Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Doctors, I don't know!

The fee for my surgery is $14,500 which includes a year of follow up visits, doesn't matter how many. He also gives his cell phone number to all of his patients and they can call him at anytime and he will answer. He also will not touch a patient who was banded in Mexico. He says they are too high risk.

Too high risk for what, I wonder? I daresay Dr. Ortiz has done more lapbands than your doctor (Dr. Ortiz also gives his cell phone number to patients).

When I had to have my band removed the surgeon was very anti lap band yet told me it was the best one he'd seen.

Would your doctor "touch a patient" of another US doctor who performed the surgery regardless of their qualifications?

Too high risk for what, I wonder? I daresay Dr. Ortiz has done more lapbands than your doctor (Dr. Ortiz also gives his cell phone number to patients).

When I had to have my band removed the surgeon was very anti lap band yet told me it was the best one he'd seen.

Would your doctor "touch a patient" of another US doctor who performed the surgery regardless of their qualifications?

I don't know why he said what he did. He may have been speaking in general. I guess he has seen a lot of bad banding jobs and that is what he based his judgement on. I don't know how he feels about Dr. Ortiz specifically. I know from being on the boards and researching reference materials that Dr. Ortiz is a leader in the field and has trained many American doctors. Like I said, I don't know if he was speaking in general terms or what. I was just repeating what he said. I didn't interrogate him as to the reasons for his opinion.

I went to Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado for $9950. He is a very skilled and reputable surgeon. One of the most experienced laproscopic surgeons in Colorado. You only have to go to Colorado once. They do the initial consultation with the doctor and nutritionist over the phone. He gives free fills for 3 months, then they are only $15. (That's right- only $15). His fills are so reasonable that it doesn't cost that much more to travel back and forth to him for fills.

It's very sad about this lady with the flipped band --- violent vomiting can do that to you, and the hospital ER should have treated it much more aggressively.

You can't really blame Dr. Ortiz for this, as you have discovered --- this is an unrelated event and could happen to anybody. But I feel awfully sorry for this lady. Imagine how terrifying that must have been!

Angie in Texas, US

This is a very sticky subject. I researched the band for 6 months. I went to 2 separate seminars in Orange County, CA and the price was around 17k for self pay. When I began my journey I thought "no way will I go to Mexico" After I started reading the forums I thought I will look into Mexico. There is a thread on here about a lady who was vomitting uncontrolably, not from her band but from a stomach virus unrelated to her band. She went to the ER and spent several days in the hosptial. When she got to the hospital she told them she was banded. Instead of taking her fill out, they gave her anti nausea meds which did not work. To make a long story short, she vomitted so much that her stomach doubled over itself somehow and it began to "die". They had to do emergency surgery to remove the band and part of her "dead" stomach which could have been prevented if they would have unfilled her in the first place. That particular hospital had a bariatric surgery department and still neglected to unfill her band. The doctor who removed the band said that it was the best lap band placement he had ever seen. Guess where she got it done at...Mexico with Dr. Ortiz.

That was me :wink2:

I suspect (and this is just an assumption, take it as you will.....) that many US doctors are feeling the pressure of patient loss to Mexico, especially for self pay.

If you have a regular doctor, someone to do your fills (I used TJ for 2 fills, then Fillcentersusa opened near me), and knowledge you don't need to care if an American WLS Dr. will "touch" a Mexican banded patient or not.

BTW, when I FINALLY spoke to the WLS department of the hospital I was admitted to (the day before I was released after a week........) I was told that they would NEVER refuse to work on a Mexican banded patient. Period.

It's very sad about this lady with the flipped band --- violent vomiting can do that to you, and the hospital ER should have treated it much more aggressively.

You can't really blame Dr. Ortiz for this, as you have discovered --- this is an unrelated event and could happen to anybody. But I feel awfully sorry for this lady. Imagine how terrifying that must have been!

Angie in Texas, US

Unfortunately the anti-nausea meds put me into what I can only call an hallucinogenic haze. I have no memory of the first few days after being in the ER for a few hours and being pumped filled with anti-nausea meds. I HATE needles and even pulled my own IV out - I'm someone who in their right mind is PETRIFIED to move my arm when the IV is in there. I told them the Japanese had stolen my phone, there were stuffed animals running around the room, etc. So....I wasn't terrified, but my family sure was :wink2:

One thing I have learned - DO NOT EVER LEAVE SOMEONE AT THE HOSPITAL ALONE. After I flatlined (no I don't remember that either), my family took shifts and never left me there. Do not trust the hospital workers to do what's best. I had read this in a recent Reader's Digest article but apparently my family had not, lol.

I was banded it seems like forever ago by Dr. Rodriguez... no problems lovin life... But I must admit had I known about a Dr in co. doing it for the same price I would have gone to him... Mexico was far for me.

:confused::rolleyes:Hi can you give some more info on dr. castellanos I am thinking getting the surgery - I only weight 186 lbs olmost like you I live near the border.

I also had a great experience in Mexico. The private hospitals are top notch. I had a personal nurse and the best of care. My doctor would come see me 2-3 times per day and would stay and answer any questions or concerns I had. All in all, I made a great choice.

Prices may be lower now in the U.S. but back in 2004 they were still really high. And besides I only weighed 190 lbs, I would have not been able to get the surgery here.

Hi, adding my 2lbs....I am being banded by Dr. Ortiz on 3/18/08. There were several reasons I chose him

#1. As it has been previously stated, he is one of the leading surgeons and has trained many of the American doctors

#2, this is all he does - lap bands

#3- I have done extentsive research on him and have not found any issues #4. His office staff is GREAT!!! I email them almost daily with a new question and they have been friendly and quick to respond

#5. His past patients love him (and his staff)

#6. As a self payer, it is $7950 vrs $22000 - thats a HUGE difference.

I think each person needs to do what is right for them. I have had numerous conversations with nurses and the general public and many of them believe that the health care in Mexico (and India) are far above ours in the US.

Besides, the $$$ I save is going to plastic surgery when I am done.