Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Doctors, I don't know!

There are some USA doctors performing the Lap Band Surgery now a days charging between $13,000 and $14,000 for the self pays. Why would anyone risk their lives and go down to Mexico and have the surgery done for $8,000 to $11,000 dollars? The Mexican doctors should be charging no more than $6,000 to $8,000 for the surgery since there are no high insurance cost and any threats of being taken to court for malpractice.

Hi Dan

I live in Southern California

I researched the band for over 6 months! I did not and never would qualify for my insurance to pay for my band for 2 reasons #1 being that Blue Cross of California does not cover it and #2 even if they did I was not a candidate. I had none ZERO co- morbitities. I was in perfect health just FAT!

I went to 3 doctors here in my area. All three of them were over 15,000 dollars, all3 of them were trained by Mexican doctors, 2 of them by Dr .Ortiz

( my Mexican Surgeon) both of these 2 were the ones who told me about Dr. Ortiz and asked if I had ever considered Mexico as an option since I was a self pay so with that I felt very confident in my choice to go to Mexico. I also contacted Inamed and asked for a list of Dr.'s in Mexico and Ortiz's name was at the top of the list. An Inamed representative told me Dr. Ortiz was a proctor for Inamed and traveled the country and the world to teach this surgery again I felt very confident in my choice. Yes malpractice is an issue in Mexico but it can happen any where. I wanted a doctor with experience, a doctor who had placed several hundred if not thousands of bands. Dr. Ortiz was the man for me! I got lucky I got it cheaper then here in the states and I also had one of the most experienced band surgeons in the country. Do you realize that most Mexica ndoctors give you their cell phone numbers to cal lthem anytime day or night with any questions or problems?? Tha is un heard of here in the states, to get through to your doc here in the US you have to go through an auto mated service to have a message taken and hope to god they get back to you the same day.The incredible care I recieved in Mexico, not just from Dr. Ortiz & his staff but also from the hospital staff is not even comparable to here in the US..I do not regret my decision for one single second. This is why I chose Mexico over US

I ended up choosing a surgeon here in Houston. I was self-pay and paid $14,000. But first I researched the Mexican docs. It so happened that Houston has a very experienced band surgeon, but I felt more comfortable using him because Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico recommended him. In general the Mexican doctors are much more experienced with the band and were preceptors for the U.S. doctors who learned to place the band. Of course, just as anywhere else, there are good Mexican surgeons and bad ones, but I think using them makes sense for many. And why should they charge so much less when they actually are more experienced than U.S. docs?

I think this is one of those personal choice issues. Both options are good, it just depends on the circumstances. I have a semi-local doctor who charges $12500 for self-pay. Add tests and aftercare ($3500 and optional) and it is much more. It seems that most of the Mexican docs provide free follow-up and tests are included.

I'm happy with my choice, but easily see why other people choose differently. I think I would have done just as well had I chosen to go to Mexico. To each his own and I'm glad we have so many options. :cool:

Dan, so much depends on where one lives and what the medical situation is in that area. I think that as time goes on and doctors realize how many banded patients they are able to take on and how successful people can be, the prices will come down. But it's just not the same everywhere and everyone's situation is different.

I think also that Mexico has a very bad reputation for their doctors, and I think it's based on old, and maybe not accurate information. People are still scared of Mexican Water, when Mexico has had American sewer systems installed in most of their cities for years now.

Dr. Rumbaut was my surgeon, and I couldn't have been happier with him. I had a small procedure done a year or so back at a hospital here and I was so much happier with Dr. Rumbaut and the hospital staff in Mexico. When I was researching I didn't find anyone in the US for less than $18000. Perhaps I didn't give the US a fair chance, but after Dr. Rumbaut called me personally 2 weeks before my surgery just to make sure I didn't have any questions for him I was even more sure that I'd made the right choice.

Beyond just liking Dr. Rumbaut, you also have to consider that the band is relatively new to the US, and most of the US doctors were trained by Mexican, Italian or Swedish doctors. The FDA claims that current crazy health costs are caused by us footing the bill for studies in new medical technology and new medicine, but it seems to me that most of this stuff is developed and researched outside the US, and the Healthcare facilities here are just takin us for a ride... (stepping off of soap box now)

I researched Dr. Rumbaut extensively ....There was not one negative thing written on any of these boards or others from people who went to him I can't say that about some of the other Mexican Dr.s and I initially shared your view. I am scheduled 10/19 with Rumbaut and he referred me for my aftercare , emergenicies (hopefully not those ) and all fills to NYU 's Dr. Ren and Dr. George Fielding. She was on Oprah and he will be on the Jane Pauley show regarding the lap band next week. They are the top lapband Dr.'s in the US today . I went in to NYC last night to a seminar they gave at NYU medical center. They are the real deal and they are taking care of his patients once back in US. That confirms what I read and researches on his reputation. NYU Dr's are 20,000 for the procedure I may not qualify for insurance therefore the decision.... After last night and speaking to them both I am at ease with my decision now for sure and am now really looking forward to the procedure. Look up a wesite called Lori's Lap Band Surgery ---she does not update regularly BUT there is an extensive photo library of the entire trip. The hospital ( not a clinic ) looks beautiful.

