Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hi there! I'm back! Thanks to everyone who responded to my question on whether you had told people that you were having the operation or not. My husband, father, brother, and two friends know, but that is all, and only two of them live in my state. I decided I'd just try to keep it quiet for the time being.

I've always been able to lose weight on my own, although I did use Phen/Fen back in the 90's, which I loved. I guess I saw this as an admission of failure, but I'm 48 and think it was time to admit that I needed some assistance. I can lose weight, but it always comes back on. I'm one of those people who is healthy, absolutely no health problems, not on any medications, etc., not morbidly obese, etc., but who had a weight problem. Was fortunate to find a doctor who would operate on someone with my BMI. I understand this happens more frequently in Europe, than here. All private pay of course, but I think it's worth it!

I'm doing well, but very tired of the liquids. Still not getting much more than 500 calories in a day, just because I don't care for the sickening sweet taste of the Meal Replacement shakes and the Protein drinks. I'm forcing myself to down them however. I don't feel any restriction at all, but am not really taste hungry, just eating because I know that I'm not getting enough calories in.

My post-op appt is next Thursday, which will be the 10th day following surgery, I hope he'll tell me I can go ahead and move forward to the soft food stage as I would love to have some actual meat even if it has to be ground up! The only thing I've tried that would be considered cheating is sucking on a teaspoon of creamy Peanut Butter the other day, to try to get over the 500 calorie mark. I took my time and let it dissolve on my tongue and it really seemed to help with my energy level.

Except for some light walking, I haven't started back on my exercise routine yet, which includes the treadmill, exercise bike, free weights, etc. I might try this afternoon, but I just don't seem to have any amount of energy since the operation. Weight still coming off though!

I am scheduled for 11:00, be there at 10, and only about 20 minutes from home. I met women at my med appointments that are doing the 2-4 hour drives. I really respect the additional committment y'all make!

Kathy, the new kitchen looks great! And your daughter does look very much like you. How neat for both of you!

Pre-op: I was told to do 2 Protein shakes a day, lean meat and veggies twice a day and a cup of fruit. At my seminar (same Dr. group as I chose for my surgery) we were told that the pre diet would be 2 weeks but they only told me to do one..... I actually started it about 10 days out because I was excited - now a tiny bit sorry! I think I am cheating b/c I count chinese food as the meat and veggies. I think they use a lot of oil and msg (read msg is probably bad for liver). I have to think of better things. Also, I've used a little feta or parmisan(sp) cheese in salads, topping them with a fish or some chicken.

They have me deleting all sugar and carbs. I had forgotten (Adkins diet days) how the carb cravings go away when I don't eat any! I think the POST diet is going to be harder b/c it may allow more carbs and therefore potential cravings to deal with.

I quit diet coke right away - just to be really comitted to the no soda rule. I LOVE being diet-coke free! I feel like I overcame an addiction!!!!

C

C,

I quit my Diet Coke in May. I was surprised how easy it was. Its amazing how when you get some of this stuff out of your system you don't really crave it any more!! Hope that happens with potatoes and pasta!!!

To New CC,

I gave up Diet Mountain Dews the day before the diet. I've been addicted to them since they first hit the market. I haven't really missed them all that much! Probably will change once I get back to real food. I wonder if caffeine and carbonation are really the big NO NO's that my doc says they are?

Having quit the diet soda habit I have noticed that when I think of a "crave food" I also want the diet coke. I now will admit that having the diet coke with a snack was a really bad combo. I bet 10 of 10 times, I would eat MORE if also drinking a diet coke! Great to be FREE!!

Kathybad, I also got the huge Migraine on day three. I forgot to have any caffeine. My regular medicine didn't even knock it out. Not three days though, poor you!!

I was a HUGE diet pepsi fan---for years. I would wake up and drink diet pepsi! the day before my 10 day pre-op liquid only diet, I decided to give up the diet pepsi. I drank about a six pack that day just to get my fill of them. Boy did I have a caffiene headache - for two days! I couldn't believe how miserable I was not having any caffiene. I am now caffiene free and am doing good. I still think I want a diet pepsi, but I think that is habit, not real desire.

good luck to all those today who need strength in getting the housework done---I enjoy housework and love my house nice and super clean, organized and put together. Put on some rockin' good music and boogie to the beat as you clean! you can do it!!!

Kathy: I really like the new kitchen --- it is going to be so much more workable for your family. Your little princess is beautiful --- just like you!

Lynette: I am sorry to hear about your family, I am happy to hear that YOU are making a difference in life and not choosing that path - YOU GO GIRL!

TTFN :car:

Okay, I do apologize, I deleted it and mine seems to be back to normal!!!! Yours all okay???? Sorry again!!!!

Sunny, good idea to get your son to cut grass! Nice to get anyone to do anything! LOL

Kathy, Your kitchen is beautiful and your little girl is precious!!!! She does look an awful lot like you! It was just meant to be!!!!

Brandy, sounds like you are doing great!!!

Princesswillow, Since you enjoy cleaning, I'll hire you, lol!!!!!! I can always find something better to do!!!!!:car:

I guess I'm glad I'm not a big soda drinker, sounds like you've all went through some miserable headaches after quitting.

I'm a Water lover myself. I have always hated diet sodas, and would always drink water when dieting. I just developed a thing for it which I am grateful for now, as it helps the lbs come off.

Tracy's Lapband

If anyone is interested in the info I attached that totally screwed up the thread, it is this one! There is a lot of information there, especially if you need ideas on what to eat in each stage. Sorry again, Bandbuddies!!!:car:

Yeah, the Water really isn't that bad! I don't mind not having soda either and I enjoyed Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi, but no problem now!

PrincessWillow, thanks, I know I'm on the right path now.

Brandy, I'm a peanutbutter addict. Love the stuff. I've been putting it into my chocolate shakes. Sometimes I add in a banana too. Yum, and I savor every last morsel of it on the spoon.

Anyone make cucumber Soup? I read about it in several threads and looked up a recipe for it ... I made it for tonight, but not sure it will go over too big, lol!!!! I may have it around for awhile, lol!!!!! I will let you know!!! Hubby's on his way home, he just called, so won't be long to get the verdict!!! It says to serve hot or cold, but I have a feeling they would rather I serve it to the garbage can, lol!!!!!!!:help:

dmtjet, sounds ok, though I've never had it, but I'd think it may be better cold. There's a place around here that serves deep fried pickles, and they are awful, and I like pickles. Some things are just better left in the cold!! Let us know how it is, and what you put in it. Hey, you can post it on the Recipe thread.

Kathybad, I'll have to try your lentil Soup. I've never had it but it sounds tasty. My DH loves spicy so he'll probably like it too.

What time is everyone's surgery? Mine is at 1pm. I drive to Toronto that morning (2-1/2 hr drive) and back home that night. So I won't be online until the next day likely.

My surgery is at 10:30 am. Have to be there at 8:30 am but I only live about 15 minutes away. So far I go first.

Kathy, are you sure this isn't your real daughter...It is amazing how much she looks like you. But you know, 2 of my cousins are adopted, they are adults now. and they look just like their parents, Mike looks just like his mom and Susan looks just like her dad. God plans it that way..:car:

You kitchen is going to be beautiful. Loved the pics and the fact that they were small...:biggrin1:

NewCC, you are stronger than me. I haven't given up the diet coke yet. I imagine if they would let me I would be sipping on one as we entered the OR...:car:

I haven't seen a post from JennyL, our other band buddy. Hope she posts here times for Thursday also