Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Foodies out there?

I will let you know how I deal with it!! I am going on a date tonight to a bukhran restaurant (uzbeki - jewish) and have no idea what I can eat!

Matzaball soup!!!

Great idea but it isn't eastern european jewish it is central asian jewish and dont think they will have the matzah balls! PLUS I don't want the guy that I am going on this date with to think I don't eat!

Oye....:regular_smile: I"m dying to hear this menu!!!!

If there is a Knish there - get it , soft / mushy...So miss Jewish food living in TX after born/raised in NY...Have a great date BTW..that's most important!!

I sure am glad to hear from other foodies. I have such a large cookbook collection, love the foodnetwork, and love learning about new food and trying new places to eat. I am waiting to be banded, and decided to use my same interested to try to find healthy, fresh, and quality alternatives. It;s not how much you it, but how WELL you eat.

I am a foodie, too...and I have to recommend the most fascinating book...Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. I read this book in 2002...every night I would come home from work and I couldn't wait to read more. Mark has written Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World, too. It was an interesting read, also.

I've also read both of those Kurlansky books - he wrote another calle "A Basque History of The World" - fascinating and has recipes.

Cheers!

I used to love to have people over for "gourmet" meals. The more I weighed the harder it became. I'm sure I'm out of date but I love French food. No need to worry about portion size at a French restaurant.:thumbup: I have also swallowed my pride and ask up front for a to go box. Even the nice restaurants have them now. It takes the pressure off if I take half off my plate and stash it away in the box. Wonderful food for another day!:regular_smile: I do love to go to many ethnic places. The mixtures of seasonings and ingredients in an Indian, Mexican, or Thia cuisine is amazing.:tongue: Better stop now. I'm thinking too much about restaurants. I definitely need that second fill next week:biggrin2:

I sure am glad to hear from other foodies. I have such a large cookbook collection, love the foodnetwork, and love learning about new food and trying new places to eat. I am waiting to be banded, and decided to use my same interested to try to find healthy, fresh, and quality alternatives. It;s not how much you it, but how WELL you eat.

I'm glad to have other foodies to talk with....I know this won't be easy, but eventually its got to be reasonable?

Cheers!

I used to love to have people over for "gourmet" meals. The more I weighed the harder it became. I'm sure I'm out of date but I love French food. No need to worry about portion size at a French restaurant.:thumbup: I have also swallowed my pride and ask up front for a to go box. Even the nice restaurants have them now. It takes the pressure off if I take half off my plate and stash it away in the box. Wonderful food for another day!:regular_smile: I do love to go to many ethnic places. The mixtures of seasonings and ingredients in an Indian, Mexican, or Thia cuisine is amazing.:tongue: Better stop now. I'm thinking too much about restaurants. I definitely need that second fill next week:biggrin2:

Hi Taz - I love all those foods as well. I won't be doing any to go boxes - I'm usually working and on the road when I'm in these restaurants and taking stuff out with me is just not practical. I don't have a problem with leaving food on the plate because it seems wasteful - my problem has been cleaning the plate because I like it! When you are on the road 3-4 days a week and dining in some of the best restaurants, this becomes a problem.

Great idea but it isn't eastern european jewish it is central asian jewish and dont think they will have the matzah balls! PLUS I don't want the guy that I am going on this date with to think I don't eat!

I can't wait to hear about all the above as well!

Hi, Winegoddesstx. My husband has the same problem. He loves to try new beers as well as wine when he travels. For a couple of months he stopped drinking beer and Cokes and lost about 20 lbs. To say the least the world is not fair. I agree about how hard it is to leave food on the plate especially when you are traveling (especially 3-4 days a week). Did you get the guilt trip about all the children in China who are starving?:regular_smile:

Hi, Winegoddesstx. My husband has the same problem. He loves to try new beers as well as wine when he travels. For a couple of months he stopped drinking beer and Cokes and lost about 20 lbs. To say the least the world is not fair. I agree about how hard it is to leave food on the plate especially when you are traveling (especially 3-4 days a week). Did you get the guilt trip about all the children in China who are starving?:regular_smile:

Hi Taz - I think you misunderstood - I DON'T feel guilty about leaving food on the plate. The only reason I wouldn't stop eating is because I like it so much. When I stop to realize I am full/satisfied I have no problem leaving the food - that's why I never take a to-go box even when I'm dining in my hometown. I think I had a bigger stigma about being the fat chick carrying food out than I did about waste or the starving children in China.

Cheers!

Foodie here. Like the earlier posts, I find myself going for quality. I use butter, I use full strength everything, just not a ton of it. My husband is also a foodie and the main cook. He took this whole banding thing on as a challenge. He has made me all kinds of homemade Soups and the most delicious apple sauce I have ever eaten.

Hi everyone!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I started this thread last May and I'm so delighted to see it resurrected. I can tell you, a year out from surgery my relationship with food has evolved all for the better, I’d say. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I’ve gone on a Quest to learn about wine since juice based drinks and beer are off limits. It makes having a drink special, and like a little lesson. Also, I’ve discovered www.stashtea.com as a favorite tea retailer. I’m into cheese now too. I think because a little packs a lot of flavor. <o:p></o:p>

Because what we eat is limited my focus on quality has changed dramatically. I’ve always liked strong flavors but now I just don’t have room or patience for sub par food offerings. I don’t want to take a bite of my kid’s Easy Mac. (I tried fancy mac & cheese for her, but she refuses it!) I have to admit, I’m dying for summer and all the delicious produce that comes with it. It’s been a long winter! <o:p></o:p>

So, what are you cooking? <o:p></o:p>

I'm making my own sushi rolls today.

A very FEW grains of rice, and loads of cucumbers, avocado, crab, shrimp, and asparagus! (Not all in the same roll, I don't think it would fit.)

I am soooo looking forward to it!

Speaking of Mac and cheese, I purchased a box of Velveeta shells and cheese the other day thinking it might be a quick and easy dish for DH or as a side dish (haven't had any in well over a year) and I looked a tthe box last night...WHOA!!! One serving is 360 calories, and that box is supposedly 3 servings!!!! I remember eating the whole box! Now wonder I was fat! That'll be going in the trash.