Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not telling family

This is a really difficult one for me,i am a widow with just one surviving son.My precious younger son commited suicide by hanging himself 4 years ago and my older treasured son was the person who found him.I remember us clinging together on that dreadful day and i promised him and he promised me that we would never do anything that would take us away from each other.Shortly after my gastric band slipped and i had to have emergency surgery and was in intensive care.I will never forget my son`s distraught face when he came to see me.We have gone through so much together and though we miss my other son and always will we have found some joy in life through my grandsons and my son is getting married after Christmas to a girl that i can only describe as the daughter i never had.

My weight has got out of control and my mobility was suffering and i knew i had to do something,i want to be around to share my life with my son and his wife and grandchildren.So though i would never lie to my lovely son i just haven`t told him yet.He would never judge me but i couldn`t tell him till i came out the other side.I am 5days out of surgery and i am going to stay at his house on 6th Dec.I shall tell him then.Lpve to you all and best wishes.pippinleicester x

I haven’t told my family, I just told one member after the surgery. I did say I was having surgery though, God forbid something happened to me I wanted them to know where I went and that I loved them. My reasoning is because its personal and I rather do it at my own time and I have one member of my family that is the human social media. Once they know, people in China will be tweeting about it. So I have to wait get my health back to normal and my routine in tact. As for the holidays, I do not like lying. I would say I don’t want, can’t have or something that is closer to the truth. Eventually it will be known so just take it slow and do what feels comfortable. For me it will be once I am feeling like my normal self. I am not ashamed, I just need time to deal with this life change before I start letting others give me their unwanted 2 cents. :)

This is a really difficult one for me,i am a widow with just one surviving son.My precious younger son commited suicide by hanging himself 4 years ago and my older treasured son was the person who found him.I remember us clinging together on that dreadful day and i promised him and he promised me that we would never do anything that would take us away from each other.Shortly after my gastric band slipped and i had to have emergency surgery and was in intensive care.I will never forget my son`s distraught face when he came to see me.We have gone through so much together and though we miss my other son and always will we have found some joy in life through my grandsons and my son is getting married after Christmas to a girl that i can only describe as the daughter i never had.

My weight has got out of control and my mobility was suffering and i knew i had to do something,i want to be around to share my life with my son and his wife and grandchildren.So though i would never lie to my lovely son i just haven`t told him yet.He would never judge me but i couldn`t tell him till i came out the other side.I am 5days out of surgery and i am going to stay at his house on 6th Dec.I shall tell him then.Lpve to you all and best wishes.pippinleicester x

God bless you and your family. Let him know as soon as you can. I fully understand the pain and the fear, but I feel he will also understand you wanted to be around from them, but also yourself. You seem like a strong woman and I wish you continued strength and blessings.

I told my immediate family which consist of my mom and sister. We all live on the same street and if I had disappeared for 2 days she would have freaked. I also thought it would be terrible if something wrong occurred during surgery and she had no idea. I had an incident where I went to the hospital for an allergic reaction and instead of the usual IV benedryl treatment they put me in a medical coma. No one knew where I was and my mother was scared. I didn't want to do that to her so at the week of my surgery I told her. Honestly if I could have not told her, I wouldn't have.

If you can just say you're under the weather or have no appetite that might be fine.

I have not had surgery yet, but I have told anyone who will listen. I tend to tell too much. But everyone has been supportive and even intrested themselves. They are even asking advice. I have had a couple say it seems extreme, but they are still supportive

I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I can understand your hesitation and desire not to upset your son. Good luck on your journey and with talking with your son.

Besides my husband and my kids. I have decided not to tell anyone in my family. I have been really upset that they have badgered me about my weight gain and have made it very difficult for my to even want to be around them. What I find so insulting is that they are all extremely overweight but because my parents were both thin they assumed I should be as well. I hate also when people say that getting wls is the "easy" way out. How is it easy? I have give up almost everything and learn to re-eat and get treatment for learning how to stop overeating and go through the pain and struggle of doing without any support. If that is easy, what is hard?

I am so glad that your doing well and I understand not wanting to scare your son. My mother just lost her son at 39 to a massive stroke he was obese also it is a very very scary situation! Congrats on your surgery! !!!

Besides my husband and my kids. I have decided not to tell anyone in my family. I have been really upset that they have badgered me about my weight gain and have made it very difficult for my to even want to be around them. What I find so insulting is that they are all extremely overweight but because my parents were both thin they assumed I should be as well. I hate also when people say that getting wls is the "easy" way out. How is it easy? I have give up almost everything and learn to re-eat and get treatment for learning how to stop overeating and go through the pain and struggle of doing without any support. If that is easy, what is hard?

my family is the same way thankfully my boyfriend and mom are extremely understanding everyone else will not no!