studies. They can send you out to regular PCP's to draw the blood work each year. They don't want us problem children because we're not worth the investment.

No matter what the surgery is: band, sleeve or RNY, there are ways to get around them.

QUOTE: first off I do not Allege my surgeon said what he did. This is not a trial. He said what he said, you can believe it or not that's your right, but please do not cast aspersions on ME. thank you. I have never put the band down. I will say this I have Never heard of any person getting a band on top of their sleeve, a band on top of a full bypass is similarly moronic.

B

Now as to that data :

The following 3 studies directly reported on the percentage of failures, which were as low as 14% and as high as 68% of patients... % of patients with unsuccessful weight loss after a specified amount of time

Study C 200 28.8% 2014 -

See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-surgery-failure.html#2_Types

and

The percentage of patients requiring reoperation is extremely high... up to 50% of all patients require lap band removal. - See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-problems-lap-band-complications.html#sthash.oAYNeJuq.dpuf

According to ABC news

Nearly half of patients who have laparoscopic gastric banding for obesity eventually need to have the devices removed because of erosion or some other malfunction, researchers say.

Among 82 patients followed for at least 12 years after lap-band surgery at a single institution, 49 had at least one reoperation for complications or device failure, according to Dr. Jacques Himpens, of Saint Pierre University Hospital in Brussels, end quote

Steve, Steve, Steve... just because you never heard of "it" doesn't it is not being done. Had you bothered to do a Google search for "band over sleeve" you would have had a ton of website hits, such as this one..

http://www.weightlossagents.com/lap-band-over-existing-sleeve.php

Besides, you are quoting data for band procedures and devices that are went of with high button shoes. Do a bit more research, please. Quoting hack articles from ABC would be the same as my using similar poorly researched tripe from CBS... such as this one:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gastric-bypass-surgery-gone-bad/

Edited by labwalker

My 2 cents worth.... ANYONE having surgery to alter their body. ....Better think deep and hard about altering their mindset.

I get that food addiction is very tough to manage and mostly unsuccessful. Unless you get a tool to help...

Short term WW. Jenny Craig etc will work.

I had enough of feeling like I failed for years. I have reviled in joy and health for 8 years and will support anyone who chooses to truly change their life ....in any positive way...

Just me

Mrsto- first off I do not Allege my surgeon said what he did. This is not a trial. He said what he said, you can believe it or not that's your right, but please do not cast aspersions on ME. thank you. I have never put the band down. I will say this I have Never heard of any person getting a band on top of their sleeve, a band on top of a full bypass is similarly moronic.

But since you want to challenge me, here are just a few stats for you. Oh and on the personal note, I know of 4 people who have had wls. Hardly a large enough sample I agree, but 3 of those had lap bands 1 had full bypass, out of the three lap band patients they have all had theirs removed within 2 years of surgery 2 have since gained back more weight than they lost. The one person with full bypass lost the most weight by far and has kept it off without complication for over 5 years now. That's my personal experience and it in no way reflects anything but that.

Now as to that data :

Study C 200 28.8% 2014 -

and

According to ABC news

Among 82 patients followed for at least 12 years after lap-band surgery at a single institution, 49 had at least one reoperation for complications or device failure, according to Dr. Jacques Himpens, of Saint Pierre University Hospital in Brussels, and colleagues.

They also reported online in Archives of Surgery that 41 had the bands removed during follow-up, with 14 then undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. In all but a few cases, inadequate weight loss or device breakdown was the reason for band removal.

Now as I said personally whatever works for you is GREAT! My method isn't better than yours for you and your method is not the best for me.

Stevehud - the comment you are referring to was not made by me; I believe it was Labwalker. There is something wrong with this site, that when I "quote" under someones comment, it takes away the separation between who said what. When I noticed that happen, I changed my text to blue. I'm willing to take a beating for something I say that may have upset someone, but I cannot take credit for the comment that you're referring to.

Alex - is there a way to fix this issue on the site? I've had it happen before.