Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber and 'Keeping Things Moving' (Toilet Talk)

I'm more than 3 months out now and finding regularity difficult to achieve. Prior to surgery I had no problem with this, as I have always enjoyed 100% whole grain and fruits/veggies. Even though I am back to a normal diet now and my Fiber intake is around 30g per day, the plumbing just doesn't work well. Thankfully I am able to go #2 every day, but it is difficult and not particularly productive. I can feel the volume build up over time, and my weight loss is rarely apparent until an especially good release (might not see the scale move for two weeks but then drop five pounds in a day).

There are a few things that sort of work. Stool softeners and kimchi work but give me the runs. Wheat Chex with milk works if taken in a large portion but irritates my sleeve and is high in calories. Surprisingly, Fiber One products and various other types of fiber supplements have not really helped, and I always take them with liquid as appropriate. I eat the following fiber-rich foods each day: a small Romaine salad, 2-3 servings of cooked veggies, 1-2 servings of fruit, and 1-2 servings of 100% whole grains (cooked barley, brown rice, whole wheat noodles, oats, etc.).

Do you have any tips or similar experiences to share? I'm aiming for everyday regularity, not a 'cleanse'. Does it just take time? Thanks!

coffee even as little as 2 ounces works.

Prunes

Organic apple cider vinegar used to work pre-surgery, 1 tsp a day. I prefer Braggs. I like the taste so I used to shoot it back, or add it to my Water. If you don't you can mix it with apple juice.< /p>

There's also a tea called Smooth Move.

Beans are a good source of fiber and will keep you regular. Try adding some black beans or chickpeas to your salad.< /p>

Edited by Blerdgirl

I am using fiber gummies with success but also an occasional stool softener

Benefiber has been helpful for me on advice of other sleevers. I use it in coffee, oatmeal, other things but mainly coffee. It dissolves completely and you can't tell it's in there. The Fiber one bars were helpful too, but has the side affect of gas. My gastroenterlogist explained that since sleevers are taking in less food volume, the colon perceives it doesn't have to "move things along" as frequently as normal.

Miralax helps some people, also(recommended by my gastro doc) but didn't help me as much as the Benefiber.

Looks like your on the right track with eating. Good luck!!

Raw carrot salad: grated fresh carrots, very low calorie mayo + raisins. Allow some time for the flavors to meld.

Flax seeds

Yeah struggling with irregularity myself...using benefiber, and saw my family doctor who suggested lactulose...things are starting to work! But sooooo gassy!

Certainly was a huge problem following surgery. Very painful. Stool softener helped. Started taking sugar free fiber tabs, and that has made life much more regular. Staying hydrated, especially during a dry winter is vital. Warm green tea in the morning was helpful too. That's what has worked in my limited experience.

Thanks for all your insights and suggestions! I will try them out.

Vita-fusion makes Fiber Well chewies that are really good. Two chewies is 5 grams of fiber and 10 calories. I eat two in the morning and two at night to boosts fiber

I found them at SAMs club but I think Amazon has them too

They're as good as gummie bears, but no sugar.

Yes Beans and peas. And they are high in Protein. I also snack on unsalted trail mix. The tiny nuts do a good job. Lots of Water will also address this. And exercise is the best at getting your colon moving.