Just because a surgeon is American, doesn't mean that he is more skillful. You could be taking a bigger risk in the American system if you select a surgeon who is not well experienced. Research your surgeon thoroughly!

Another Rumbaut patient speaking up here: Dan, check out the "Mexico misconceptions" thread at http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3111. As several bandsters point out, not all Mexican docs are equal (neither of course are their Yankee counterparts), but some of the most experienced and well-respected surgeons are in Mexico.

I went to Monterrey Mexico for my fill,and My Doctor was awesome! Both him and his wife(also a Dr.) were so much more understanding and willing to talk and ease my fears. The hospital I went to was owned by an American and boy was it a better experience than any American hospital I have ever been to! I t was a great experience,I think it is just up to your circumstances.

I also had a great experience in Mexico. The private hospitals are top notch. I had a personal nurse and the best of care. My doctor would come see me 2-3 times per day and would stay and answer any questions or concerns I had. All in all, I made a great choice.

Prices may be lower now in the U.S. but back in 2004 they were still really high. And besides I only weighed 190 lbs, I would have not been able to get the surgery here.

My Dallas doctor is charging $10K for the band (includes everything except the shrink and required Optifast before and after surgery). This is just an introductory offer, since the clinic is new, but I'm wondering if stuff like this might generate some downward pressure on prices in the US.

Looking at what doctors charge for other similar surgery, it seems to me that lap-band surgeons are really taking advantage, getting the bucks while they can.

Angie in Texas, US

The fee for my surgery is $14,500 which includes a year of follow up visits, doesn't matter how many. He also gives his cell phone number to all of his patients and they can call him at anytime and he will answer. He also will not touch a patient who was banded in Mexico. He says they are too high risk.

My surgeon, Dr. Melniczek in Denver is charging 10K for the surgery and 3 months of fills. Fills are $150 thereafter. I have his cell number and email and he has called me twice. I'm getting banded in a couple of weeks.

This is a very sticky subject. I researched the band for 6 months. I went to 2 separate seminars in Orange County, CA and the price was around 17k for self pay. When I began my journey I thought "no way will I go to Mexico" After I started reading the forums I thought I will look into Mexico. There is a thread on here about a lady who was vomitting uncontrolably, not from her band but from a stomach virus unrelated to her band. She went to the ER and spent several days in the hosptial. When she got to the hospital she told them she was banded. Instead of taking her fill out, they gave her anti nausea meds which did not work. To make a long story short, she vomitted so much that her stomach doubled over itself somehow and it began to "die". They had to do emergency surgery to remove the band and part of her "dead" stomach which could have been prevented if they would have unfilled her in the first place. That particular hospital had a bariatric surgery department and still neglected to unfill her band. The doctor who removed the band said that it was the best lap band placement he had ever seen. Guess where she got it done at...Mexico with Dr. Ortiz.

I am now nearly 2 months out and i had my surgery done by Dr. Ortiz. His clinic was clean, brand new and his staff was fabulous. I thought like most "anti-Mexican" doctor people did in the beginning...dirt floors, rusty instruments, yellow Water...I mean it is TJ Mexico, it couldn't be any better than that. I went to see the clinic before I scheduled my surgery as I am only 2 hours away, I met the staff, talked to some patients and made up my mind. Now I just smile at those who paid twice as much and are not any better off than I am at this point and are bad mouthing Mexico patients and doctors.

Geographically, Mexico is close to me. It is conveniant for me to go down there for my fills. If I lived across the US I would not have done it this way, airfare and time off of work, it wouldn't be worth it to me. If you feel so strongly against Mexican doctors and you live in California, go down and check it out for yourself. I did not risk my life anymore than I would have walking into an American doctor's office. I am completely happy with my band, i have not had any problems and my journey has been a smooth one. My first fill went great with Dr. Romero and I will go back there again. I would recommend Dr. Ortiz and his staff to anyone thinking about going to Mexico. Get over your fears and check it out for yourself, it is nice to go to a doctor and a staff that knows how to treat treat patients. Good luck on your journey wherever you may be. Don't write Mexico off, just chose the right Doc.