Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Doctors, I don't know!

tj is a good place:thumbup: to go i was done on2/9/08 down 23lbs :scales:dr took good care of me i would go back :confused:

I agree. Although I have nothing against bandsters who have had surgery in other countries, it seems risky. Some foreign doctors could be good but many are shady, unlicensed, have dirty operating rooms, use recycled parts.

Why take a risk with your health to save a couple of thousand bucks? I have seen too many of those Montel shows where people had plastic surgery in foreign countries and died or had complicaitons.

There was this one lady who got breast implants in Mexico. They used old breast implants extracted from another woman! The woman flew back to America barely alive in intensive care. She has suffered through so many health problems because of this and is lucky to be alive!

There are many American hospitals that let you participate in studies. My hospital gave me lap band surgery for $12,500 cash which is good considering they normally charge $25,000. I was part of a low BMI study so I got the half price discount at a great hospital.

Don't take chances with surgery. I am quite a bargain shopper. I paid $1300 for two 42 inch flat screen tvs online at the Philips outlet. They are refurbished so they might last, they might not. But surgery is not an area where you should disregard quality and shop only for price. Your life is worth more than a $3000 price difference.

There are some USA doctors performing the Lap Band Surgery now a days charging between $13,000 and $14,000 for the self pays. Why would anyone risk their lives and go down to Mexico and have the surgery done for $8,000 to $11,000 dollars? The Mexican doctors should be charging no more than $6,000 to $8,000 for the surgery since there are no high insurance cost and any threats of being taken to court for malpractice.

Surgery in a foreign country isn't quite the crapshoot some people think it is. I've heard of people in the US who had just as bad complications as people elsewhere. Cost was part of why I went to Mexico, but I did pay more for my surgeon than some other surgeons because my research told me how much experience that he had, not to mention the fact that he is a doctor that comes up here and proctors our doctors, in other words, teaches them the banding technique.

I think all in all you have to go with your first initial (pardon the pun) gut instinct upon meeting with the doctor. If insurance wasn't an option for me I would definetly look into a getting it done out of country (read as Mexico, canada etc) but if my instincts tell me to run, not walk but run away fast I would be out of there.

If the option is there for you to go down and meet with the staff and the doctor then do it, if you feel comfortable then go for it, if not look into other options (financing etc).

It all comes down to how the doctor and his staff make you feel.

There are many American hospitals that let you participate in studies. My hospital gave me lap band surgery for $12,500 cash which is good considering they normally charge $25,000. I was part of a low BMI study so I got the half price discount at a great hospital.

How do you find out about these things? I love studies and would love to participate in one.

you need to look at it check it out the hospital angeles Tijuana bariatric group nice place clean state of art place 2 days at hospital 1 day at 4 star hotel it was as good or better as usa

There are some USA doctors performing the Lap Band Surgery now a days charging between $13,000 and $14,000 for the self pays. Why would anyone risk their lives and go down to Mexico and have the surgery done for $8,000 to $11,000 dollars? The Mexican doctors should be charging no more than $6,000 to $8,000 for the surgery since there are no high insurance cost and any threats of being taken to court for malpractice.

A doctor here in Phoenix charges $16,500. I paid $7800 in Mexico.

The cost of the surgery depends on many factors, how many days in a hospital vs. a clinic, number of staff, services provided, etc. Personally I don't think surgery in the US should be more than $8K including the hospital. Doctors are in the business to make money, just like the rest of us go to work daily.

Most of all, what in the world makes you think someone is risking their life by going to Mexico? Check out infections being posted around here. I have seen one Mexican infection in the last few months and about 15 US infections. Considering the last large, long term poll I saw here 55% of the folks had surgery in Mexico and 45% had surgery in the US. So what's up with those infections?

It doesn't matter what country you go to for surgery, your own or another... research is key. There are many very good US surgeons, there are also a ton of US surgeons that see that banding is a big money maker and they want some of that money pie as well. They are new, inexperienced, and their stats are going to be higher during their learning curve. For me it came down to something quite simple. I can go to the student in the US for $16,500 for outpatient surgery where they shove me out the door when I wake up or I can go to the teacher and two nights in a privately owned hospital (vs. clinic/surgery center) for $7800. It was a no brainer. The student had done several hundred bands, my Mexican surgeon has done 1700 bands.

It was not a difficult decision in the least.

Please, educate yourself before painting an entire country with a broad paintbrush.

Where do you live? Call around the hospitals in your area and ask if there are any lap band studies you can participate in and ask what the price is. I had my surgery at Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville, NY. Its a program through Columbia U. It was for people with a bmi over 35 but less than 40. I think if you can get into a study where they give you a discount, it is much better than flying to a foreign country for surgery. I got lap band surgery for $12,500 in New York, which is a great deal.

How do you find out about these things? I love studies and would love to participate in one.